Obtaining a New York Divorce Certificate
After getting divorced in New York, you may find yourself needing proof that you were divorced. Your bank may require proof to change your name or apply for a marriage license, among other reasons. If you need proof of your New York divorce but are unsure how to obtain a New York divorce certificate, here is what you need to know.
Keep reading to find out the steps involved in obtaining a New York divorce certificate and how DoNotPay can ease the process for you. If your divorce occurred outside of New York, check out other articles in the series like Obtaining a Texas Divorce Certificate, Obtaining A Florida Divorce Certificate, or Obtaining A California Divorce Certificate.
The Difference Between a Divorce Certificate and a Divorce Decree
Both a divorce certificate and a divorce decree can be used to prove your divorce, but they are very different documents:
- A divorce decree is issued by the court when your divorce becomes final. It lays out all of the divorce terms and is legally binding.
- A divorce certificate is an official vital record and must be obtained from the Vital Records Office of the Health Department. For more information, check out this article, Divorce Certificates.
Who Can Get a Divorce Certificate in New York?
In New York, a divorce certificate can be obtained by either spouse. Anyone hoping to get a New York divorce certificate that does not list them as a spouse must have a court order to have a copy issued. Although the divorce terms are public records, the official documents can only be issued to the spouses without further authorization.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Divorce Certificate in New York?
Below is the cost of getting a divorce certificate in New York, along with the contact details.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Divorce Certificate Processing Fee|
|N.Y. State Vital Records||P. O. Box 2602
Albany, NY 12220-2602
How Long Does It Take To Get a New York Divorce Certificate?
Due to excessive processing times, walk-in applications can not be processed at this time. Applicants using online or phone application methods can expect to receive their copy within 5-10 weeks. Applicants using the priority mail method can expect to receive their certificate within 2-4 weeks. Because these methods take priority, they are the recommended methods of application. Applying via regular mail can expect processing times over ten weeks.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Divorce Certificate in New York?
Either spouse can obtain a New York divorce certificate with a valid government-issued photo ID, military ID, or passport. If the applicant is not one of the spouses, they will still need a valid ID, and they will also need to provide the court order authorizing them to obtain a copy. When applying from a foreign country, an ID must be provided and a passport.
How to Get a New York Divorce Certificate Yourself
These are the steps necessary to obtain a New York divorce certificate on your own.
- Go to the New York Health Department Vital Records Office website to print an application.
- Fill out all the fields as completely and neatly as possible.
- Make copies of a photo ID and any other documentation needed.
- Write a check or purchase money order for the correct amount.
- Mail application, copies, and check or money order to the New York Health Department Vital Records Office. Wait up to ten weeks for the document to arrive.
Get a Divorce Certificate in New York With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay can help you obtain a New York divorce certificate quickly and easily. Answer a few questions and let DoNotPay save you time and money by printing your completed application and documentation, issuing a check for the processing fee, and submitting the application on your behalf.
If you want to get a copy of a divorce certificate, but you don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.*Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued on.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay to Obtain Your Divorce Certificate in New York?
DoNotPay saves you time and money by helping you obtain your New York divorce certificate quickly and easily. There are no trips to the post office or bank, no online pay portals with vendor fees. DoNotPay has proven successful at saving time and money by simplifying tasks that are often confusing or complex to handle on your own. Check out other articles in this series like How To Get A Divorce Certificate , obtain a Nevada Divorce Certificate, or obtain an Arkansas Divorce Certificate.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Check out other ways DoNotPay can save you time and money in other article series. Some of the options include: