How to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Texas
When people get married, they often recite a vow that their marriage will stand until death does them apart. Unfortunately, some marriages end in divorce. Getting a copy of the divorce certificate is helpful in many ways, as it signals that you have become legally divorced from your spouse.
You can use a divorce certificate to prove that you are legally single in certain instances when a marriage license is required, such as dropping your former spouse's name or when you want to change your identity documents.
Losing your divorce certificate can be quite frustrating, and the process of getting a copy isn't any better. Luckily, with DoNotPay , you can get a copy of the Texas divorce certificate quickly and without visiting a Vital Statistics office.
The Difference Between a Divorce Certificate and a Divorce Decree?
A divorce certificate is a document filed with the County Clerk's office to show that there has been a termination of a marriage by Court Order. A divorce decree is the order issued by the court after it signs an agreed final mandate or after hearing evidence.
What Are the Requirements to Apply for a Divorce Certificate Copy in Texas?
Getting a divorce certificate copy in Texas is quite burdensome. For you to get this copy, you must have the following:
- You must be a person who can legitimately request the divorce certificate copy. The qualification can be professional (lawyers) or familial (children, sibling, parent, etc.).
- You must pay the required processing fees, which are pegged at $20 per copy.
- Have legitimate identification documents.
- Have sufficient postage and envelopes to send the copy if you are using the mailing option.
- In situations where an agent has been sent, there should be necessary supporting documentation.
How Much Does it Cost to Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in Texas?
Request for divorce certificate can be made via the internet, with a credit card. The fee for search and verification of essential facts of divorce is $20.00 each.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Birth Certificate Processing Fee|
|Texas Department of State Health Services||Texas Vital Statistics
Department of State Health Services
P.O. Box 12040
Austin, TX 78711-2040
|Cost of Copy: $20.00|
How to Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in Texas on Your Own
Once you have all the requirements needed to get a copy of a divorce certificate, you will have to choose the convenient method of lodging an application. You can mail your application and payment (check or money order) to the official office of Vital Records in Austin, Texas. You can also physically visit the office and apply in person.
On average, processing a divorce certificate takes between 20-25 days. However, it could go beyond this timeline if you didn't fill the application correctly. It is vital to use DoNotPay to process your divorce certificate copy in order to avoid such uncertainties.
How to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate Using DoNotPay
If you want to get a copy of a divorce certificate in Texas but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
1. Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
2. Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse. Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
3. Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued on.
4. Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
5. Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
6. Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
7. If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why Should You Use DoNotPay to Get Your Texas Divorce Certificate Copy?
Losing your divorce certificate can be frustrating. The replacement procedure can also be frustrating and too bureaucratic. Thankfully, DoNotPay can help you get the copy in no time. Using DoNotPay has the following benefits:
- Easy to use: you can either get the document yourself or have it sent to you by mail.
- Faster: DoNotPay also helps your request be processed faster.
- Convenient: DoNotPay offers a service that's available 24/7 online, so you don't have to wait in line or make an appointment with the court clerk to get your divorce certificate.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay is a multipurpose legal assistant that can help you with several legal tasks. Some of these include:
- Learning how to file insurance claims.
- Helping you contest parking tickets.
- Assisting with consumer complaints.
- Helping you find unclaimed money.
If you need a copy of a divorce certificate in Texas, look no further than DoNotPay. We will ensure you get the birth certificate copy in no time.