How to Get a Marriage Certificate in Colorado
Obtaining a copy of a should be simple enough, but is it?
The State of Colorado does not necessarily make it easy to obtain a copy of a marriage certificate. In fact, they make you jump through a few hoops in order to procure one.
Colorado does not have a one-stop way of getting a marriage certificate. You will need to contact the county in which you were married to get the copy of the certificate you need, which can be time-consuming and expensive.
If you want to check out a faster and easier way to get the copies you need, DoNotPay can get you started with a click of a button.
The Difference Between Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licenses
There are important differences between Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licenses.
A marriage license is essentially the permission, by the city, state, or county, to get legally married to another person. A marriage certificate proves that you got married. The marriage certificate shows the county, date, and location of the marriage ceremony and the signatures of both parties.
Who Can Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Colorado?
Not just anyone can get a copy of a Marriage Certificate in Colorado.
To be qualified to get a copy of a marriage certificate in Colorado, you need to be qualified as a party to the marriage or their immediate family members. When requesting a certified copy, you need to show a photo ID if you were a party at the wedding. Immediate family members need to provide a photo ID and proof of their relationship with the parties. Informational copies are not restricted. These can be requested online.
Why Do I Need a Certified Copy?
When it comes time to change your name with Social Security, the DMV, and your bank, only a certified copy will be accepted.
Certified copies of the marriage license are needed for name changes with Social Security, driver's licenses, and bank accounts. It is always best to get at least 5 certified copies after the wedding.
How Much Does it Cost to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Colorado?
Certified copies of the marriage licenses are $1.25 each. Colorado marriage licenses and marriage certificates are all a single form.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Colorado?
The documents you need will depend on if you are a party to the wedding or a qualified relative.
You need to have a photo ID. If you are requesting a certified copy, you need also to have proof of your relationship with the happy couple by including a copy of your birth certificate or similar documentation that shows your name and theirs.
Sound confusing? You can avoid this confusion by using DoNotPay to obtain a copy of your birth certificate.
How to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate On Your Own
To get a copy of a marriage license/marriage certificate in the State of Colorado, you need to file your request with the County Recorder in the county in which you were married.
- Fill out the application form specific to the Colorado county in which the wedding took place.
- Note on the application what your relationship is to the married couple by providing additional proof that you are an immediate family member..
- You must be an immediate family member or a party to the wedding.
- Parties to the wedding include the officiant, bride and groom, witnesses whose signature appears on the marriage certificate, and the immediate family of the bride and groom.
- If you cannot prove this relationship, you will only be able to procure an informational copy of the documentation.
- Include payment in the amount of $1.25 per certified copy.
- If you only need informational copies, you can order one directly from the county online. You will still need to present a picture ID to the County Clerk and Recorders office, or your application may be denied.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Marriage Certificate Processing Fee|
|Colorado Vital Records Section||Colorado Dept. Of Health
4300 Cherry Creek Drive
Denver, CO 80246-1530
|First Copy: $17.00
Additional Copies: $10.00
Next Steps for Getting a Copy of a Marriage Certificate if You Can't Do It Yourself
If you are unable to procure a copy of the Marriage License/Certificate, you may need to:
- Consult with an attorney. The hourly rate of family attorneys can be astronomical. Many lawyers will charge hundreds of dollars an hour for their services.
- Ask another family member to get a copy for you.
- Go down to the physical office of the Clerk/Recorder to make your case.
- Go to DoNotPay for assistance.
These options are time-consuming and expensive. Save time and money by using .
Get a Copy of a Colorado Marriage Certificate Instantly with the Help of DoNotPay
If you want to Order/Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Colorado but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Order a Copy of Your Colorado Marriage Certificate
When you need a copy of your Colorado marriage certificate, DoNotPay is the best way to get it done.
Don't hesitate! Get started with DoNotPay in just a few minutes. You should not have to waste precious time when DoNotPay is:
- Fast: DoNotPay only takes a few minutes. Simply click on a button, answer a few questions, and you are done.
- Easy: You answer the questions and let DoNotPay do all the work. They even offer virtual notary and check mailing services as needed.
- Successful: When you get help from DoNotPay, you will be getting your application for a copy of a marriage certificate done right. They will make sure that they include everything you need to make sure your application is not denied.
DoNotPay can get your copy requested faster than any other option. When you use , we guarantee that your satisfaction is just a simple click away.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay is an excellent resource for a variety of different services.
With the help of DoNotPay, you can:
- Learn how to fill out a marriage certificate.
- Write defamation demand letters
- File for airline flight compensation
- Child travel consent forms
- Learn how to cancel reservations and other events
- Learn how to obtain chargeback and refunds
- Learn how to get your passport photos
- Learn how to file a complaint
- Get help preparing item return requests