How To File A Lawsuit Against Costco
Can you sue Costco? The answer is yes, you can sue the world’s fifth-largest retailer in small claims court and receive compensation for your damages. For example, 11-year-old Nancy slipped on spilled soup and fell, rupturing her tail bone. Her family received approximately $2,000 in small claims for Costco’s negligence.
Personal injury is only one of the many reasons people sue Costco in small claims court — a specialized division of the legal system that deals with claims under $10,000. This article will discuss the legal grounds for filing a lawsuit against Costco, the steps to suing in small claims court, and the hassle-free way of suing with .
Legal Grounds For Suing Costco
Sue Costco For Harassment
The most common types of harassment by Costco include:
- Discriminatory rhetoric
- Sales and display of offensive pictures
- Sexual harassment
Sue Costco For Discrimination
Since 2000, Costco has lost over $14 million in penalties for discriminatory acts on the basis of:
- Wage and work hours
- Skin color
If you are an employee or a job seeker at Costco, you can check out other ways they can violate your rights.
Sue Costco For Carelessness and Negligence
Many cases brought against Costco fall under this category. Some examples include:
- Slip and fall
- Walkway accident
- Pallet crane operation accident
- Shopping cart accident
- Wrong billing or overbilling
- Returns and refunds grievances
- Parkway hazard and accident
- Sale of expired products
- Hostile work environment
- Violation of health and safety standards
Here is a table showing violation tracker’s five primary offenses by Costco and how much it has caused them.
|Types of Offense||Frequency of Occurrence||Total Penalty For Costco|
|Violation of wage rates and work hours||9||$37 million|
|Discrimination of employees||4||$14 million|
|Violation of laws regarding controlled substances||1||$12 million|
|Violation of environmental laws||26||$6 million|
|Violation of consumer rights||2||$4 million|
How to Settle A Dispute With Costco?
|Forward your complaint to your supervisor or Human Resources.||File a complaint with Costco's customer service representative.|
|If HR fails to resolve the issue, file a formal complaint with your union or with the EEOC.||When the customer service representative fails to resolve the issue, formally address the complaint to his/her supervisor.|
|If you feel unsatisfied with the EEOC complaint procedures and outcome, obtain a notice-to-sue from the EEOC and file a small claims suit.||File a small claims lawsuit against Costco if you fail to reach an out-of-court settlement.|
To file a small claims lawsuit against Costco, you’ll need to:
- Gather evidence: You will need your receipt of purchase, call logs, complaint letter, and other evidence that proves you are employed by or you are a customer of Costco.
- Serve your demand letter: This is a document that formally notifies Costco of your unsolved grievances, when and how you want your compensation, and a notice to sue if no action is taken.
- File your case and serve Costco: You will need to check the specific requirements of your county court to know how they operate, the filing fees they demand, and the processes involved in serving your claim to the defendant.
- Defend your case in court: Finally, it’s time for you to appear before the judge and state your case. In some situations, representatives of Costco will neglect to appear to oppose your lawsuit. Should that happen, you win by default.
How to Sue Costco With DoNotPay?
Suing Costco by yourself can be daunting and complicated. Let DoNotPay handle the legal work for you! The world’s first robot lawyer streamlines the suing process into 4 simple steps so that you can file a lawsuit at the comfort of your home! All you need to do is:
- Go to and select the Sue Now product
- Enter the type and value of compensation you seek
- Select whether you want a demand letter or court filing forms
- Describe the reason for the lawsuit and submit any applicable evidence
That’s it! DoNotPay will generate a demand letter or court filing forms for you. It will also mail a copy of your demand letter to Costco on your behalf!
DoNotPay is Your Personal Lawyer
Apart from helping its users sue Costco, DoNotPay can help with an array of other issues, such as:
- Contesting and appealing parking tickets
- Getting compensation for victims of crimes
- Creating and using virtual credit cards
- Finding unclaimed money
- Filing a lawsuit against AT&T
- Suing Uber
- Suing Verizon
- Filing a suit against a company without a lawyer in small claims court
- Filing a claim against insurance companies
- Suing airlines