Animal Services in California: Clovis Animal Control
Animal Control is the department of a city, town, or county responsible for enforcing animal-related laws and investigating cases of cruelty to animals. Every city, town, and county in California has an Animal Control department; however, they vary significantly in size. is located in Clovis, California, and services the city and the surrounding unincorporated areas.
Animal control officers typically investigate cases such as neglected or abused animals; strays; wild or dangerous animals such as bears, wolves, coyotes, and alligators; overpopulation of certain types of animals in specific areas; complaints involving dog bites and other animal attacks on people.
If an animal in Clovis has bitten you, you must file a report as soon as possible. If you're unsure what the process entails, DoNotPay can help.
About Clovis Animal Control
In California, each city's animal control services are different, so it is essential to investigate what services are available to you before an incident occurs. deals with all types of animal-related issues and has the authority to handle:
- Animal control complaints
- Dog bites and attacks on people–If you come in contact with a wild or dangerous animal while out walking, call animal control immediately.
- Sick or injured stray animals
- Dead wildlife found in the city
- Nuisance wildlife, such as raccoons, opossums, and skunks
- Animal overpopulation
Is an Animal Control Officer the Same as a Police Officer?
In California, an animal control officer is a peace officer under the California Penal Code. While they do not have the same authority as a police officer, they do have the authority to arrest for certain animal-related crimes.
Clovis Animal Control Location, Hours, and Contact Details
Clovis Animal Receiving and Care Center
The Clovis Animal Receiving and Care Center handles lost, found, and surrendered animals. Adoption services are also available at this location.
|Hours||By appointment only|
|Address||908 Villa Avenue, Clovis, CA 93612|
|Phone (After hours)||(559) 324-2800|
Miss Winkles Pet Adoption Center
In addition to the Clovis Animal Receiving and Care Center, additional adoption services are available through Miss Winkles Pet Adoption Center.
|Hours||Tuesday-Sunday, 1 PM-5 PM|
|Address||85 Temperance Ave, Clovis, CA 93611|
Clovis Dog Bite Regulations
California's strict dog bite regulations may affect your ability to file a claim if a dog bites you. According to California Civil Code Section 3342, the owner of a dog is liable for damages suffered by any person who is bitten by the dog while in a public place or lawfully in a private area, including the property of the owner of the dog, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner's knowledge of such cruelty.
In addition, Chapter 6.1 of the Clovis Municipal Code states:
- The owner, custodian, or harborer of each dog shall be responsible for the conduct and actions of their animal.
- No vicious animal shall be allowed to remain in the city without immediate confinement. The animal control officer is authorized to impound and humanely place such animals.
- Any person bitten by a dog shall have the right to sue the dog’s owner, custodian, or harborer for damages.
What Do I Do if an Animal Has Bitten Me in Clovis, CA?
If a dog in Clovis has bitten you, call animal control immediately. This department will investigate the case and determine if there was negligence on the owner’s part. If so, animal control has the authority to impound the dog humanely.
Before calling the authorities, make sure that your tetanus shots are up-to-date. You can do this by calling your primary care physician for an appointment or by visiting the nearest Clovis Health Center, which provides low-cost shots.
What if an Animal Bites Me Outside of Clovis?
If an animal bites you while outside of Clovis city limits, you will need to contact the appropriate animal control services for your area. DoNotPay can help you find these services in the following locations and beyond:
- Los Angeles, CA
- Atlanta, GA
- Miami, FL
How to Report an Animal-Related Injury Yourself
Your first point of contact should be your emergency room. They will provide you with any needed medical care and write a report on the injury for your insurance company.
Then, you should contact Clovis Animal Control to report the injury and file a claim. Be prepared to provide the following information:
- Date, time, and location of the injury
- Type of animal involved
- Name and contact information of owner (if known)
- Photos or video of the animal involved
- Medical records from the hospital visit(s)
- Names and contact information of witnesses
- Policy number, name, and contact information of your insurance provider
If you are unable to reach animal control or the police, you may need to take some additional steps to ensure that the animal owner is held liable. You can report an animal-related injury yourself by filling out a City of Clovis Citizen Police Report. This report can be filed online or in person at the Police Department.
How to Report an Animal-Related Incident on DoNotPay
It can be overwhelming to sustain an injury and then take responsibility for reporting that injury to authorities.
DoNotPay provides step-by-step instructions for reporting a wide variety of incidents, including animal-related injuries.
How to Report an Animal-Related Incident On DoNotPay:
If you want to report an animal-related injury but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:
- Search "animal" on DoNotPay, find the Animal Control product, and select whether you've sustained a physical injury.
- Select whether you would like to report this incident to your local government agency, or demand compensation from the pet owner.
- Tell us more about the incident, including when and where you were injured, a description of the animal that caused the injury, and the contact information for the pet owner (if known).
And that's it. DoNotPay will file the demand letter or government report on your behalf with your incident details. You should hear back from them directly with further questions/confirmation regarding your demands.
Why Use DoNotPay to Report an Animal-Related Injury?
It can be difficult to report an animal-related injury, especially if you don't know where to start. DoNotPay simplifies this process by providing you with a free, detailed, and easy-to-read guide for filing a claim.
In addition, DoNotPay will generate legal documents on your behalf, coordinate between services to create a timeline of events, and refer you to an attorney if necessary.
We want to ensure that you have the best chance possible of receiving the compensation you deserve after sustaining an animal-related injury.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
While DoNotPay makes reporting animal-related issues easy, it's not the only service we offer. DoNotPay can help you with:
- Airline Flight Compensation Hacks–get more money back on your flight tickets if they are delayed, canceled, or overbooked.
- Appealing Parking Tickets–find out how to appeal your parking ticket and get your fine reduced or dismissed.
- Reducing Property Taxes–see how to reduce property taxes and save big on the profit you're making at home.
- Advanced Health Care Directives–learn what health care directives are and how to write one for yourself.
Let DoNotPay handle the details of life, so you can focus on what truly matters. Try DoNotPay today.