How Much Does a Divorce in Washington State Cost? Get the Answer With DoNotPay
Ending a marriage can be emotionally and financially draining. If you live in Washington and are considering a divorce, you need all the information before filing for one.
If you want to know how much a divorce in Washington State costs, we have got you covered.
DoNotPay provides you with all the info you need about divorce costs and processes to make an informed decision. If you want a more affordable solution, use DoNotPay to get a divorce settlement agreement instantly!
A contested divorce is one where the spouses disagree on the divorce terms and might need a lawyer and court intervention to finalize the process.
In Washington State, the average cost of a contested divorce is $15,000 and can increase to $20,000 if the couple has children. This amount can include the following fees:
- Lawyer fees
- Mediation fees
- Court filing fees
- Alimony requests
- Child custody professional fees
- Expert witness compensation
Out of all the items mentioned above, lawyer fees are the highest. A divorce lawyer in Washington charges approximately $250–$300 per hour.
On average, an uncontested divorce might cost between $500 and $700, including the divorce filing fee.
In most uncontested divorces, the divorcing couple doesn’t even need to hire a lawyer, especially if both parties agree on key divorce matters. If you need one to help you through the legal process, your expenses might rise to $4,000 or $5,000.
There are several divorce-related fees in Washington State. A breakdown of the costs is provided in the table below:
|Type of Fee||Average Cost|
|Divorce filing fee||$280—If you can’t afford this amount, you can request a fee waiver, provided you have proof of unemployment|
|Attorney fees per hour||$250–$285 per hour|
|Mediator fees||$150–$600 per hour|
|Attorney fees for a contested divorce||$12,000|
|Attorney fees for an uncontested divorce||$5,000|
|Home appraiser in case of property division||$300–$400|
Before filing for divorce in Washington, you should get acquainted with state laws, as explained in the list below:
- Washington is a no-fault state, so there is no need to accuse or blame any party for ruining the marriage. Only one party needs to state that the marriage is beyond repair
- The parties jointly own any property acquired during the marriage. All property, assets, and liabilities should be divided fairly
- At least one spouse should be living in Washington State
- You and your spouse need to agree on the following:
- Child custody
- Spousal support
- Child support
- Joint asset division
- Debt division
- Any other important issues
You can get an out-of-court divorce settlement if you and your spouse agree on crucial divorce-related matters. To get an uncontested divorce in Washington, here are some of the documents you need to prepare:
- Petition for divorce
- Confidential information form
- Certificate of dissolution
- Order of child support
- Proof of mailing
- Proof of professional service
- Divorce settlement agreement
Once you’ve filled out the forms, file them with your county court. If you and your spouse live in different counties, you can file for divorce in either one.
Besides providing you with useful info, we can also ease the burden of bureaucracy. Subscribe to DoNotPay, and we will draw up a divorce settlement agreement for you in no time!
Preparing and filing divorce papers can quickly become a stressful process, especially when the fees are sky-high. With our affordable Divorce Settlement Agreement tool, you can create a legally binding document at a cost that won’t break your wallet!
Here’s how you can get your document in no time:
- Open DoNotPay in your web browser
- Choose the Divorce Settlement Agreement product
- Enter information about your spouse and children (if any)
- Provide details about your income and assets
Once we create your personalized agreement, we will send it your way. If you want to get the document notarized, let us know, and we will connect you with an online notary. You can get your agreement notarized via video call.
If you want to learn more, we can provide info about the following topics in Washington State:
Want more information on divorce-related issues? We can provide handy guides on many topics, such as how to:
- Get online divorces
- Serve divorce papers
- Tell your kids you’re getting a divorce
- Live together during a divorce
Spending hundreds of dollars on lawyers seems like a waste, especially when you have a more convenient solution at your fingertips. We developed various neat features that make performing dull legal tasks feel like a breeze! The best part is that you can use them from the comfort of your home or office.
Consult the list below to see the tasks DoNotPay can help you with:
- Reporting workplace harassment
- Lowering your property taxes
- Getting your important documents notarized
- Filing for crime victim compensation
- Drafting legal documents and child travel consent forms
- Suing a company in small claims court
- Creating a power of attorney document
Legal tasks aren’t the only ones DoNotPay can help you with! We can provide assistance for an abundance of different tasks—from stopping the pesky spam emails to contacting your incarcerated loved ones. Check out the table below and learn how to use our app to:
|Deal With Companies||Deal With Other Tasks|