How to Report a Dog Bite to Eugene Animal Control

Animal Control How to Report a Dog Bite to Eugene Animal Control

Do You Want to Report a Vicious Dog to Eugene Animal Control Services?

Did you or a loved one suffer a dog bite? Do you want to notify the authorities? If you do, we're going to show you how to file an animal attack report with Eugene animal control officials, as well as pave the way should you decide to sue the owner in small claims court.

And if you want to do either of these the easy way, we'll show you how with DoNotPay.

About Eugene Animal Services

Eugene Animal Services is a division of the City of Eugene's police department and is mandated to enforce animal ordinances and protect animals from abuse. Their jurisdiction is within Eugene's city limits, while Lane County animal control officers handle cases in unincorporated areas of Lane County.

Why You Should Report All Dog Attacks to Eugene Animal Control Officers

You might think, "I don't plan to sue the owner, and the bite wasn't THAT bad... I don't want to get Eugene animal control officers involved." While most dog bites are minor, unprovoked animal bites and attacks—mainly if the dog was off-leash in a public area or on your property—should be reported in the interest of other people's safety and that of their pets

You might find out down the road that the attack had less-obvious effects on you or another victim. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms may not arise right away, and if you were knocked down, you might not feel the effects of a physical injury for a day or two.

That's why it's prudent to take the necessary steps now.

Connecting With Eugene’s Animal Services

If you want to file a dog bite report with Eugene's animal control enforcement officers, you can reach them with the following information. Note, if the attack is ongoing or there’s a severe injury to a person, call 911 immediately.

Address300 Country Club Road, Eugene, OR 97401
Phone Number541-687-4060
Fax Number541-682-8456
Lane County animal control information
Eugene's animal-related ordinances

If a Dog Bites You, Can You Sue?

If you are the victim of an unprovoked animal attack, you have the right to take the owner and the handler to small claims court. While you do not need a dog bite lawyer for small claims court, it helps to have an advocacy service like DoNotPay's Sue Now product on your side.

How to File an Animal-Related Incident to Eugene Animal Control: The DIY Way

After an animal attack, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention if you or another victim experienced broken skin or other injuries. Next, you should begin documenting everything that happened.

1. Summon a Eugene Animal Control Officer

If possible, convince all parties to remain at the scene while you request that an officer from Eugene Animal Services respond to make a report. The officer will interview everyone involved, including witnesses, and file a report on your behalf.

Unfortunately, you can't force the owner or handler of the dog or witnesses to stay on-site until an officer arrives. As is often the case, there are no officers available at that particular time.

2. Gather Your Evidence

Regardless of an official's involvement at the scene, begin thinking like a dog bite lawyer and take note of everything you can. Here's the information you'll need to file a report, and you'll want it on-hand if you decide to take the owner to court.

  • The date and time of the incident
  • Where the incident occurred
  • Was it public or private property? If personal, whose?
  • Was it an off-leash area?
  • The names of the dog's owner and handler and any witnesses to the incident
  • A description of the dog(s) involved in the altercation
  • Any medical, mental wellness, or veterinary bills incurred after the dog attack
  • Whether the event was provoked
  • You'll need to prove that you were "minding your own business" when the dog attack occurred.

3. Submit Your Report

We recommend typing up a cover letter summarizing the above (attached) information and clearly stating that you wish to file a report. Even if you speak with an animal control officer after the fact, insist that they include your information to keep on record.

And keep copies of everything for your records.

4. Follow Up

Once the report's been filed, ask for an official copy. Find out what actions were taken against the owner of the dog.

How to Report an Animal-Related Incident With DoNotPay

If you want to report an animal-related injury, but you want to make sure you're doing it right, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:

  1. Search "animal" on DoNotPay, find the Animal Control product, and select whether you've sustained a physical injury.


  2. Select whether you would like to report this incident to your local government agency, or demand compensation from the pet owner.


  3. Tell us more about the incident, including when and where you were injured, a description of the animal that caused the injury, and the contact information for the pet owner (if known).


And that's it. DoNotPay will file the demand letter or government report on your behalf with your incident details. You should hear back from them directly with further questions/confirmation regarding your demands.

Does DoNotPay Handle Animal Control Issues in Other Areas?

Yes, we'll file a dog bite report in any U.S. jurisdiction on your behalf. Learn more about just a few of our most active locations:

Why DoNotPay Is the Best Way to File a Dog Bite Report in Eugene

We're the wise option because we make filing a report simple, fast, and successful and we can quickly draft and send a demand letter to the dog's owner to recover your costs.

Let us help you put this incident behind you today. Tomorrow, you can look forward to learning about our other consumer advocacy services.

Want your issue solved now?