Repair Your Credit Report Quickly and Easily
Whether you're looking to buy a house or just improve your credit score, can be a daunting task. Your credit score affects everything from opening an account to buying furniture or even getting a job. It is therefore important to watch your credit report and repair any negative entries as quickly as possible. Fortunately, DoNotPay is here to help you tackle negative reports and get your credit score back where it belongs.
What Is a Credit Report?
A credit report compiles your credit activity and current financial situation, including your payment history, credit card balances, outstanding debts, collections, and judgments. Banks and financial institutions use your credit report to determine your creditworthiness when you apply for financing. The information in your report is compiled by one of the major credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and Transunion. These entities store and analyze your financial data to provide a snapshot of your credit history for inquiring lenders. You are entitled to a free copy of your credit report annually.
What to Look For in Your Credit Report
When you pull your credit report, check that your personal information is correct and that the accounts, inquiries, and public records referenced are familiar. If you notice an incorrect entry on your credit report, including late payments, missed payments, collection accounts, and judgments, dispute the entry as soon as possible. You should also dispute any unfamiliar financing, even if it is in good standing. Unfamiliar lines of credit could indicate fraudulent activity or identity theft.
If everything on your report is correct and your score is still low, the following items may affect your credit:
- Late payments
- Collections accounts
- Unfavorable judgments
- High credit usage
- Low credit availability
- Too few open accounts
- Too many new accounts
- Not enough history
- Too many recent inquiries
- Bankruptcy or foreclosure
How to Dispute an Incorrect Entry on Your Credit Report
If you find erroneous activity entered on your credit report, follow these steps to dispute the entry:
- Send a credit dispute letter to the credit bureau by mail or email.
- Provide your name, SSN, date of birth, address, phone number, email address, and other requested information.
- Submit copies of identification, such as your driver's license and a utility bill.
- Provide documented proof that you are not liable for the disputed entry.
- Include the details of the disputed entry.
- Send a debt validation letter to the reporting business or collection agency.
How to Repair Your Credit Report On Your Own
Repairing your credit report can be a time-consuming and complex task. Even if you aren't disputing invalid reports, your credit may need some work to get it up to speed. Below are some things you can do to fix your credit score on your own:
- Pay off late or outstanding debts.
- Send a Goodwill Credit Letter. Many creditors and collection firms will remove a late payment or collections from your credit report.
- Reduce your debt. Keep your credit card and other loan debt below 30%.
- Remove inquiries. Ask creditors to remove their inquiries from your credit report.
- Report utility payments. Some credit card companies can boost your score by positively reporting your regular utility payments.
- Open new lines of credit. If you have little credit history, you can improve your credit score by adding accounts in your name.
Let DoNotPay Help You Repair Your Credit
At DoNotPay, we aim to simplify and streamline the credit report repair process. We will fill out and file forms, send letters, submit disputes, and compile documentation on your behalf, so you can enjoy improved credit without the hassle.
If you are ready to clean up your credit report but don't know how to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:
- Search Clean Credit Report on DoNotPay.
- Prepare a recent copy of your credit report that you can use as reference.
- Let us guide you through the 4 potential options:
- If you've already paid off your debt, we'll help you file a Goodwill Removal Request to get it removed.
- If you notice any errors in your report (we have a list of common errors you can use!), we'll help you file a credit dispute to the creditor or major credit bureaus.
- If there are no errors, we'll check if you're still eligible to file a debt validation request. If they can't validate your debt, they're required to remove it from your report, and they can't collect it!
- Lastly, if none of the above options work, we'll help you file a pay-to-delete negotiation letter. You can customize the amount you are willing to pay in exchange for getting the item removed.
You may also benefit from our other credit products, including Credit Limit Increase, Get My Credit Report, Keep Unused Cards Active, and more!
Benefits of Partnering With DoNotPay for Your Credit Report Repair
When you work with DoNotPay, you enjoy the following benefits:
- Fast – You don't have to spend hours contacting creditors and writing letters.
- Easy – You don't have to fill out complex forms or track your correspondence.
- Successful – You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you with each of your creditors.
DoNotPay Works Across All Entities to Solve Your Problems
In addition to helping you , DoNotPay offers assistance for a wide variety of other tasks, from consumer complaints to registering your car. Our services are geared toward simplifying the complex and time-consuming paperwork, correspondence, and filings, so you can focus on more important things. Other services we offer include:
|Helping with bills
|Financial aid appeals
No matter what issue you are working through, DoNotPay is here to help!