The Crucial Info About Divorce Papers in NC
Going through a divorce is a stressful period. It is often difficult to keep track of all the steps you need to take to finalize this ordeal. DoNotPay can provide you with the information you need about divorce papers in NC and help you create a divorce settlement agreement!
An uncontested divorce is an option for couples who want to end their marriage in a friendly way. In North Carolina, if you wish to get an uncontested divorce, you are actually filing for a no-fault divorce. In this case, the court does not require either of the spouses to prove that the other is the culprit for the termination of the marriage.
An uncontested divorce is also a low-cost option compared to the divorce when couples disagree on all matters. Spouses choosing an uncontested divorce must agree on:
- Visitation rights
- Spousal support
- Property settlement
- Payment of joint debts
If you want to have an uncontested divorce in North Carolina, you and your spouse must have:
- Been separated for at least one year
- Lived apart and occupied separate residences for a year
- Lived in the state for a minimum of six months (at least one of you)
You will need to gather and complete the following forms:
- Complaint for absolute divorce—original and two copies
- Civil summons (form AOC-CV-100)—original (on white paper) and three copies (on yellow paper)
- Domestic civil action cover sheet (form AOC-CV-750)—original and two copies
- Servicemembers civil relief act affidavit (form AOC-G-250)—original and two copies
- Petition to proceed as an indigent (optional—if you cannot afford the court fees)
You need to fill out all the forms using one of these methods:
- On a typewriter
- With a blue or black pen (make sure to write neatly)
The filing fee for a divorce in NC is $225. To have the sheriff serve the papers, you will need to include an additional $30. If the papers are served via mail, it will cost you $7.
In the Old North State, you need to wait at least 30 days for a hearing after the forms are served to the other spouse.
To end your marriage through an uncontested divorce, you will need to follow a certain procedure specific to NC. Take a look at the table below for more details on how to file for divorce:
|Get and complete the necessary forms||Make sure to get all of the necessary forms so that the process can commence|
|Make a divorce settlement agreement||You will need this document to formulate how you will handle:
DoNotPay can help you make this document!
|Make the copies of forms||It is necessary for you, your spouse, and the court to have a copy of each document|
|File the forms||You need to take the forms to the clerk of court’s office|
|Serve your spouse||In NC, you can’t deliver the documents to your spouse yourself. You can ask:
If you are looking for the easiest way to make an airtight divorce settlement agreement, DoNotPay is at your service! Our app handles the entire process of making this legal document in no time. You only need to heed these instructions:
- Sign up for DoNotPay
- Find the Divorce Settlement Agreement product
- Provide relevant information about your spouse
- Tell us more about your income and financial assets
Once you finish the simple questionnaire, you will get a divorce settlement agreement that covers all the crucial information. The next step is to sign the document and take it to the notary. Our app can help you get the document notarized as well.
DoNotPay can also offer the answers to the following questions:
- How does a divorce process work in Mecklenburg County?
- What is mediation in divorce?
- Do you need a lawyer if you and your spouse agree on everything?
- Is it possible to have an online divorce?
- Can you get a divorce without going to court?
- Can you get a divorce without a lawyer?
- How does an out-of-court divorce settlement work?
Calling customer support takes hours. Dealing with refunds and chargebacks takes weeks or sometimes months. And don’t even get us started on DMV appointments. The good news is that, with DoNotPay, you don’t have to stress out about these tasks any longer.
Our platform can help you turn exhausting administrative troubles into two-minute tasks. Thanks to AI technology, you can easily create legal documents, request compensation for canceled flights, send a complaint letter to your neighbor, or book appointments with online notaries.
Diversity of services is one of the biggest advantages DoNotPay offers, and the best part is that our subscription won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
All you need to do is ask, or in this case, sign up for DoNotPay, and the world of practical, user-friendly products awaits. Finishing boring or annoying tasks with the help of our AI bots is fun, easy, and super intuitive—you won’t need any special knowledge of legalities or administrative terminology.
With our help, you will be able to:
- File warranty and insurance claims
- Send mail from the comfort of your home
- Stand against unfair parking tickets
- Learn how to reduce your property taxes
- Have your college fees waived
- Protect yourself from scammy texts, emails, and robocalls
- Deal with workplace discrimination