How to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in North Dakota
After a marriage ends and the divorce is over, there may come a day when you need a copy of your North Dakota divorce certificate. You might need a divorce certificate to close bank accounts or to change your last name on your driver's license. Of course, it might take a little more work than you think to get a copy, but help is available.
The Difference Between Divorce Certificates and Divorce Decrees
A divorce decree outlines the settlement between the two parties of all property, financial affairs, and child custody, while a divorce certificate is a record that a divorce occurred. When you're handling legal paperwork, you probably only need to include a copy of your North Dakota divorce certificate.
Who Can Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in North Dakota?
In North Dakota, divorce certificates are public records, and anyone can obtain one. However, you need to provide essential information:
- Names of the spouses
- Date of the final divorce decree
- Addresses of the spouses
- The county where the divorce took place
How Much Does it Cost to Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in North Dakota?
In North Dakota, you must go to the county where the divorce occurred to get a copy of the divorce certificate, so the cost varies by county. You can expect the cost to range between $10 and $35 per copy, and you might pay more if you need a certified copy of the North Dakota divorce certificate.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in North Dakota?
When you need a copy of a North Dakota divorce certificate, you can expect it to take around two weeks to receive a copy of it in the mail. If you need a copy more quickly, you can go to the county where the divorce took place and get one in person at the County Clerk's office.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in North Dakota?
Since divorce certificates in North Dakota are considered public records, you might only need to prove your identity. This can include:
- Driver's license
- U.S. passport
- Military ID
- Tribal ID
How to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in North Dakota on Your Own
To get a divorce certificate in North Dakota, you must contact the county where the divorce took place. You can order the divorce certificate through the mail or go to the county's clerk or recorder to get a copy. Your options are listed below:
|Request via mail||You'll need to get the application forms, fill in & sign them, and then mail them (accompanied by other required documents) and a check. This process can be tedious and time-consuming.|
|Visit physical office||While practical if you're near the office, it can still be costly in terms of the gas/travel expenses and the time you might waste standing in long lines.|
|Fill out online application||Some states have implemented mechanisms for applicants to file their requests online. But these services are still unreliable due to various inefficiencies and lack of seamless integration.|
Solve the Challenges of Getting a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in North Dakota Instantly With the Help of DoNotPay
When you need a copy of a North Dakota divorce certificate, you want to get it quickly and without a lot of hassle. There has to be an easy way to do this - and there is, through DoNotPay.
If you want to get a copy of a divorce certificate in North Dakota but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.*Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued on.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay to Solve the Challenges of Getting a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in North Dakota
When you can mail in the request yourself, you might wonder why you need to use the DoNotPay to get a copy of a divorce certificate in North Dakota. Here's a look at the three main reasons:
- It's fast!
- It's easy!
- It's always successful!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay helps you quickly order a North Dakota divorce certificate and can also help you with so much more, including:
- Divorce certificates from other states, including:
- New York
- Help taking a person or business to small claims court
- And so much more!
Need a copy of a North Dakota divorce certificate? Take the easy way with DoNotPay!