Connect With Animal Care and Control in Davis County, Utah
is dedicated to protecting the safety of residents in the county while also ensuring animals are treated fairly and humanely, both by county control officers and the animals' owners. Davis County animal ordinances address residents’ rights to own pets and treat them properly and hold owners responsible if their animals attack a person or another animal, including financially. Owners and victims are responsible for reporting a dog bite within 24 hours.
While Davis County ordinances hold dog owners liable for any damages that may occur from their dog attacking a person or another animal, sometimes getting that compensation can be difficult. Sometimes you might need to sue for a dog bite, and DoNotPay makes that process easier.
About Davis Animal Care and Control
Davis County adopted a compassionate approach to ensuring health and safety in the community by creating the department as . Davis County is a Socially Conscious Animal Welfare Organization, which means it finds a home for every safe and healthy pet. Among the services Animal Care and Control offers are:
- Lost and found: Animal Care and Control collects found pets and seeks to reunite them with owners.
- Adoption: Animal Care and Control offers the adoption of cats, dogs, and other pets.
- Licenses: Davis County requires pet licenses, distributed through Animal Care and Control.
- Vaccinations: Davis County Animal Care and Control offers rabies, parvo/distemper, and bordetella shots for dogs and rabies and FVRCP shots for cats.
- Microchipping: Animal Care and Control performs microchipping for pets.
- Complaints: Animal Control responds to barking dogs, pets roaming free, and animal welfare checks.
- Euthanasia: Animal Care and Control offers compassionate euthanasia at owners' request.
- Unwanted pets: Owners can surrender unwanted pets.
Davis County Animal Care and Control Location, Hours, and Contact Details
Davis County Animal Control and Care operates at 1422 E 600 North with office hours from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday (adoptions close at 5:30 p.m.), excluding holidays.
|Address||1422 E. 600 North, Fruit Heights, Utah 84037|
|Website||Davis County Animal Control|
Davis County Dog Bite Laws
Davis County requires both owners and victims to report any animal attack, including dog bite incidents, within 24 hours, according to the Code of Ordinances Section 6.16.140. Owners of such aggressive animals can be subject to prosecution and held financially liable for damages caused to a person or another animal.
The ordinance states defense exceptions if the animal was adequately confined on premises or if the animal was "deliberately or maliciously provoked.”
The code does not state how the victim of a vicious animal attack will be compensated for medical expenses or enforce the liability stated in the ordinance.
Can You Sue Someone for Dog Bites?
Because the Davis County animal control ordinance does not address how victims of a dog bite or attack will be compensated, you may need to seek the money on your own or ask the courts for help. In that case, you should work with an experienced dog bite attorney to get paid what you are owed.
How to Get Recover Costs From a Dog Bite in Davis County by Yourself
If you have suffered a dog bite victim in Davis County, you are required to report the incident within 24 hours to Animal Care and Control. Reporting an incident will create an essential piece of evidence as you try to get repaid for medical expenses. Report the incident by calling 801-444-2200.
Methods you can pursue to be reimbursed for medical expenses include:
- Talk to the dog owner, who might step up and pay quickly to avoid going to court.
- Contact the owner's insurance company to file a direct claim. Be aware that insurance companies don't like to pay claims, so this might take some time.
- File a small claims case through the Davis County Justice Court. Small claims cases typically are scheduled within a few weeks and settled quickly.
- File a civil lawsuit through one of the Davis County District Courts if you choose to pursue a civil case, which will be costlier initially as you must pay filing fees and attorney's fees, which could be repaid if you win the lawsuit. A civil suit will drag on for potentially months.
Getting compensated for expenses through these methods could take days if the owner is willing to pay or months if you work through an insurance company or a civil lawsuit.
How DoNotPay Helps You Get Reimbursed for Dog Bite Injuries
If you wish to report a dog bite incident to Davis County Animal Care and Control and seek to be repaid for injuries or damages, DoNotPay can handle the entire process. You can avoid hiring an attorney or wasting your precious time trying to complete all the paperwork for local authorities and the dog owner's insurance company. You simply provide information about the incident to DoNotPay, and we will get your case resolved.
How to report an animal-related incident on DoNotPay:
If you want to report an animal-related injury but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:
- Search "animal" on DoNotPay, find the Animal Control product, and select whether you've sustained a physical injury.
- Select whether you would like to report this incident to your local government agency, or demand compensation from the pet owner.
- Tell us more about the incident, including when and where you were injured, a description of the animal that caused the injury, and the contact information for the pet owner (if known).
And that's it. DoNotPay will file the demand letter or government report on your behalf with your incident details. You should hear back from them directly with further questions/confirmation regarding your demands.
DoNotPay Helps With Dog Bite Issues Across the Nation
DoNotPay can you and others you know report vicious animal attacks in cities, counties, and states across the country. Among the places DoNotPay will help get compensation are:
- Los Angeles
If you or someone you know has suffered an attack by a vicious animal or a dog bite and needs to be repaid for medical expenses, sign up for DoNotPay or get the app and start the compensation process today.