How to Apply for a City of Mesa Building Permit
Every state, county, and city has different regulations regarding building permits. Mesa, AZ is no different. When you're thinking of building your dream home or tackling some tasteful renovations, obtaining a requires a few different things.
Every construction project is required to meet code compliance set by the local government as well as the state, which means you'll need to apply for a permit and have an inspection period to ensure every part of your project is done right under local regulation standards. Additionally, permits will vary based on whether you're looking to do work on a commercial property or residential property.
Want to skip the process of figuring out what specific type of permit you need and spend more time planning the project at hand? DoNotPay provides hassle-free services to ensure you can apply for a building permit with ease.
When Is a Building Permit Necessary in Mesa
Local ordinances require that a building permit be obtained for any type of construction that exceeds 200 sq ft, whether it be new construction, an add-on to a property, or a simple renovation and repair. The property also must not be subject to the Desert Uplands Development Standards and cannot be located in a Historic Preservation Overlay District or on a site designated as a historic landmark.
In order to obtain a , you must follow Mesa's pre-submittal application to start the process for obtaining and will need to create a documented plan that showcases the current floor plan, if there is one, and the changes being made to that property. In most situations, hiring a professional team to assist you in creating a CAD presentation can help you follow Mesa's procedures.
To name a few, building permits are required in Mesa for projects such as:
- Building a shed or gable
- Utility repair (electric or gasoline)
- Changing a carport to a garage or living space
How to Get a Mesa Building Permit
Obtaining a building permit in Mesa, AZ is a little more difficult than you'd think. While the local government allows you to file your application virtually, their website isn't the easiest to understand and their 'How to' guides are filled with information that doesn't provide much clarity. This can make submitting your application stressful and incredibly confusing.
The basic steps you'll go through in order to receive your building permit for both residential and commercial construction are:
- Create a DIMES account and start a Pre-Submittal project.
- Fill out your application and submit it via the DIMES system.
- Wait for the application to be reviewed by the proper department parties.
- Receive confirmation that your application is undergoing plan processing.
- Confirmation of permit issuance.
In some places of the application, you may not be certain about what information to include or which option to select. When this happens, you can contact the Planning Department at (480)644-4273 or Planning.Info@mesaaz.gov with any questions or concerns.
Information needed for your application will include:
- Completed Checklist
- Site Plan: with dimensions showing existing and proposed improvements
- Aerial photos: include property within 300 feet of the proposed development
- Project Description/Narrative including a description of proposed uses
What Fees Are Associated With Building Permits in Mesa
There's no single price associated with building permit fees in Mesa. Fees are largely based on the improvement's construction costs, the type of permit you're requesting, the inspection charges, and additional details. Inspection fees may increase or decrease based on how many times the inspector comes out to verify that the work has been completed and abides by local and state codes. Additionally, if construction is started before you receive approval on a building permit, you'll likely see extra fees regarding a fine and may even lose your permit.
Here’s a basic table of residential fees:
|Less than $25k||$180 – single inspection
$270 – two inspections
$360 – three inspections
$90 – each additional inspection
|$25k to $200k||$500 –
Plus $6 for each $1k over $25k
|$200k to $500k||$1,550
Plus $9 for each $1k over $200k
You can review the full list of fees and charges here.
Getting a Mesa Building Permit Without Hassle
Are you trying to get a building permit without a hassle in Mesa but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered. Create your own cancellation letter in 6 easy steps:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
How to Obtain a Building Permit in Other Cities and States
Live in a different area? Check out a few of DoNotPay's building permit guides below.