How to Quickly Receive a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in San Francisco
Everyone who has gone through the divorce process wishes for the process to be over as quickly as possible. However, divorces in San Francisco are not supposed to be long, complicated, or devastating.
You may need a divorce certificate after the end of the whole process to indicate that the marriage is officially resolved. Accessing a copy of your divorce certificate in San Francisco might be challenging due to the number of confusing steps.
DoNotPay saves you from troubles and confusion by providing you with a more straightforward way to get a copy of your divorce certificate in San Francisco.
Difference Between Divorce Certificates and Divorce Decrees
A divorce decree and certificate might sound similar, but you should not confuse the two.
- A divorce decree is a document stating the final court declaration of your divorce case.
- A divorce decree contains all the agreed-upon information and all the details on your divorce case, including:
- Spousal support
- Child custody
- Visitation rights
- Property division
You can use a divorce decree in any of the following scenarios:
- Arraign your ex-spouse in court for violating any of the decree guidelines
- Alter your will and insurance policies
- Change your banking details, including credit and debit cards
- Change power of attorney
A divorce certificate is a one-page document prepared and issued by the state for record-keeping purposes. The document indicates your full name, ex-spouse's full name, date, and place of divorce.
The divorce certificate uses are fewer than a divorce decree, including:
- Showing proof of official marriage dissolution.
- Getting a name change on official documents and records such as driver's license, Social Security, etc.
- Applying for a travel visa or passport
- Inheritance purposes of proving you are single
How Can I Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in San Francisco?
There are only two ways in which you can get a copy of your divorce certificate in San Francisco, including:
1. Superior Court of California
You can obtain certified copies of your divorce certificate from the Superior Court of California through mail or in person, as explained below.
|In-Person||Start by submitting the completed civil records request form to the public viewing room. Services at the public viewing room are administered on a first-come, first-served basis. An officer will summon you when it is your turn to be serviced.|
|Mail-In||Mail your completed civil record request form to the public document viewing room through the following addresses:
Civic Center Courthouse (CCC)
400 McAllister St., Room 103
San Francisco, CA 94102
Hall of Justice (HOJ)
850 Bryant Street, Room 101
San Francisco, CA 94103
3. California Department of Public Health – Vital Records (CDPH-VR)
If you need a copy of your divorce certificate for cases closed between 1962 and June 1984 from the California Department of Public Health – Vital Records (CDPH-VR). Mail your completed certificate of record for a divorce form to:
California Department of Public Health
Vital Records – MS 5103
PO Box 997410
Sacramento, CA 95899-7410
If using a courier service that requires a physical address for delivery, please use the following address:
California Department of Public Health
Vital Records – MS 5103
1501 Capitol Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95814
Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate Using DoNotPay
Getting a copy of your divorce certificate in San Francisco County often takes a long time as you work to fulfill all the requirements. DoNotPay helps you save some time by simplifying the whole process and providing you with all the information you need before submitting your request. How to get a copy of a divorce certificate using DoNotPay:
If you want to get a copy of a divorce certificate in San Francisco, but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.*Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued on.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
And you’re all set.
Why Should I Use DoNotPay to Get a Copy of My Divorce Certificate?
DoNotPay helps you get a copy of your divorce certificate in San Francisco as fast as we would help any other jurisdictions such as from:
DoNotPay Can You Solve All Your Issues from Your Phone
Are you stuck with loads of legal and administrative issues? DoNotPay has the perfect solution to help you fight bureaucracy, sue someone, and fight corporations at a click of a button. Our services are simplified into steps that are easy to follow.
Quit worrying about your cumbersome processes and let DoNotPay help with the following services and more:
- Create marital settlement agreements
- Discover and apply you for no-essay scholarships
- Help you contact government representatives
- Discover and apply for no-essay scholarships
- Compose a demand letter to a rude neighbor
- Fight workplace discrimination
- Connect with a loved one in prison
- Scheduling a DMV appointment
What are you waiting for? Sign up today and watch us make your life easier with just a few clicks of the button on your phone.