What You Didn’t Know About Electric Bill Assistance In Indiana
Millions of Americans are struggling to pay their utility bills, especially during this pandemic period. According to a report by the National Energy Assistance Directors' Association (NEADA), the utility debt moved from $12bn before the pandemic to around $32bn by the end of 2020.
These are shocking statistics. And it's even more terrifying to know that America has not even been hit the hardest. Other nations around the globe are having it worse. Taking these factors into consideration, it is important to know how to manage your monthly utility bill. While doing this on your own can be difficult, DoNotPay can easily help you. DoNotPay can help you lower your Indiana electric bill, the same way it can with your medical bill, cell phone bill, and your water bill. Read along for more information on this.
Understanding Your Electric Bill
Getting a good understanding of your electric bill is the first step to managing your soaring bills. Here are some of the bill highlights:
- Your account number
- Your mailing address
- A summary of your previous balance, your current charges, and any fees or taxes that apply.
- You can get important information and energy-saving tips at the Message Center.
- You will also get information on the service address line and service ID of where electricity was consumed.
- The next meter reading date
- Your billing rate code
- A summary of your service charges
- AES Indiana contact details
The Back of Your Bill
The back of your bill will have additional information such as code explanation, customer care contact numbers and hours of operation, and the various payment options.
What Happens If You Don't Pay Your Electric Bill in Indiana
It is first important to note that you are responsible for paying your electric bill on time, failure of which can lead to a disconnection. If you are facing financial struggles and are unable to pay your bill, you should immediately reach out to the utility to determine if you are eligible for alternative payment arrangements. In case you receive a disconnection notice, immediately call the utility to:
- Go over why you received the notice
- Discuss payment arrangements if you were disconnected due to nonpayment
How to Negotiate Indiana Electric Bills by Yourself
Financial hardships can happen to anyone, especially during the pandemic period. Sometimes, we all need extra support to pay our bills. The following are viable options that can help you lower your electric bill in Indiana:
1. Ask for a Payment Extension
If you just need a few days to clear your bill, a payment extension may be the right choice. If you want to spread the payment over a few months, you can request to have a payment arrangement.
2. Local and Federal Assistance Programs
Indiana works with many organizations that can help you receive local and federal assistance. For more information, contact your local agency or visit IN211.org.
3. Indiana Programs
The following programs can help you lower your electric bill:
|Neighbor to Neighbor Bill Pay Assistance.||This program provides grants to families to help prevent disconnection or to restore service.|
|Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)||This program offers federally-funded financial assistance to help lower energy costs.|
|Indiana Emergency Rental Assistance Program (IEREA)||Indiana residents who qualify for this program can get rent and utility assistance for up to 12 months.|
All in all, managing your electric bill on your own is not easy, as you will not even know the right program to sign up to, since there are so many. However, with the help of DoNotPay, you can achieve this fast and easily.
How to Lower Your Electric Bills with DoNotPay
You can use DoNotPay to lower and manage your electric bills in 4 easy steps:
- Go to the Negotiate Bills product on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want us to call and negotiate your bill for you or send a bill negotiation letter on your behalf.
- Provide the details that will help us negotiate your bill including the company name and how much your current plan costs.
- Enter your contact information, including email, address, and phone number.
Leave all the work to DoNotPay! We'll fight for a lower bill for you.
Other Bills that DoNotPay Has You Covered
Other things that DoNotPay Also Covers aside from electric bills are:
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
The following are some of the other amazing services that DoNotPay can help you:
- Find people on sex offenders' registries.
- Claim missing money.
- File complaints.
- Claiming compensation for canceled or delayed flights.
- Notarizing any document.
And so much more! DoNotPay is the world's first robot lawyer that will help you take on big corporations and beat bureaucracy. At DoNotPay, we strive to make the average citizen save thousands of dollars on exorbitant legal fees. Do not wait any longer. Sign up with DoNotPay today to get started.