The Ultimate Guide to Winning Essay Scholarships
Most students need additional financial assets to cover their educational costs, but not everyone can achieve an excellent GPA or engage in community activities. The good news is—not all the scholarships and grants are based on these criteria. Essay scholarships are a perfect example of the award you can get with a little bit of creativity and your passion for the written word.
If you feel like trying your luck with such a scholarship but don’t have enough info, this article will solve all your dilemmas. It will teach you where to find essay scholarship contests, how to apply for them, and how to write a top-grade essay that will win the award for you.
Essay scholarships are a type of financial support for college, high school, and grad school students from various backgrounds. To qualify for them, you usually have to compose an essay based on the specific topic proposed by the scholarship provider. You may be required to write about personal skills, experiences, and achievements or respond to a topic based on current world events and issues.
While you can apply for some of these scholarships by writing an essay only, other contests may require you to have solid academic performance or other special qualifications as well. The amount you can get may vary from a few hundred to several thousand dollars, depending on the type and provider of the financial award.
Scholarship essay contests come from many resources, including:
- State scholarship providers
- Your employer or your parents’ companies
- Student aid departments of the colleges or high schools you are attending
- Various foundations offering annual scholarships
- Community, religious, or ethnicity-based organizations
- Professional associations dedicated to your fields of interest
Besides inquiring about the available scholarships in the above-mentioned institutions, you can perform an online search. The main disadvantage of this method is that the websites listing these scholarships don’t have advanced search filters. This means you have to spend some time reviewing all the results and choosing the ones that match your needs and affinities.
A quicker and more efficient option is to use DoNotPay to extract the awards you qualify for in a few taps.
To help you get a better understanding of the available options, we have compiled a list of popular essay scholarships in the USA and divided them into three categories—the ones for:
- High school students—juniors and seniors
- College students—undergraduates and graduates
- Both student groups
|Essay Scholarship Type||Scholarship Programs||Essay Topic|
|High school scholarship essay contests||Better Business Bureau Ethnical Torch Essay Scholarship||Using ethics and integrity when facing an ethical dilemma|
|Margaret Mary Missar/John Carroll Society Scholarship||Considerations about faith|
|AFA Teens for Alzheimer's Awareness College Scholarship||The way Alzheimer’s affects people’s families and personal lives|
|College scholarship essay contests||Center for Alcohol Policy Essay Contest||Alcohol policy-related American court cases|
|American Backflow Prevention Association ABPA Harrington-Arthur Memorial Scholarship Essay||Backflow prevention, the importance of drinking water, etc.|
|Unigo College Review Scholarship||Accredited colleges listed on the provider’s website|
|The Christopher W. Keyser Scholarship||Law, history, journalism, criminal justice, political science|
|American Bullion Scholarship||Various|
|Essay scholarships for both student groups||Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives Essay Contest||Spanish civil war and fights against fascism in the 1920s and 1930s|
|Invensis Young Thinker Scholarship||Robotic technologies and automation|
|Herrman and Herrman Innovation Scholarship Essay||Various—the candidates can write poems, essays, or stories or present other types of art pieces|
|Ayn Rand Institute Essay Contest||Ayn Rand’s novels|
|The Branson Shows Inspired Scholarship||Personal and professional dreams and plans|
Here are the two main steps you should consider when filing an essay scholarship application:
- Do your best to compose a good essay—The key to a successful essay scholarship application is a great piece of writing. You should:
- Check all the additional criteria if there are any—For some scholarship providers, writing an essay isn’t enough. They may require additional documents to proceed further with your application. The extra paperwork may include:
- Proof of the required minimum GPA, if applicable
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of participation in specific activities that may increase your chances of getting the scholarship
DoNotPay features the Apply for Scholarships feature that enables you to filter all existing scholarships and get a list of the ones that match your qualifications! All we need is a few simple answers to our chatbot’s questions.
Here’s what you should do:
- Open DoNotPay
- Navigate to the Apply for Scholarships product
- Enter your level of study
- Provide more details about your state of residency, qualifications, and educational preferences
Not only can we find scholarships and grants, but we can also apply you for non-essay ones automatically, enabling you to skip lengthy procedures. Once the application is sent, you will get a confirmation email from us.
Since handling dull administrative tasks is a burden and no one likes doing them, DoNotPay developed a variety of neat features to ease many processes! With our nifty app, you can:
- Appeal a property tax assessment
- Get documents notarized from the comfort of your home
- Appeal parking tickets
- Create a child travel consent form with minimum effort
- File financial aid appeals
- Draft power of attorney documents
- File FOIA requests
- Submit anonymous HR complaints
We all love shopping, but it’s no secret that companies sometimes turn a fun experience into a nightmare, especially when they refuse to cooperate. DoNotPay is here to help you reach customer support without the hour-long wait and sue an uncooperative merchant in small claims court if necessary!
Need a refund? We can show you how to get your money back from any company in a snap!
Should you need to file an insurance or warranty claim and request gift card cash back or an item return, you can count on our app to assist you! DoNotPay can also show you how to discover any unclaimed funds under your name so that you can continue shopping like a pro.