Fight Unfair Costco Fees In 3 Easy Steps
Costco is a member-only retailer that provides its customers access to quality products in bulk and at the best possible prices. Annual membership charges form a big chunk of Costco fees, with each level providing different benefits to the customers. The highest membership level is the Executive membership at a fee of $120, Business membership at $60, and the Gold Star membership at $60 as well.
For a retailer like Costco, the prices displayed may not always include other related sales tax which, over time raises your overall fees. As a consumer, you might consider it tough to appeal hidden fees frequently and you may also feel afraid to confront a giant corporation like Costco. Well, not anymore. DoNotPay will take up your fee waiver request and present a strong case on your behalf.
Costco Fees Explained
Costco charges annual membership fees and also carries sales tax and members may not easily recognize the charges as the tax amounts are not specified. This table provides the detailed fee structure and the benefits that come with each membership level.
|Membership Level||Fee Amount & Benefits||Pro or Con|
|Executive Membership||Fee: $120 $60 membership fee and $60 upgrade fee and any applicable sales tax
|This fee can be a pro if you use Costco more than once or twice a year. A few shopping trips and the fee will pay for itself with savings.|
|Business Membership||Fee: $60 membership fee with additional applicable sales tax
|This is only a pro if you run a business with several locations and need several employees to make Costco purchases.|
|Gold Star Membership||Fee: $60 membership fee with additional applicable sales tax
|If you run a large household and need several cardholders this could be a pro.|
There’s More to Know About Costco Fees
As with other retailers, the bulk of the products they sell may occasionally come with extra taxes. These extra expenses are passed on to the members, who may not realize it until checkout.
Another common fee at Costco is the non-member 5% surcharge over and above the prices listed for purchases. This applies to all products except prescription drugs. It is the company's way of rewarding their customer's loyalty while also encouraging non-members to join their program.
It's important to also consider any applicable shipping fee. Costco does a majority of the shipping for free but some products come from their original vendors with additional shipping charges. Once the item is shipped, delivery charges are deducted from your card alongside the price of the purchase.
You may also incur differing delivery fees for identical items if the inventory came from two different vendors or manufacturers. For many members, the accumulation of such fees may not be easily visible until you get a hold of your financial statements.
How to Avoid Costco Fees
You may then ask, "Is there a way to avoid Costco fees?" The answer is yes. Here are some tips to help you shop at Costco and never get charged.
1. Shop cards: Costco provides its members with non-expiry shop cards worth up to $2,000. You can request a member to buy cards for you and can pay them upfront or search for card resales on online marketplaces such as Amazon. The cards will help you shop at your convenience and perform refills at gas stations with no extra charges.
2. Shopping tag: Costco allows its members to bring along a non-member for shopping. However, only members can make the payments, so you will have to repay them later.
3. Charge-free prescription drugs: You can make prescription and over-the-counter purchases fee-free at Costco. This applies to members and non-members. Other medical services you can access include flu shots, and ear and eye exams.
4. Household cards: If you live with a member who is signed up for any of the memberships, you can request the extra free card to make purchases at Costco.
How to Fight and Waive Costco Fees With the Help of DoNotPay
Appealing Costco fees by yourself may prove lengthy and frustrating. That's why you need a reliable companion who can make the best fee waiver case for you anytime.
Here's how you can use DoNotPay to appeal fees:
- Search "appeal fees" on DoNotPay, choose the Fight and Waive Fees product, and select the type of fee you want to appeal.
- Select the merchant you want to appeal fees for and enter the details of your transaction, including an associated account if you have one.
- Submit your case! DoNotPay will generate the best argument for your case and make sure your fee waiver request gets sent to the merchant for processing.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Helping you appeal Costco fees is just one of the many things we can do for you. DoNotPay works for all sorts of fees that you don’t want to pay. Try it for:
- eBay fees
- Coinbase fees
- Robinhood fees
- PayPal fees
- HOA fees
- Etsy fees
- Chase fees
- Baggage fees
- And Shopify fees
But that’s not all. Here are soe other services you can enjoy on DoNotPay:
- Appealing a banned account
- Helping you find and apply for scholarships
- Help with airline flight compensation
- Find all standardized legal documents
- Help to notarize any document
- Help to contact embassies and consulates
- Help to file a complaint against a company or individual
- Help to reduce property taxes
- Help to create passport photos