File for an Uncontested Divorce in Hawaii Like a Pro!
Do you wish to avoid spending days in the courtroom and wasting money on divorce lawyers? Consider filing for an uncontested divorce in Hawaii, and make the divorce procedure a smooth sailing experience! We’ll show you how to get a friendly divorce without breaking the bank.
Hawaii is a no-fault divorce state. As opposed to a fault one, where spouses file for divorce on certain grounds—such as bigamy, cruelty, or abandonment—a no-fault divorce is much simpler. Spouses file for a no-fault divorce when their marriage is broken irretrievably, and neither spouse blames the other for ruining the marriage.
You can file for a no-fault divorce in Hawaii if:
- You and your spouse have lived separately for at least two years or more prior to filing for divorce
- Resuming to live together as husband and wife isn’t likely to happen
- The court concludes that granting a divorce wouldn’t be harsh and oppressive to the non-filing spouse or contrary to the public interest
A divorce can be either contested or uncontested. Filing for an uncontested divorce is quicker and cheaper than filing for a contested one.
The Hawaiian court system is a bit different from the court systems in other states. The Hawaii Family Courts are in charge of divorce proceedings, and they are separated into judicial circuits based on geographic location. Check out the list below for details:
- First Circuit—Oahu
- Second Circuit—Maui, Lanai, and Molokai
- Third Circuit—Island of Hawaii (and subdivided Hilo, Kona, and Rural Divisions)
- Fifth Circuit—Kauai
There is no Fourth Circuit since it was merged into the Third Circuit in 1943.
If you want to file for an uncontested divorce without a lawyer, you have to make sure you file the required divorce papers with the correct circuit.
The exact paperwork you should prepare depends on the circuit where you’re filing for divorce. To avoid any issues, you should ask your local court clerk what forms to get.
To file for your uncontested divorce in Hawaii, follow these steps:
|Steps||What To Do|
|Complete the required forms||Find out what uncontested divorce papers you need to fill out to file for divorce in your circuit and complete them|
|Serve your spouse||Get a copy of the divorce papers and give them to your spouse. If you don’t want to do it on your own, you can hire a sheriff or a process server to do it for you|
|Draft a divorce settlement agreement||Discuss the divorce matters with your spouse and include them in a document known as a divorce settlement agreement. If you can’t agree on all divorce concerns, consider hiring a divorce mediator to assist you.
The agreement should cover the following aspects:
You don’t have to worry about drafting a divorce settlement agreement and deciphering the legal jargon by yourself—DoNotPay will do everything for you
|Bring the uncontested divorce papers to the court||Take all of the forms you completed and your divorce settlement agreement to the court for filing. A judge can grant you an uncontested divorce without a court hearing if your divorce settlement agreement is valid and includes all the required sections|
Avoid spending hundreds of dollars on lawyers and use DoNotPay to create your agreement in a more affordable and less confusing way! The best part about it is that we do almost all the work! All you need to do is provide us with some info, and we’ll create your agreement instantly.
Complete the following instructions to get started:
- Sign up for DoNotPay
- Select the Divorce Settlement Agreement feature
- Provide us with your information
We’ll get to drafting your divorce settlement agreement right away! Make sure to sign it afterward, and don’t forget to get your spouse to do the same.
Divorce settlement agreements should be signed in front of a notary public, but you don’t have to waste time visiting one! You can use DoNotPay to get your agreement notarized after we draw it up. We’ll connect you with a remote notary in a jiffy and help you handle notarization in minutes.
If you’d like to prepare as much as possible, we can provide additional divorce-related info! Wondering whether you can file for divorce online? We have the answer! Apart from that, you can also use our app to learn how to:
- Protect yourself in a divorce
- Tell your kids you’re getting a divorce
- File for divorce when your spouse is out of state
- Get a divorce without the other person signing the papers
- Keep your house in a divorce
Tedious administrative tasks are always headache-inducing, but they don’t have to be if you use DoNotPay. With our AI-powered app, you will be able to:
- File insurance and warranty claims easily
- Get compensation from airline companies
- Appeal parking tickets anywhere in the U.S.
- Get refunds and chargebacks from various companies
- Schedule appointments at the DMV
- File FOIA requests
- Fight discrimination at your workplace
DoNotPay is an AI assistant that is able to solve almost all issues you’re facing. Whether that be your noisy neighbors, the annoying text and email spam you’re receiving, or the frustrating robocalls that won’t leave you alone. We’ll even cancel your unneeded subscriptions and get you a few extra bucks you’ve been cheated out of.
The world’s first robot lawyer app can help you get:
- Compensation if you’re a victim of crime
- In touch with your locked-up relatives
- Your documents notarized from the comfort of your home
- A temporary phone number to ensure your privacy
- Unclaimed money
- College fee waivers
- Virtual credit cards for avoiding scams
- Tailor-made divorce settlement agreements