How to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Virginia
When a marriage ends, the couple gets a divorce to handle the legal resolution of the end of the marriage. There are a variety of reasons that you might need a copy of a divorce certificate in Virginia. You might need a copy to close bank accounts, or maybe, you're researching your family's history. DoNotPay helps you get a copy easily and quickly.
The Difference Between Divorce Certificates and Divorce Decrees
A divorce certificate is a legal record that a divorce took place, while a divorce decree is a detailed plan that ends the marriage, including child custody and the division of property. If you're processing paperwork or researching your ancestry, you probably only need a copy of a Virginia divorce certificate.
Who Can Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in Virginia?
In Virginia, the state limits who can receive a copy of a divorce certificate to immediate family. Who is the immediate family? The list includes:
- Individuals named in the divorce
- Current spouses
How Much Does it Cost to Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in Virginia?
Virginia charges $12 for each copy of a divorce certificate. There isn't a discount for additional copies of the same record. However, it's almost always a good idea to get multiple copies at one time to save you time and hassle later on.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Virginia?
It can take up to two weeks to receive a copy of a Virginia divorce certificate after the state receives the request. If there's an issue locating the record or in the mail, it can take even longer. DoNotPay can help you get a copy quickly.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Virginia?
Virginia does require documentation to secure a copy of a divorce certificate. This includes:
- Driver's license
- U.S. passport
- Military ID
- Tribal ID
- Other government-issued ID
- Birth certificate to establish the relationship
How to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Virginia on Your Own
In Virginia, there are only two ways to get a copy of a divorce certificate: mail and in person. You can mail a request to get a Virginia divorce certificate to the Virginia Department of Health, Division of Vital Records, 2001 Maywill Street, Suite 101, Richmond, VA 23230. It's also possible to pick up a copy in person in one of five cities: Charlottesville, Palmyra, Stanardsville, Louisa, and Arrington.
|Request via mail||You'll need to get the application forms, fill in & sign them, and then mail them (accompanied by other required documents) and a check. This process can be tedious and time-consuming.|
|Visit physical office||While practical if you're near the office, it can still be costly in terms of the gas/travel expenses and the time you might waste standing in long lines.|
Solve the Challenges of Getting a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Virginia Instantly With the Help of DoNotPay
When you try to get a Virginia divorce certificate on your own, you can waste time and not get a copy. You know there has to be an easier way.
If you want to get a copy of a divorce certificate in North Dakota but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.*Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued on.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay to Solve the Challenges of Getting a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Virginia
When you need a copy of a Virginia divorce certificate, you don't want to waste time and energy. There are three main reasons why it's your best bet to use the DoNotPay app, and these include:
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
To receive a copy of a Virginia divorce certificate quickly, DoNotPay is here to help, but the app can also provide additional services. These options include:
- Divorce certificates from other states, including:
- New York
- The paperwork to take a person or business to small claims court
- And so much more!
It's easy to get a copy of a Virginia divorced certificate with DoNotPay! Order one now!