Request Late or Unpaid Child Support in Maryland

Child Support Payments Request Late or Unpaid Child Support in Maryland

How to File a Demand Letter for Late/Unpaid Child Support Payment in Maryland

Suppose you're a parent getting a divorce or have never been wedded and are terminating your relationship. In that case, you might need to know about Maryland child support payments. In Maryland, both parents are responsible for their child's support, whether they are married or not.

Child support is a significant source of income, especially for low-income children.

Child support payments, however, provide more than just additional revenue. In reality, non-custodial parents' assistance has been linked to beneficial results for children, such as academic success and educational attainment. However, many non-custodial parents do not meet their obligations on child support payments, thus making it challenging for the custodial parent to get by.

Demanding late child support payments can be stressful for you as a custodial parent. You don't need to worry, though, because DoNotPay is here to help you.

How to Demand Letter for Late Child Support Payment on Your Own

You may take a variety of actions to execute a court-ordered child support order if you are meant to be getting child support payments on behalf of a minor and the other parent is not paying timely or entire child support payments. If you are obligated to pay child support, you should be aware of the penalties imposed if you do not meet your support obligations.

Here’s a variety of ways you can pursue to get your child support payment paid by the non-complying parent that the state of Maryland offers:

  1. Contact Maryland's Child Support Services

Maryland's child support enforcement agency will assign you a child support worker and, if required, an attorney to execute the judgment in court. To apply for assistance from the organization, you must fill out an application and pay a one-time, non-refundable charge of $15. Your claim will be levied an annual $15 fee when you obtain $3,500 in child support payments for that year, on top of the $15 application cost.

  1. Use the Parent Finder Service Provided by the Government

Non-paying parents may hide from the custodial parent in lieu of paying child support. They may even migrate out of state to get away from their duties. The parent locator program enables federal government resources to track down the employer of a non-paying parent. You wouldn't ask for information in a forthright manner. To use the Parent Locator Service, you will need to cooperate with your local child support agency. Once the non-custodial parent has been located, the federal government will enforce the child support order and collect unpaid money.

  1. Employ Wage Assignments

A wage assignment is a legal procedure that permits the court to force an employer to pay the primary caregiver directly from the supportive parent's salary. You can request that the other parent's earnings be deducted and the amount transferred directly to you through an income withholding order. Child support services must notify the paying parent's employer of this action. Child support services will deduct the paying parent's wages like any other expense and send the money directly to the custodial parent. This is a handy tool if the paying parent has consistent employment.

  1. File a Contempt of Court Petition Against the Non-custodial Parent

The other parent is in contempt of court if they knowingly ignore a valid child support decree. The court has the power to impose a variety of remedies, including the parent's temporary incarceration until they pay a specified sum to "purge" the noncompliance. You can submit your contempt of court order or go via your local child support enforcement agency.

The Maryland Courts website has a Petition for Contempt if you're representing yourself. Child services will notify the non-custodial parent after the petition is filed. The court will then hold a hearing to assess if the parent is in contempt.

What Happens if You Don't Pay Back Child Support?

If the other parent defaults on their child support payment, child support services have the following options:

  1. Deduction of child support payment from the non-compliant parent's salary, unemployment benefits, and Workers' Compensation claims.
  2. Notify credit bureaus.
  3. Intercepting the other parent's federal and state tax refunds.
  4. Notify new employers of the parent who owes child support.
  5. Intercept the other parent's Maryland lottery wins and uses them to pay back child support.
  6. Notify the vehicle registration department to suspend the other parent's driver's license.
  7. Garnish the accounts of the other parent at financial institutions.
  8. Bring contempt of court charges against that parent.
  9. Suspend the other parent's professional or recreational license.
  10. Seize the assets of the non-custodial parent to collect past-due child support.
  11. When a non-custodial family leaves Maryland to avoid paying child support, the department of child support enforcement will report the parent to the federal government.
  12. Deny the parent's passport issue or renewal.

Demand Child Support Payments With the help of DoNotPay

If you want to file a demand letter for late child support payments but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:

  1. Search for child support on DoNotPay and enter the details of the person who owes the payments.


  2. Tell us more about the payment schedule, including the amount and frequency of the payments, the last payment they made and number of missed payments, and how much they owe you in total.


  3. Confirm your contact information and select whether you want us to mail or email the letter on your behalf. Choose how you would like to receive the payment and verify your signature.


DoNotPay’s Child Support Guides by State

DoNotPay has child support guides by state. They are as follows:

DelawareNew MexicoWashington State
HawaiiNew HampshireCalifornia
MissouriNevadaNew York
ConnecticutArizonaNew Jersey
South CarolinaAlabamaIowa
North DakotaWest VirginiaPennsylvania
LouisianaOregonNorth Carolina
Rhode IslandIdahoTexas

Why Use DoNotPay to Demand Late/Unpaid Child Support Payments

Being a single parent is challenging enough, DoNotPay makes the process easy and painless.

  • Thoughtful: Our team of professionals has devised ways to go around the long process of demanding child support payments.
  • Prompt: You don't have to spend hours filing a demand for child support payment.
  • Easy: You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in filing a demand letter.
  • Effective: You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you.

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

.Filing demand letters is just one of the things that we do. At DoNotPay, we have a myriad of services that we offer, including:

Contact us at DoNotPay today for all your requests! We are here for you!

Want your issue solved now?