Do You Have to Pay Child Support After 18?

Do You Have to Pay Child Support After 18?

Child support is the continued financial maintenance for a child after the termination of the marriage. But do you have to pay child support after 18? Well in most states, child support ends when the child reaches the age of majority or when the child is considered emancipated. However, some situations may require you to pay child support after 18. If you are currently supporting a child, you may want to learn more about child support age, how child support works and whether you can go to jail for not paying child support. On the other hand, you may also want to know whether child support is taxable if you are to start receiving child maintenance income.

Although you can learn more about child provision on your own, the laws that govern financial support for children after separation are diverse and you may take longer to understand them all. However, DoNotPay can help you understand everything you need to know about child support. Through the DoNotPay platform, you can also learn whether you are obligated to pay child subsistence, how long child support takes, and what is covered in a child support order.

How to Know Whether You Have to Pay Child Support After 18

?” is a common question among parents providing financial assistance to children from a previous marriage. If you are supporting a child and you are wondering how long you have to continue providing for the child, here are some factors to consider before stopping the support;

  1. Is 18 the age of majority according to your state laws? Although most states no longer require you to support the child after 18, some states have set the age of majority at 21 meaning you have to continue providing for the child until the 22nd
  2. Can the child be considered emancipated? Emancipation means the child has attained financial independence and no longer needs your assistance. Children above 18 but still living with their parents may require you to continue the provision after 18.
  3. Is the child in high school or college? States that do not cover college education may require you to extend the support past 18 if the child is still in high school or college.
  4. Does the child have some form of disability that makes them continue depending on parents for help? Children living with a disability may require you to support them past their 18th birthday.

When Can I Stop Paying Child Support?

You can only stop providing for a child if:

  • The child gets married
  • Joins the military
  • Starts earning an income (becomes emancipated)

However, child support does not end automatically. If the child support was ordered by a court of law, you can only withdraw the support through the court. The court will examine your case and determine whether you will continue with the child subsistence funding after the 18th birthday or are free to withdraw the provision.

Can You Ask for Child Support After 18?

You can still get child support when the child turns 18 if:

  • The child is still in school
  • The child is disabled
  • Or the child still lives in your house

To continue getting support for a , the court may require you to prove the child still needs the support. Whether you are seeking to terminate the support or to extend it, you will have to follow your state's child support guidelines. Here are the support guidelines for each state.

Child Support Guides by State

To understand more about child support laws and your obligations as a parent, find your specific state guide from DoNotPay.

The table below shows the DoNotPay child support state guides outlining everything regarding child support.

DelawareNew MexicoWashington State
HawaiiNew HampshireCalifornia
MissouriNevadaNew York
ConnecticutArizonaNew Jersey
South CarolinaAlabamaIowa
North DakotaWest VirginiaPennsylvania
LouisianaOregonNorth Carolina
Rhode IslandIdahoTexas

Next Steps for Stopping Child Support Payments or Extending It After 18 If You Can't Do It Yourself

The process of terminating support or extending it after 18 is not as straightforward as it appears. You have to seek the assistance of an attorney, file a request to terminate or demand an extension and wait for the court to provide direction. The process is long and tedious. However, you can make it easier and quicker by using the DoNotPay automated platform. You simply need to let DoNotPay know what you need and wait for it to do the hard task for you.

How to Lower Child Support Payments With the Help of DoNotPay

If you want to file a letter to request for lower child support payments but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:

  1. Search child support on DoNotPay and enter the details of the person who owes the payments.
  2. Tell us more about the payment schedule, including the amount and frequency of the payments, the last payment they made, the number of missed payments, and how much they owe you in total.
  3. Confirm your contact information and select whether you want us to mail or email the letter on your behalf. Choose how you would like to receive the payment and verify your signature.

Why Use DoNotPay for Child Support Issues

When solving issues related to child support, DoNotPay should be your first option. Our services are:

  • Successful – Accessing the help you need when using DoNotPay promotes success.
  • Fast – You save a lot of time when filing a demand letter for late child support payments using DoNotPay.
  • Easy – Keeping track of all the steps involved in filing a demand letter for late child support payments when using DoNotPay is unnecessary. Also, you do not need to fill out tedious forms in this case.

DoNotPay Can Help You Solve Your Problems With the Click of a Button

Not only can DoNotPay help you figure out how to solve your child support issues like back child support and child support arrears, but they can also help with much more. As a DoNotPay client, you will have access to help when you need to:

And many more. Contact us today to learn more about our products and services.

Want your issue solved now?