Obtaining Your El Dorado County Marriage Certificate
Sometimes marriage licenses can get lost or misplaced. If you need to get a new copy of your marriage certificate, you will have to contact the county in which you were married. Most vital records offices have regulations as to who can obtain these records, so if you want an copy, you will have to fill out the proper forms and provide an application fee.
If you aren't located near El Dorado County, you may find it difficult to get to the office to get the paperwork and fee submitted. However, you can easily get the marriage certificate copy you need with the help of DoNotPay.
The Difference Between Certificates and Licenses For Marriage
The main difference between a license and certificates for marriage is that the license is what is issued to the couple by the county in which they are getting married, and the certificate is the record that is kept by the county. Copies of this certificate can be obtained for either informational purposes or to establish identity, depending on the type of copy you are requesting.
Who Can Obtain a Certificate Copy in El Dorado County?
There are two types of marriage certificate copies that you can obtain from . The first is an informational copy. This copy cannot be used to establish the identity of either of the registrants listed on the certificate. The copy will also have certain parts of the certificate redacted, such as the signatures of the registrants. Anyone can obtain this version of a marriage certificate.
A certified authorized copy of a marriage certificate in El Dorado County is the copy that can be used to establish identity and for other official purposes. This copy is often obtained when you have lost your original copy of your marriage license. Only specific parties are allowed to obtain this copy. These parties include:
- The registrants (the couple)
- A party requesting the copy as part of a court order
- A member of law enforcement or a government agency
- An immediate family member that can include: a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or domestic partner of a registrant
- An attorney working for one of the registrants or their estate in any legal matter
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Certificate in El Dorado County?
In El Dorado County, the cost of obtaining either an authorized or informational copy of a marriage certificate is $17 per copy. The fee can be paid by personal check, cashier's check, or money order if the application is mailed or submitted to the office in person. The fee can be paid by credit card for email or fax requests. The county puts a fifteen-day hold on applications paid by personal check.
What Documents are Required to Obtain a Certificate Copy?
The documents El Dorado County requires to obtain a marriage certificate differ depending on whether you are seeking an informational copy or a certified copy.
|Informational Copy||To obtain an informational copy of a marriage certificate, you will need to submit:
An informational copy can be obtained by anyone but will have only the information on the certificate, and the signatures of the couple will be redacted.
|Authorized Copy||To obtain an authorized copy of a marriage certificate, you need to submit:
An authorized copy will only be provided to specific persons related to the couple listed on the marriage certificate. These can include the registrants, attorneys, law enforcement, parent, child, sibling, grandparents, or any party that has obtained a court order for the information.
Get Help With El Dorado Marriage Certificates From DoNotPay
Getting a copy of your marriage certificate should not be difficult, but in some cases, it can take a lot of steps to get what you need. If you need to quickly get your copy of your or any other county, you can use DoNotPay to help you out.
If you want to Order/Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in El Dorado County but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
See how easy it is to order a marriage certificate? And there are more ways to use the app.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay provides you with easy steps to complete many of your everyday tasks.Some of the tasks that DoNotPay can assist with include:
- Airline flight compensation.
- Canceling unwanted subscriptions.
- Handling chargebacks and refunds.
- Item return requests.
These are just a few of the tasks that DoNotPay can help with when you want a fast, easy solution to get things done. Try DoNotPay now.