Is the Discover it Student Cash Back Card the Best Option for You?
The Discover It credit card was so popular that Discover decided to make a special version for college students. Similar to the original credit card, Discover It Student has a generous cashback rewards program.
Our guide below will show you everything you need to know to get the most cash back with the Discover It Student credit card. DoNotPay will even show you how to get additional cashback on everyday purchases in addition to your Discover It Student card benefits. More on that later.
Discover It Student Cashback Summary
- Discover will offer a minimum of 1% cashback on every purchase.
- There is a 5% cash back bonus on select purchases that change every quarter. This may apply to specific categories, such as groceries, restaurants, or gas. It can also be merchant-specific, such as Amazon or Target.
- There is a quarterly maximum for the 5% cashback.
- At the end of your first year with the Discover It Student card, your cashback reward will be matched again.
Discover It Student Cash Back Credit Card Details
|APR||12.99%-21.99% based on creditworthiness. APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.|
|APR for Balance Transfers||10.99% intro APR for six months from the date of the initial transfer. After the six-month period expires, the interest rate will be the same as your standard APR.|
|APR for Cash Advances||24.99% - will vary with the market-based prime rate.|
|Minimum Interest Charges||$0.50 if interest charges are applicable.|
|Cash Advance fee||Either $10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater.|
|Late Payment Fee||$40. First, late payment is waived of any fees.|
|Returned Payment||Up to $40.|
|Cashback||1% on all purchases. 5% on select purchases within quarterly bonus categories.|
|Cashback Match x2||All earned cashback is doubled at the end of the first year of opening a Discover It Student Card.|
|Recommended Credit Score for Approval||630-680 (average)|
|Do you have to be a student to apply for the Discover It Student credit card?||Yes. The Discover It Student credit card is only available to university and college students. Non-students must apply for the regular Discover It card.|
|Do I have to use my cash back rewards on my Discover invoice?||No. You can use your cash back rewards when checking out with Amazon, making a payment with a PayPal account, purchasing gift cards, or making an eligible charitable donation.|
|Do cash back rewards expire?||Cashback rewards do not expire. Discover will send you a check for the number of cashback rewards if your account has been inactive for 18 months.|
How to Apply for the Discover It Student Credit Card
- Visit the webpage for the Discover It Student Card
- Click on the "Apply Now" icon
- Be prepared to provide personal information such as annual income, social security number, university information, etc.
- You will need to agree to the terms and conditions
- Time to review your application can take several business days.
How to Redeem Your Discover It Student Cashback Rewards
- You will need to visit your Discover account center online.
- In the account center, you can view all the ways to redeem your cashback bonus online by selecting the "rewards" option in the navigation bar.
- You can apply your cash back rewards to your account statement, pay with rewards at checkout with Amazon, make a payment with PayPal, purchase gift cards, or make a charitable donation.
Other Ways to Earn Cashback
- Beyond using your Discover It Student card, there are many other ways to earn cash back for everyday purchases.
- There are countless third-party apps that will offer you cash back for groceries and other common expenses.
- You will often need to submit a receipt to earn cashback with these third parties.
- Other apps will allow you to scan barcodes of items that you have already purchased.
- These cashback apps are associated with market research companies to better understand what people are buying.
- Finding legitimate cashback apps can be time-consuming.
- DoNotPay can get you in touch with the best cashback apps.
How to Use DoNotPay to Find the Best Cashback Opportunities
Simply follow these three simple steps to find the best cashback apps for you:
- Search for Cash Back on the DoNotPay website.
- Kick-off the process to find the right app or website for you.
- Answer some specific questions so that we can help you start making money!
More Services From DoNotPay
Cash Back Services
- Walmart's cashback limit
- Best cashback credit cards
- Can you get cashback with Apple Pay?
- How does cashback work on credit cards?
- Discover It cashback
- Citi cashback card
- How to get money back from Paypal
- Cashback apps
- What is cashback?
- Apple Card cashback
- Jumping the phone queue when getting in touch with customer service reps
- Getting revenge on robocalls
- Copyright Protection
- Suing people and companies in small claims court
- Power of attorney
- Airline Flight Compensation Hacks
- Rules of child travel consent
- Reduce Property Taxes
- Getting rid of spam mail forever
- Breach of contract
- Gift card cashback