How to Replace Your US Citizenship Document

Naturalization and Citizenship Certificate How to Replace Your US Citizenship Document

How to Easily Replace Your US Citizenship Document

The process of becoming a United States citizen can be a long, complicated, and expensive journey, so the resulting documents are especially important. If your citizenship document is lost or damaged, or if the information listed on it has changed, replacing it can be difficult. Filing the forms required to replace your Certificate of Citizenship is confusing, and the filing fee is expensive.

The difficulty and expense of updating or replacing your citizenship documents put a lot of pressure on you to handle the application correctly. DoNotPay can help you avoid stress and save time when you need to file a replacement form. Here's what you need to know about replacing your Certificate of Citizenship.

Why Would I Need a Citizenship Certificate Replaced?

A Certificate of Citizenship proves that you are a United States citizen, so you'll need the citizenship document any time you need to demonstrate your citizenship. A common example of when you'll need to prove citizenship is applying for a passport. A Certificate of Citizenship is generally issued to those who became U.S. citizens based on their parents' citizenship. Those who apply for citizenship as adults usually have Certificates of Naturalization. The process for replacing these two documents is essentially the same.

There are several reasons you might need to replace your Certificate of Citizenship. These include:

  • Losing the document
  • Damaging the document
  • Legally changing your name
  • Legally changing your gender
  • Having an error on your document

If you've experienced any of these problems or life changes, it's important to update or replace your Certificate of Citizenship quickly so you have up-to-date, valid proof of citizenship.

How Do I Replace My Citizenship Certificate Myself?

Regardless of which method you use, you'll need to file Form N-565, which is the Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document. This form can be filed either online or on paper.

OnlineThese are the steps required to replace your Certificate of Citizenship online:

  1. Make a USCIS account by entering and confirming your email.
  2. Accept the terms of use and create a password.
  3. Fill out the replacement form within your online account.
  4. Submit scans of all required documents.
  5. Pay the filing fee electronically.
On PaperTo replace your Certificate of Citizenship using a paper form, take these steps:

  1. Read the Form N-565 instructions, which are available on the USCIS website.
  2. Fill out the form neatly, either by typing or printing in black ink. Write N/A for any questions that do not apply to you.
  3. Include photocopies of all supporting documents unless the instructions state that the original document is required.
  4. Pay the filing fee by check.
  5. Sign the form.
  6. Mail the form and documents to the USCIS PO box in Phoenix, Arizona.

Supporting Documents

Depending on why you need to replace your Certificate of Citizenship, you'll need to include different supporting documents. These include:

  • Everyone applying for a replacement needs to include 2 passport-style photos.
  • If you are replacing a document because of damage or a mistake, including the damaged or incorrect document.
  • If you are replacing your certificate because you've changed your legal gender, you need to provide a document recognizing the change, such as a court order or medical certification.
  • If you are replacing your certificate because you've changed your name, you need to provide evidence of the name change, such as a marriage certificate, amended birth certificate, or court order.

This process is rather complicated, so it's important to read and follow all instructions carefully to make sure that your replacement application is accepted.

How to Easily Replace Your Certificate of Citizenship With DoNotPay

Replacing your citizenship and immigration documents is an expensive process, so it's important to get them right. Checking through all of the required information and documents to make sure your application is filed correctly can be stressful and time-consuming. Using DoNotPay's fast, easy, and successful citizenship certificate product saves you time, stress, and effort when you need to replace your important documents.

How to replace USCIS-issued citizenship certificates using DoNotPay:

If you want to replace USCIS-issued citizenship certificates but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in easy steps:

  1. Search "naturalization certificates" (or "USCIS") on DoNotPay.


  2. Select the document you are applying for, and the reason why you need a replacement.


  3. Tell us more about the original certificate, including the certificate number, when it was issued, and the details of the person it was issued to. Upload evidence files to support your claims.


  4. Enter the contact information for any preparers and interpreters that helped with the application. Select whether you want to pay the application fee by check or credit card.


  5. Indicate whether you would like to receive a digital copy of your forms or have us mail them to you.


What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

In addition to helping with citizenship documents, DoNotPay can help with many other logistical challenges, including:

  1. Getting a tourist visa
  2. Notarizing a document
  3. Fighting discrimination in the workplace

If you need to conveniently replace your Certificate of Citizenship, contact DoNotPay today.

Want your issue solved now?