Obtain Copies of Divorce Certificate Louisiana to Verify End of a Marriage
Divorce isn't easy, but it's sometimes the best option. Irreconcilable differences are one of the main complaints during divorce proceedings. In Louisiana, you typically receive a divorce certificate within a couple of weeks after the final court date.
The divorce certificate Louisiana residents receive helps verify that the two parties have legally chosen to end their marriage. Though the court should send your copy, some things get lost in the mail. You may also realize you need additional copies for various purposes. Get your divorce certificates with the help of DoNotPay and have one less stressful thing on your mind during this tough time in your life.
Difference Between Divorce Decree and Divorce Certificate
A divorce decree signifies the end of the marriage. You receive a copy of this when you leave the court proceedings and the judge has signed off on the divorce happening -- with all details of the separation of assets, time with children, and other important aspects covered. The divorce certificate arrives later, verifying that the court has submitted all necessary information and you are now 100% completed with this marriage.
What Does a Divorce Certificate Help Me Do?
A divorce certificate helps you revert to your pre-marital status as a single individual. It can help you:
- Get your last name changed back, if necessary
- Change beneficiaries for insurance
- Change your power of attorney
- Switch your banking details
- Change details of your will
- Verify to anyone that you are, in fact, divorced and back to being single
What Does a Divorce Certificate Look Like in Louisiana?
A Louisiana divorce certificate contains the following information:
- A signature from you, your former spouse, and the judge
- The official date of divorce
- The location where the divorce took place
The certificate is a very straightforward document listing only the necessary information indicating that the divorce is official.
Where In Louisiana Can I Get My Divorce Certificate Copy?
Obtaining legal copies of marriage and divorce certificates from Louisiana can be completed at the Clerk of Court in your parish. The Louisiana Vital Records Registry maintains all marriage (and therefore divorce) records dating back 50 years only. To receive a copy of a record dating further back, you will need to contact the Louisiana State Archives.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Marriage Certificate Processing Fee|
|Louisiana Vital Records||Po Box 60630
New Orleans, LA 70160
How Long It Takes to Get Your Divorce Certificate in Louisiana
When you request a copy of divorce certificates in Louisiana, it can take some time for them to arrive in the mail. Most people can expect to see them within 2 weeks, though that number can vary depending on the number of requests lately and how busy the judge handling the divorce is at the time.
Can I Get a Divorce Certificate PDF?
Various websites allow you to apply online and receive PDF copies of important records -- including divorce certificates. However, these are often only beneficial for your personal records. Printing them won't do you any good as a form of divorce verification, because they won't have the raised seal signifying a certified copy.
Who Can Get a Copy of a Louisiana Divorce Certificate?
Typically, only you or your former spouse can receive copies of a Louisiana divorce certificate. However, lawyers may also be able to obtain them. Louisiana is a closed-records state, with no information available to the public.
Obtain a Louisiana Divorce Certificate With the Help of DoNotPay
Don't spend hours stressing over how you're going to obtain the divorce certificate Louisiana residents require. Instead, let DoNotPay do it for you in a few basic steps. They take the guesswork out of the equation.
How to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate Using DoNotPay
If you want to get a copy of a divorce certificate in Louisiana, but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.*Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued on.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay to Get Your Divorce Certificate in Louisiana
DoNotPay has your back! They understand how difficult these processes can be and want to make them as easy and straightforward for you as possible. It's fast, easy, and convenient to let DoNotPay solve your problem, so you don't have to spend so much time and attention on it yourself when you have other things to worry about.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Louisiana isn't the only state we help. Whether you need divorce certificates, marriage certificates, records of birth or death, help with paying bills, or otherwise, DoNotPay is available in every state -- for a vast assortment of reasons. You can get divorce certificates in these states and more:
Use DoNotPay for its ease of use and convenience. No matter the question, we have the answer!