A Guide to Applying for Crime Victims Compensation in WA
Have you or your loved one been a victim of a crime in Washington? Going through the trauma is bad enough—unexpected expenses can only make the situation worse. Learn how to apply for crime victims compensation in WA with DoNotPay. We will help you file a victims compensation claim in a few clicks and take the financial burden off your shoulders.
Washington State Crime Victims Compensation Program Explained
Washington State created the Crime Victims Compensation Program to help victims and their families deal with crime-related costs, such as medical or funeral expenses. The program covers the costs only if your other compensation and reimbursement options—insurance and restitution—don’t cover them.
If you are a victim of a felony or gross misdemeanor, you can receive up to $190,000 from the WA compensation program, which is a substantial amount. In most states, victims usually get around $25,000 for their expenses.
The following list shows the maximum compensation amounts depending on the type of costs covered:
- Lost wages—60% of the victim’s wage
- Benefits for victims:
- Permanent 100% disability wage loss—up to $40,000
- Temporary wage loss—up to $15,000
- Benefits for families of homicide victims—up to $40,000 including burial expenses
- Medical treatments—up to $150,000
- Burial expenses—up to $6,620
The crime victims compensation money comes from perpetrators’ court fees and victim funds for violent crimes, such as:
Costs Covered by the Crime Victims Compensation Program in Washington State
The Crime Victims Compensation Program in Washington covers numerous crime-related expenses. The following table shows which costs are and aren’t covered by the program:
|Washington State Crime Victims Compensation Covers||Washington State Crime Victims Compensation Doesn’t Cover|
You can receive compensation for travel costs if:
- You need to travel more than 15 miles from your home
- There’s no other provider of the same service closer to you
- Your claim manager preapproved the travel for:
- Treatment for the crime-caused injury
- An independent medical exam
Who’s Eligible To Receive Crime Victims Compensation in Washington?
Washington State Department of Labour & Industries grants nontaxable benefits to:
- Victims of assault, rape, domestic violence, drunk driving, or any other violent crime who suffered a crime-related physical injury or mental trauma in Washington State
- Child victims who apply through one of their parents or legal guardians
- Family members of the deceased victims
To get the benefits, you need to:
- Report the crime to the police within one year of the crime
- Cooperate with the investigation
- File a timely claim for the Crime Victims Compensation Program in Washington. You should apply for compensation within:
- Two years of filing the police report
- Five years of reporting the crime (in certain circumstance)
- Two years of the 18th birthday if the victim was a minor at the time of the crime
Your claim will be denied if your injury happened:
- Because of your own actions (e.g., participating in the injury-causing event)
- While you were committing a felony
- While you were in prison
You can file your Crime Victims Compensation Program claim in under five minutes with DoNotPay.
Learn How To Apply for Crime Victims Compensation in Washington With DoNotPay
Victims of violent crimes and their relatives suffer enormous physical and emotional distress. Since you already have a lot on your plate, dealing with unexpected costs should be the least of your worries. Crime victims compensation programs are there to make the situation easier for everyone.
Applying for benefits on the Washington State Department of Labour & Industries website can be complicated. With DoNotPay, you won’t have to waste hours completing the forms. Our product can help you file a claim in a matter of minutes.
- Sign up for DoNotPay
- Pick the Compensation for Crime Victims feature
- Tell us whether you’re the direct victim or a claimant
- Answer our questions regarding the crime and expenses
- Verify your signature
DoNotPay will complete and send the application automatically. We can assist you in filing a claim effortlessly in any state, including:
When Will Your Claim Be Processed?
You should be informed about the Crime Victims Compensation Board’s decision within a month of filing your claim. If you’d like to check the status of your application, you should call 800-762-3716.
Has Washington State Denied Your Claim? Learn How To Appeal Its Decision
If you think that your application was wrongfully rejected, you can send a protest within 90 days of being informed about the outcome of your claim. Washington State Department of Labour & Industries will review the protest and inform you about the follow-up decision as soon as possible.
Should you disagree with them again, you can file an appeal to the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals.
DoNotPay Can Do Your Paperwork for You!
Feeling like you're in bureaucratic hell? Our app will draft the paperwork you need and get you out of any hurdle before you know it!
We can compose most of the documents that you require for any administrative purpose in your jurisdiction, most notably:
- Legal forms for the small claims court disputes in your state
- Court scripts so you don't get lost for words in front of the judge
- Parking ticket appeals
- Extension letters and fee waivers for your overdue bills
- Warranty claims
- Cease and desist letters for stalkers and harassers bolstered by applicable state and federal laws
- Dispute letters for chargebacks and refunds
- DMCA takedown notices
- Forgotten property claims
- College fee waiver applications
- Application emails for clinical trials in your area that boost your chances of enrollment
- Digitized letters for keeping in touch with your imprisoned loved ones that comply with the local prison practices
- Insurance claims
More of What We Can Do for You
Our multifaceted app can call and record the conversation with the customer service of the company that just won't let you go! If you are having trouble canceling an unwanted service via the traditional channels, use DoNotPay to get it over and done with!
We'll also lend a helping hand in stopping spam mail—whether it's electronic or paper. Our Spam Collector product unsubscribes you from unwanted emails and cleans up your physical mailbox too!