How to Secure a City of Tampa Building Permit
You're thinking about adding on to your garage, but you're wondering if you need a first. Tampa, like most cities, does have ordinances in place requiring residents to secure permits and approvals before construction, erecting, or expanding on their city property.
What you're not sure about is how to go about applying for and securing a City of Tampa building permit. Of course, you could just try to call the city offices and ask for help. Or you could try navigating the City of Tampa website for direction. But then there are forms to consider. And what supporting documents do you need?
It would be incredibly helpful to your cause if you had a resource to help with this tedious project. After all, you're just trying to add to your garage. But, unfortunately, you didn't anticipate all the extra steps for getting a City of Tampa building permit. Luckily, there is a resource to help with your problem. And DoNotPay can take all those extra steps off of your to-do list so that you can get back to your garage expansion project.
What Building Projects Require a City of Tampa Building Permit?
Every U.S. municipality is different. But if you're a Tampa resident, there are a few building projects that you'll need to be aware of that require building permits.
Generally defined, anytime you plan to do the following in Florida, you'll need approval and building permits:
- Construct, enlarge, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure.
- Erect, install, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system.
The City of Tampa building permit roster, according to Tampa.gov, includes both residential and commercial projects. Here are just a few on the residential side of things, including that garage expansion plan you have in mind.
- New Construction
- Pool and Spa
- Screen Enclosures
How to Request and Secure a City of Tampa Building Permit
Now that you know what types of projects require permits, you need to figure out how to request one for your garage project. Tampa.gov outlines what you'll need to know to request a building permit. And you can always call the city office with specific questions at (813) 274-3100.
But here are the basic steps you'll need to prepare for before you even think about starting that garage project of yours.
|What type of structure am I allowed to build on my Tampa property?||The Land Development Coordination Dept. is responsible for zoning and can help you decide what types of structures are allowed in your given zone.|
|When are plans not generally required for a Tampa construction project?||The City of Tampa building permit guidelines says that plans are not required for some remodeling projects like minor electrical, mechanical, or plumbing repairs.|
|If my plan review is not complete, can I start working on my construction project?||The City of Tampa building permit process requires you to obtain an Early Start Authorization if you plan to start on your project before plans are approved. And it's important to note you can't perform an inspection with the building permit first.|
How Do You Calculate Fees With Your Building Permit?
If all those rules and extra steps don't take the wind out of your sails, wait until you review the City of Tampa's building permit fees and schedule of costs. They try to make it helpful by also offering a fee estimate calculator, in case all those pdf files aren't helpful enough.
Here are some of the categories that will have unique fees, depending on the size and scope of your project:
- Trade permits
- Miscellaneous projects
- New construction, addition, and alteration projects
- General and administration fees
- Refund policy
- Transportation impact fees
- Water connection fees
- Fireline connection fees
- Hillsborough County school impact fees
- Sanitary sewer services fees
And all the while, you're thinking to yourself, there has to be an easier way to get this done, right? How is the average Tampa homeowner supposed to know all of this?
How DoNotPay Takes the Sting Out of Securing Your City of Tampa Building Permit
From the initial application process through to securing those must-have permits in hand, DoNotPay can make it easy for Tampa residents to explore home (and garage) renovations. Don't fall down the neverending rabbit hole of red tape and get lost in the sea of requirements. Avoid the headaches of confusing forms and City of Tampa building permit submission processes, too.
Here's how you can apply for and get your with DoNotPay:
If you want to apply for and get your building permit easily in Tampa but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered. Get your permits in 6 easy steps:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and the timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
Why DoNotPay Is the Best Way to Get a City of Tampa Building Permit
There are a host of reasons to let DoNotPay help secure your City of Tampa building permits, including:
- Fast --You don't have to spend hours trying to figure out the city regulations.
- Easy --You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in securing a City of Tampa building permit.
- Successful --You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you through every step of the building permit request process.
DoNotPay Can Do More Than Just Get Building Permits for You
DoNotPay is the best way to take care of lots of otherwise tedious tasks. Let us help you with building permits in other places, too, like:
- Palm Beach County
- Los Angeles
- Sarasota County
- And many more!
Explore some of the other game-changing products and services DoNotPay offers, like:
- Recover lost online passwords
- Pay a water bill
- Get your city pet license
- Notarize documents
- Fix mistakes on your credit report
If you're interested in adding to your Tampa area garage, don't forget to handle the permissions. And let DoNotPay help you with those City of Tampa building permits so that you can focus on the other, more exciting aspects of your project.