How to Apply for Clarke County Building Permits Today
You need to apply for Clarke County building permits because selling your home in the future would be virtually impossible without them. You also know the permit office will help to guide you through your renovation. However, you're wondering how to get a building permit.
Unfortunately, getting a building permit in Athens-Clarke County isn't easy. You have to find the right application form, print it out, and mail it, drop it off, fax it, or e-mail it. That said, DoNotPay can help you apply for and get quickly and easily.
When Is a Building Permit Necessary in Clarke County?
To know for sure whether you need a , you should call the Building Permits and Inspections Department at 706-613-3515. Here are some of the most common projects that require a building permit in Athens-Clarke County:
- Installing a swimming pool
- Building a fence
- Replacing siding
- Making structural changes to your home, such as enclosing a porch or building a deck
- Installing a fireplace
- Making repairs costing $2,500.00 or more
When Is a Building Permit Not Required in Clarke County?
Modifications that do not require an Athens-Clarke County building permit include, but are not limited to:
- Repairs costing fewer than $2,500.00
- Playground equipment, such as a swing set
- Kitchen countertops
How to Apply for Athens Clarke County Building Permits in Person
If you want to apply for an Athens-Clarke County building permit, you must determine, find, and download the appropriate permit application from the Athens-Clarke County Unified Government website. Then, you must print it out and fill it out using black or blue ink. Once you have done that, you have to drop off your application at 120 W. Dougherty Street Athens, GA 30601.
Note, the lobby is only open from 8 to 4, Monday through Friday. However, the lobby is closed for federal holidays. Therefore, if you want to drop off your building permit application in person, you will need to take time off from work or hope you can drop it off during your lunch break.
How to Pay For Your Building Permit Application in Cash
Some people mistakenly believe that they do not need to enter the lobby to drop off their building permit application and payment. That said, you don't just need to go into the lobby if you are paying by money order or credit card. You must notify the receptionist if you plan on leaving cash or a check in the dropbox outside the lobby.
If you do not have time to wait in line and talk to someone, you will need to put your application and payment in the drop box located to the left of the front doors. Then, you must e-mail the building inspection department or call and hope you don't have to spend too much time waiting on hold to communicate that you are leaving cash.
How Long It Takes to Get a Building Permit in Athens-Clarke County
It will take no fewer than two business days to get your building permit in Athens-Clarke County. However, you should be aware that it can take longer to get your building permit application approved.
How to Apply for a Building Permit in Clarke County Quickly With DoNotPay
Do you want to apply for a building permit in Clarke County without a hassle? If so, DoNotPay has you covered in just six easy steps:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
Why Use DoNotPay to Apply for Clarke County Building Permits
There are a lot of reasons why you should choose DoNotPay:
|It’s Fast||You don't have to spend hours trying to get a building permit.|
|It’s Easy||You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in getting a permit.|
|It’s Successful||You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you.|
DoNotPay Works Across All Cities and Counties With the Click of a Button
DoNotPay doesn't just benefit people trying to apply for Clarke County building permits. It can help you apply for building permits in any other city or county around the country. For example, you can use DoNotPay to apply for a:
- Palm Beach County building permit
- Los Angeles building permit
- Chicago building permit
- Sarasota County building permit