All About Egg Donation in Chicago
Old age, medical conditions, and cancer treatments can affect the production of healthy and viable eggs in women. Although this prevents them from bearing their own children, it doesn't mean that they can't have a family of their own. Egg donation solves this need, making a meaningful impact on someone's life.
Egg donors donate healthy eggs to allow the recipient to successfully conceive and carry a pregnancy. The donors are then compensated up to $10,000 for their time and effort.
If you're considering an egg donation in Chicago, then it's vital that you know what exactly egg donation entails before you go through with it. This way, you'll know what to expect when the time comes.
So, how does the whole egg donation process work? What are the donor requirements? How do you apply? Let's break it down for you.
What Is an Egg Donation?
As a part of assisted reproductive technology (ART), egg donation is when a fertile woman donates her eggs to another woman to help her conceive.
The procedure involves a health practitioner removing an egg(s) from a donor, fertilizing them in a laboratory, and then transferring the embryo into the recipient's uterus. Doctors use an implantation procedure like In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) to perform this process.
What Does the Egg Donation Process Look Like?
The egg donation process requires a series of steps and can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months in total, from selection to donation. Here's an overview:
Egg donors are matched with recipients to make sure both parties' physical and psychological characteristics are compatible. A screening process includes fertility screening, genetic screening, medical screening, and psychological screening to ensure the donor is compatible with the recipient.
Birth Control Pills
Once the recipient is chosen, the donor is put on birth control for 7 to 10 days. This helps the follicles grow at a similar rate, leading to the retrieval of more mature eggs.
Naturally, a woman produces only one egg a month. To increase the number of eggs produced, the doctor injects Follicle Stimulating Hormones (FSH) to induce ovulation of many eggs. The doctor uses blood tests and vaginal sonograms to monitor follicle growth. They will also do an STI screening before retrieval.
Once the follicles mature fully, the doctors administer an HCG injection to prepare the donor's ovaries to release the eggs. Egg retrieval happens 36 hours later after the HCG injection. The doctor will administer a light IV sedation to ensure the donor's comfort, then pass a needle through the vaginal wall and into the ovary to suck the eggs. The retrieval procedure will take around 30 minutes, and the donor will be monitored for 1-2 hours before being driven home.
After the retrieval procedure, the donor can resume normal activities a day after retrieval while avoiding strenuous activities or exercises. Since the egg donation process might have a psychological impact, it is helpful for the donor to find a counselor or psychotherapist to help cope with the emotional side of donation.
Egg Donor Eligibility
To become an egg donor, there are several requirements a donor needs to meet before being considered eligible. The requirements vary from company to company, but some basic requirements cut across the board:
- A female aged between 20 and 34
- Have no history of non-medical drug usage
- Has no history of smoking tobacco or nicotine use
- Has regular monthly menstrual cycles.
- No family history of inherited genetic disorders (you must be willing to provide a detailed medical history)
- Be ready and willing to take injections.
- Has a proportionate height/weight (BMI between 18 - 28)
- Able to commit for 3-5 months for the entire egg donation process
- Possess a minimum education of high school degree
How to Choose an Egg Donor Agency on Your Own
Connecting with the right agency is essential in ensuring a smooth, successful egg donation process. And while we recommend applying to different egg donor agencies, choosing a credible agency can be difficult. To smoothen out the process, here are critical components to keep in mind:
- How much compensation do they offer?
- What expenses do they cover? Is medical insurance included?
- How far is the agency from where you live? Are there any location restraints?
- How many times can you donate?
- How long will you be required to commit to the process?
- Consider also agencies specializing in certain ethnicities/races.
Egg Donation Clinics/Banks in Chicago, IL
If you're looking for an egg donation clinic or bank in Chicago, you can choose from reputable agencies like:
|Clinic||Address||Phone Number||Compensation||Eligible Age|
|Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago||4920 N Central Ave #2C, Chicago, IL 60630||(773) 897-3219||Up to $9,000/donation||19-29|
|Center for Reproductive Medicine and Fertility||333 S. Desplaines Street, Suite 201, Chicago, IL 60661||773-702-6642||Up to $8,000/ donation||21-30|
|Institute for Human Reproduction||409 W. Huron Street, Suite 500, Chicago, IL 60654||312 288 6420||Up to $5,500||21-29|
How Much Do Egg Donors Get Paid in Chicago, IL?
Things to Keep in Mind Before Becoming an Egg Donor
While egg donation is a noble act, there are several factors you need to keep in mind before considering donation:
- You can only donate several times (6 on average)
- You must undergo physical and psychological screenings, which are time-consuming.
- With only a small percentage of eligible people after the screening, don't get your hopes too high.
- A history of STIs can affect eligibility
- The process can be painful
How to Find Egg Donation Clinics in Chicago and Donate on Your Own
While becoming an egg donor and finding a reputable fertility center or bank yourself is possible, the process can be arduous. You have to scour through several agencies, shortlist based on your preferences, and then apply individually with each agency. With that in mind, here is how you can apply for egg donation and donate on your own:
- Fill out the online application form on the clinic's website.
- Since each agency has a unique application form, it's impossible to apply to multiple agencies at once. However, agencies do allow you to save the application before submitting it. With that in mind, it's essential to pay close attention to deadlines and make sure you send out your application on time.
- On average, the process will take an hour or more, depending on the number of questions.
- If the agency accepts your application, they will contact you within a week or two for a face-to-face interview.
Next Steps for Egg Donation in Chicago If You Can't Do It Yourself
DoNotPay aims at maximizing your acceptance chances by filling out the applications on your behalf. After providing your eligibility information, we shall apply to multiple egg donation agencies in Chicago at once.
Here's how you can use DoNotPay to become an egg donor:
- Search "become an egg donor" on DoNotPay and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Answer a series of eligibility questions about your medical history, so we can determine which donor agencies you can apply for.
- Verify your information and submit your single application! DoNotPay will then apply for multiple egg donor agencies near you on your behalf to maximize your chances of being accepted.
Once your application is processed and accepted, you should receive an email with the next steps.
Why Use DoNotPay to Find Egg Donation Agencies in Chicago
DoNotPay offers a super-easy and convenient way to become an egg donor by applying to multiple agencies with a single application. You won't have to spend hours searching and applying to agencies one by one. Using DoNotPay, you can apply to numerous agencies at once.
Some of the distinct benefits of using our services include:
- Fast. DoNotPay will find and apply for egg donation programs within a few clicks of the button. You won't even break a sweat.
- Easy. Just provide your eligibility details, and we will take care of the rest.
- Successful. DoNotPay has helped thousands of egg donors find the right programs. We have a high success rate of getting our users accepted into the egg donation program they applied for.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
With the success of DoNotPay, more Americans are leveraging our services to solve a wide array of everyday issues they run into. Besides finding and applying for egg donation programs in Chicago, DoNotPay can help you with a myriad of services, including:
- Help with bills you are unable to pay
- Request sick leave
- Apply for clinical trials
- Apply for birth certificates
- Advance healthcare directive
Access DoNotPay on your web browser and register or sign in to see how easily and quickly we can help resolve your issue!