Your Ex May Be Using Child Support Loopholes to Avoid Paying

Child Support Payments Your Ex May Be Using Child Support Loopholes to Avoid Paying

Your Ex May Be Using Child Support Loopholes to Avoid Paying

Child support orders are intended to give minor children the benefit of two contributing parents. However, if your child support order is making it difficult for you to cover your own basic living costs, you may need to find and leverage child support loopholes.

These are legal actions that can make your financial burden far lighter and much easier to bear. You can use them to get a feasible, manageable support order in place. Once you do, you'll have a greater ability to consistently make timely payments to the other parent.

Child support laws vary from state to state. When orders are hastily established, they don't always accurately account for the financial circumstances of non-custodial parents. Fortunately, DoNotPay makes it easy for parents to get reasonable child support orders.

With DoNotPay, you can demand the child support you aren't being paid, or you can make sure that supporting your child doesn't render you incapable of caring for yourself.

How to Find and Leverage Child Support Loopholes on Your Own

With child support loopholes, you'll be reporting changes in your income that impact your ability to pay your current order. These changes can include lost wages and increases in your household size. You can report them directly to your local child enforcement office.

You can also ask for an annual review of your finances. In most states, both custodial and non-custodial parties are legally able to request regular income reviews. This way, their existing support orders can be modified to accurately reflect their circumstances.

Child Support Loopholes That Might Be Applicable to Your Case

There are several  income-related changes that you can report to lower your child support payment amounts. These include:

  1. The birth of a new child
  2. The loss of a job or a demotion
  3. Receiving unemployment benefits (Involuntary unemployment only)
  4. Receiving disability benefits
  5. Increases in the custodial party's income
  6. Increased income due to co-living (The other party is cohabitating with an income earner)
  7. Minor children are spending increased time living in your home
  8. Your child has reached the age of 18 and is no longer in high school

After reporting these or other changes to the Child Support Enforcement Office in your area, you can file for a modification of your existing order to reflect this new data. You should also file for a modification if you believe that the paternity of your child is questionable or if you'll be serving an extended period of time in jail.

When paternity is questioned, your local Child Support Agency can walk you through the steps of legally disputing paternity. You can also work with an attorney.

Budgeting Tips for Child Support Payments

If you owe child support, there are several things that you can do to make managing these monthly payments easier. For instance, you can:

  1. Limit your non-essential spending
  2. Make consistent payments to avoid interest and other penalties
  3. Make partial payments whenever you're unable to make a complete payment
  4. Report changes in your income right away so that your order can be modified accordingly

If you're a parent who's owed child support, you'll want to avoid writing these monies into your monthly budget. This way, if your child support payment is delayed or if it doesn't show up at all, you'll still be able to handle your basic living costs.

Child support isn't taxable. Moreover, it's meant to cover the non-custodial parent's portion of your child's living costs, including food, clothing, and other necessities. Another important thing to note is that it can take time for a child support order to be established.

If you've only recently opened your child support case, don't expect payments to start coming regularly right away.

Do Child Support Arrears Ever Go Away?

Like many parents with child support orders, you may be wondering how long child support is paid and whether or not any arrears you've accrued will ever go away. In most states, your child support order will remain in effect until your minor child reaches the age of 18.

If your child is still attending high school and is unmarried, you'll be required to pay support until they reach the age of 19. However, unlike your monthly child support payments, your arrears will not simply go away after this time.

Child support arrears must be paid in full in order for this debt to be cleared. Continued collection efforts will be made until this is done. However, just as you can have your child support order amended, there are also ways to have your amount of arrearage reduced.

What Happens If You Don't Pay Back Child Support?

Back child support or child support arrears is money that accrues when support payments aren't made. Not only do arrears include missed monthly payments, but arrears can also include a considerable amount of interest as well.

In some states, interest on unpaid child support can accrue at the rate of six percent for every month it remains unpaid. If you don't take legal steps to stop the accrual of arrears by having your order modified, or by paying what you owe, you may find that your total debt quickly spirals out of control.

Not only will your debt grow larger as interest is accrued, but you may face other penalties and problems. These include:

  • Wage garnishments
  • Bank levies
  • Seizure of your assets
  • Loss of professional licenses
  • Passport denial
  • Driver's license suspension
  • Negative reporting to credit bureaus

In fact, in some cases, parents who consistently refuse to honor their child support orders can even be held in contempt. In these states, you can go to jail for not paying child support.  This is especially true if your minor children are receiving public assistance or are in foster homes. If you have a child support order in place, you're required to make these payments until your child is fully grown or until you have your order modified.

Next Steps for Lowering Child Support Payments if You Can't Do It Yourself

If you're unable to successfully get an order for child support modified, you can hire a family law attorney. A family law attorney can tell you all about how child support works and can additionally help you find child support loopholes that are applicable to your case. However, if you cannot afford an attorney, you'll find that working with DoNotPay is far more affordable and equally effective.

Demand Child Support Payments With the Help of DoNotPay

If you're tired of struggling to cover the costs of raising your child on your own, you can use DoNotPay to demand support payments from the other party.

If you want to file a demand letter for late child support payments but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:

  1. Search child support on DoNotPay and enter the details of the person who owes the payments.


  2. Tell us more about the payment schedule, including the amount and frequency of the payments, the last payment they made and number of missed payments, and how much they owe you in total.


  3. Confirm your contact information and select whether you want us to mail or email the letter on your behalf. Choose how you would like to receive the payment and verify your signature.


Lower Child Support Payments With the Help of DoNotPay

If you're struggling to remain compliant with a support order that doesn't accurately reflect your income or your current financial abilities, DoNotPay can help you get your order modified.

Here’s how to lower child support debt using DoNotPay:

  1. Search child support on DoNotPay and select the state your child support agreement was established in.
  2. Answer a series of questions about your current financial situation and your past payments to help guide the application.
  3. Confirm your current contact information, and enter the location of the county court that established your child support agreement, so we can mail your request on your behalf!

Why Use DoNotPay to Demand or Lower Child Support Payments

As the world's first robot lawyer, DoNotPay is capable of successfully handling a vast range of legal issues. With DoNotPay, you don't have to pay excessive legal fees to demand or lower child support payments. Best of all, you can count on DoNotPay to find and leverage the most needs-specific child support loopholes on your behalf.

DoNotPay Works Across All Agencies and Groups With One Click

DoNotPay works across all agencies, companies, and groups with one click. Thus, if you owe child support in multiple counties or states, or if you're owed child support in multiple counties or states, DoNotPay can submit your demands for support or your requests to have support orders modified within just minutes. There's no easier way to deal with excessive arrears or to obtain a fair, feasible support order.

What Else Can DoNotPay Help You With?

Go beyond loopholes. Learn how DoNotPay can make life easier in regard to child support and beyond.

Child Support Laws By State

DoNotPay has researched child support modification guidelines in every state, so all you have to do is click on your state (even if your ex lives somewhere else) to find out the rules for a request.

DelawareMinnesota Wyoming
South CarolinaKansasNorth Dakota
Rhode IslandNebraskaMississippi
New MexicoOhioArkansas
New HampshireNevadaArizona
AlabamaKentuckyWest Virginia
IdahoMassachusetts Georgia
Washington StateColoradoIndiana
CaliforniaNew YorkNew Jersey
FloridaNorth Carolina Wisconsin

In addition to helping you find and leverage child support loopholes, DoNotPay can help you tackle many other challenging tasks. With DoNotPay, you can easily:

Subscribe to DoNotPay today to take care of all of your most frustrating, time-consuming issues in just several easy steps.

Want your issue solved now?