How to Apply for Des Moines Building Permits
When you buy a home in Des Moines, Iowa, you might look forward to the advantages that come with the purchase. One of those perks is the ability to remodel your home to suit your taste. However, it is essential to ensure you have the correct .
Many homeowners do not realize that even small projects such as building a fence or installing a hot tub require building permits. Not getting a permit can result in hefty fines or potential lawsuits by future homeowners.
You might not know where to begin if you need a building permit. Getting a building permit is a lengthy process involving forms, HOA, surveying, interviews with neighbors, and more. Learning how to get a building permit is confusing and overwhelming. Luckily, DoNotPay can help make the process as straightforward as possible.
What Remodels Require a Building Permit in Des Moines?
Before you begin a remodel, make sure your construction requires a building permit. In Des Moines, that includes the following construction.
What Requires a Building Permit?
The list of projects requiring a permit is extensive. The following are some common construction projects for which Des Moines requires a permit.
- Room or Garage additions
- Finishing a basement
- Interior remodeling
- Decks and porches
- Chain link fences over 4ft and wood fences over 3ft
- Sheds larger than 120 square feet
- Pools and spas
- Solar Energy Systems
- Sidewalk maintenance: If an owner pays for sidewalk repair out of pocket, they can apply for a government subsidy for reimbursement.
- Irrigation systems
What Does Not Require a Building Permit?
Although it might seem that you need a permit for everything, there are some minor renovations that you can complete without one.
- Minor roof repairs - less than 25 square feet.
- Painting a room or house
- Drywall repair
If you have a question regarding a specific building project, you can contact the City of Des Moines Permit and Development Center at (515) 283-4200.
How to Get a Building Permit in Des Moines
Knowing you need a building permit is only the beginning. From there, you need to understand how to obtain it. Getting a building permit is something you can do on your own, but it is a drawn-out and frustrating process.
- Go to Permit Applications & Information - City of Des Moines, WA (desmoineswa.gov) and fill out the correct application.
- Schedule an inspection.
- Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing contracts required need to be filed through a state-licensed contractor.
- The building must commence with 180 of permit issuance.
- The structure must be inspected within one year of project completion.
These steps are mandated for Polk County Iowa building permits. If you live in a residence with an HOA, there might be additional restrictions and applications.
How to Apply for a Building Permit Easily in Des Moines, Iowa With DoNotPay
Making sure you have all the proper permits and inspections completed for a simple remodel is overwhelming. Even with the best intentions, steps are often overlooked.
If you want to apply for a building permit easily in Des Moines but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered. Create your own cancellation letter in 6 easy steps:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
Why Use DoNotPay for Des Moines Building Permits
Although you can get on your own, DoNotPay has undeniable reasons to use its service.
Fast: DoNotPay saves you time. The time spent researching and filling out forms is eliminated.
Easy: With a few easy steps, the stress of researching building permits is complete.
Successful: If you complete the preparation for remodeling yourself, you are likely to overlook critical steps. DoNotPay makes sure every action is taken and finished without any stress.
DoNotPay Isn't Just for Des Moines
Do not fear if you are planning a building renovation or remodel but aren't located in Des Moines. DoNotPay helps Americans with building permits across the country, including the following cities: