How to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Maine
When your divorce is finalized, you might need a copy of your Maine divorce certificate. There are a variety of reasons why you might need to show you're divorced, or you might be working on family genealogy and need a copy of an ancestor's divorce certificate. It can be a challenge to get a Maine divorce certificate.
The Difference Between Divorce Certificates and Divorce Decrees
A divorce certificate is only a record of the divorce, while a divorce decree is a legal document that shows how property and child custody will be split among the parties. You might want a record of the divorce without the details for many purposes.
Who Can Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in Maine?
In Maine, a divorce certificate is considered a matter of public record. This means that anyone can receive a copy after requesting one. You might be asked to provide specific information when asking for a divorce certificate copy in Maine, such as:
- Names of the spouses
- Date of the final divorce decree
- Addresses of the spouses at the time of the divorce
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in Maine?
In Maine, the cost to obtain a certified copy of a divorce certificate is $15 first one and $6 for additional copies. With such a large price difference, you may want to order multiple copies at one time or make a list to determine how many you might need.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Divorce Certificate Processing Fee|
|Maine Vital Records||SHS 11
220 Capital Street
Augusta, ME 04333
|First Copy: $15.00
Additional Copies: $6.00
How Long Does It Take To Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Maine?
After ordering a copy of a divorce certificate in Maine, it can take up to two weeks to receive it in the mail. If you mail in your request, keep in mind that the post office might slow this timeframe down since both the request and divorce certificate have to make their way through the mail system.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Maine?
You might be asked to show identification when asking for a divorce certificate copy in Maine, such as:
- Driver's license
- U.S. passport
- Military ID
- Other government-issued identification
How to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Maine on Your Own?
To get a copy of a divorce certificate in Maine, you must send your request by mail to Vital Records, 11 State House Station, 220 Capitol Street, Augusta, ME 04333-0011. You need to include a self-addressed stamped envelope along with the payment. It's also possible to go in person if you need a copy immediately.
Solve the Challenges of Getting a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Maine Instantly With the Help of DoNotPay
It can be a hassle to get a Maine divorce certificate. You don't have a lot of spare time to dedicate to hunting the correct documentation and department to get one. There's a better option.
If you want to get a copy of a divorce certificate in Maine but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
1. Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
2. Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse. Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
3. Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued on.
4. Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
5. Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
6. Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
7. If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay to Solve the Challenges of Getting a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Maine
While you can go it alone and order a divorce certificate in Maine on your own, there are benefits to using DoNotPay. Here are three of the best benefits:
- It's fast!
- It's easy!
- It's successful!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
With the DoNotPay app, you can order a copy of a divorce certificate in Maine in a few minutes, but that's not all! Here are a few of the services that you can access on the app:
- File a claim with your insurance company
- Divorce certificates from other states, including:
- New York
- And so much more!
Receive a copy of a Maine divorce certificate quickly with DoNotPay!