How to Apply for a Dallas Building Permit
If you're planning a construction project in Dallas, you may need to apply for a . The process for getting a building permit is certainly not straightforward, however. Without knowledge of building codes and legal requirements, figuring out how to get a building permit can be quite a challenge.
When Is a Building Permit Necessary in Dallas, TX?
Generally, a is required when work will be done on structural elements of a building. Historic or conservation districts have particular regulations regarding work on the exterior of properties.
The law in Dallas states that no one shall erect, construct, enlarge, add to, alter, repair, replace, improve, remove, install, convert, equip, use, occupy or maintain a structure or building service equipment without first obtaining a master permit from the building official. Many types of work, however, do not require an official permit. When in doubt, it is best to consult with an expert.
What Type of Work Does Not Require a Building Permit in Dallas?
There are quite a few types of work that don't require a building permit in Dallas. These include the following:
- Stopping of leaks in pipes, drains, or plumbing fixtures if the repair does not require replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes, or fixtures.
- Nonstructural interior remodeling of single-family or two-family dwellings that do not add floor area or change exterior doors or windows.
How Do I Get a Building Permit in Dallas?
Getting a building permit in Dallas is not an easy task. If you aren't sure exactly what you need and what the law requires, it can seem like an overwhelming process. But we're here to answer a few questions many people have when they take on this task.
Who Do I Contact to Get a Building Permit?
Most permits are issued at the Building Inspection Permit Center but can be obtained at a Building Inspection District Office in some instances.
The Building Inspection Permit Center is located at the Oak Cliff Municipal Center, 320 E. Jefferson Blvd., Room 118. The Permit Center can also be reached by phone at (214) 948-4480.
Registered contractors can also apply for Dallas building permits online. If you are not a registered contractor, however, you will not be allowed to use this option.
What Does the Process Look Like for Getting a Permit?
To apply for a Dallas building permit as a noncontractor, you will need to download and fill out the building permit application from the Building Inspection Permit Center. If you have questions, staff are available in the Center to assist you during business hours. Getting to the Center in person, however, is often a challenge for busy people.
What Fees Are Associated With Getting a Dallas Building Permit?
There are numerous possible fees associated with applying for a building permit in Dallas, and it can be quite a challenge to sort through them all. Some of the more important fees to keep in mind are the following:
|Master Permit||$100 minimum|
|Site Plan Review||The greater of $50 or $0.004 per sq. ft. of building area or area to be paved, whichever is greater.|
|Certificate of Occupancy||$280|
How Can I Get a Dallas Building Permit Using DoNotPay?
As you've seen from all of the above, sorting through the bureaucracy associated with getting a Dallas building permit can be a real headache. If you can't do it on your own, one option is to hire a contractor. But of course, contractors aren't cheap, and giving them more tasks means more money out of your pocket.
Now there's another option, however: DoNotPay. If you want to apply for a building permit without hassle in Dallas but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered.
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and the timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
Why Use DoNotPay for Building Permits?
DoNotPay takes the headache out of dealing with bureaucracy. With DoNotPay, you can expect to get your building permit needs to be sorted out quickly and easily. DoNotPay is
- Fast --You don't have to spend hours trying to get a building permit.
- Easy --You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in getting a permit.
- Successful --You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you.
What Else Can DoNotPay Help With?
DoNotPay isn't only available to assist with building permits in Dallas. It can also help assist you with obtaining building permits in a wide variety of other locations as well. Examples of the places where we can assist you with building permits include:
DoNotPay can also help you solve other problems such as:
- Standardized legal documents
- Notarize any document
- Reducing property taxes
- Insurance claims
- And many more!
Give DoNotPay a try today and experience all the ways it can serve you.