Do I Need a Lawyer To Prepare the Divorce Papers in TN?
We present answers to these and other questions. DoNotPay also provides help with drafting your divorce settlement agreement efficiently.
Before you opt for this set of forms, you should keep in mind that these forms are adequate only if you and your spouse have an agreed or uncontested divorce.
An agreed or uncontested divorce happens when you and your spouse agree on all divorce aspects or points. This friendly divorce is the fastest way to end a marriage in Tennessee, and it also:
- Doesn’t require you to complete as many papers as for a regular divorce
- Costs less since you can do everything without the help of a legal expert
If you and your spouse don’t agree on all aspects, you don’t have to hire a lawyer yet. You might want to try mediation first.
A mediator is an expert who can help you come to terms and sign a divorce settlement agreement. Keep in mind that you can meet with a Tennessee mediator separately, i.e., you don’t have to do it with your spouse if you feel uncomfortable.
You cannot file for or complete your divorce online in TN. If you need any extra papers for your divorce, you’ll need to visit your local county clerk’s office.
While an agreed divorce is the fastest way to get divorced, Tennessee law requires a cooling-off period. It means that an uncontested divorce:
- Without minor children must be on file for at least 60 days
- With children who are under 18 needs to be on file for a minimum of 90 days
As there is no exception to this rule, you cannot finalize your divorce in less than 61 days from the date you filed your papers. Keep in mind that this period may easily be longer due to additional factors, e.g., the court’s caseload and availability.
An average contested divorce takes about a year, but the length depends on how complex your case is and how many problems you and your spouse need to resolve.
Besides negotiating and agreeing on all points of your divorce, you and your spouse need to meet the criteria listed in the left column of the following table to file for divorce using the Tennessee uncontested divorce forms:
|You Can Use the Available Forms Alone If||You Should Consult a Lawyer If|
Keep in mind that both of you need to agree on all of the above-listed to be able to use the court-approved Tennessee divorce forms
The cost of a divorce in TN depends on many factors, including the ones presented above, i.e., if you use the services of a mediator or lawyer or file for divorce alone.
To save time, money, and energy, sign up for DoNotPay to get a smooth and efficient divorce settlement agreement from the comfort of your home!
Our AI-powered app gathers data from government sources to keep track of the latest state-specific requirements. We use them to help you prepare a solid settlement agreement that you and your spouse can:
- Both sign instantly
- Get notarized via DoNotPay in a matter of minutes
- Send to a lawyer for a quick review—if you’d like to make sure everything’s in order and, at the same time, spend much less money on legal services
All you need to do is subscribe to DoNotPay and take these steps:
- Type Divorce Settlement Agreement in the search box
- Answer a few question our chatbot will ask you to help us determine your situation
- Provide the information about your property and income
Once we get the necessary details, DoNotPay creates a divorce settlement agreement based on your state-specific legal standards and tailored to your unique circumstances.
Browse through our vast knowledge base in search of answers to more divorce questions. Among many others, we’ll help you find out:
- When to choose an out-of-court settlement
- How to serve divorce papers properly
- What divorce is like in:
- Why people get divorced
- How soon you can finalize a divorce
- How to get a divorce without going to court
- How to get a divorce without your spouse signing the papers
DoNotPay is a great way of taking care of your money, whether you’re cost cutting or looking for some extra income. Your new virtual assistant will help you:
|Earn Money||Save Money|
Our app is great for helping you with your money, but the benefits of your DoNotPay subscription don’t stop there. The portfolio of DoNotPay’s products and services is so diverse that anyone can find something useful to make their daily tasks easier.
Find a more comprehensive yet cheaper subscription—we’ll wait!