How to Apply for a City of Atlanta Building Permit
With so much time spent at home during the pandemic, many people decided this was a good time to build a house or renovate their current home. If you're also planning to do construction at your house and you live in Atlanta, Georgia, you'll need to apply for a building permit to do the work legally and safely. Even small construction projects, like a fence, require a . The building permit gives official permission for you or your contractor to move forward with your project.
Starting a new project is extremely exciting, but applying for a building permit can be overwhelming. DoNotPay can make the application process easier for you. Through the new Planning Permissions product, DoNotPay will help you:
- check if your project even needs a building permit in the first place
- contact any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission
- generate a step-by-step guide on how to start and complete your building permit application process
When Is a Building Permit Necessary in Atlanta, GA?
Local governments in Georgia help to ensure safety through building permits and inspections. In Atlanta, the Department of City Planning's Office of Buildings issues building permits for construction, tree removal, sign placement, and technical work.
A permit is needed if you plan to build new construction, demolish an existing structure, or alter an existing property. In addition, the is needed for sheds, fences, decks, porches, windows, roofs, solar panels, and signs. You'll also need to request a permit for tree removal, subdivisions, work in the special public interest or historic districts, and changes in use or occupancy. Certain basic repairs, like replacing kitchen fixtures or installing cabinets, do not need a building permit.
How to Get a Building Permit in the City of Atlanta
To request a City of Atlanta building permit, visit the City of Atlanta Online Permitting Portal. You'll first need to set up a profile on the site. You'll then be able to create a building application for either residential or commercial properties. Be prepared with the address or parcel number, your contact information, plus an application form and any supporting documents.
Homeowners submitting for themselves will need supporting documents for applicant responsibility, cost of construction, exempt affidavit, and the homeowner's ID. A contractor submitting the building permit application will also need supporting documents for applicant responsibility, cost of construction, contractor's affidavit, contractor exception affidavit, contractor's ID, contractor's state license, and the contractor's business license. City of Atlanta building permit fees is $7 per $1,000 of the cost of construction.
Get the Atlanta Building Permit You Need With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay can walk you through the City of Atlanta building permit process, taking away all the frustration. If you don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered. Here are the 6 easy steps to take:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and the timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
Why Use DoNotPay to Request an Atlanta Building Permit?
DoNotPay is your hub for solving problems and getting things done. When you need to request an Atlanta building permit, visit DoNotPay for fast, easy, successful solutions.
|Fast||You don't have to spend hours trying to figure out how to request a building permit.|
|Easy||You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in making your building permit request.|
|Successful||You can rest assured knowing DoNotPay will expertly guide you through the process.|
DoNotPay Works Across All Locations With the Click of a Button
It isn't just in Atlanta that DoNotPay can be helpful. The Planning Permissions product is great for locations across the United States. Here are just a few spots where it can help save time and effort when you need a building permit.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Helping you get a building permit in Atlanta, GA is just one problem DoNotPay can solve. There are many other tasks that DoNotPay can help with as well. The following are just a few of them:
- Creating standardized legal documents
- Getting documents notarized
- Reducing property taxes
- Filing insurance claims
Consider DoNotPay as your destination for requesting the City of Atlanta building permits and handling other paperwork as well.