How to Sue for Dog Bites In Chicago Without a Lawyer
Getting a lawyer and filing all of the necessary court documents for your case can feel extremely intimidating. No matter what the case is regarding, it can always feel a little nerve-racking knowing you have to go through this process. When you're trying to assess your need for a Chicago dog bite lawyer, DoNotPay can help.
It's wise to get started by finding out a little information. Utilize DoNotPay's various products so we can help you begin the process of filling out appropriate documents and getting things mailed to the right parties.
Why Might I Need a Dog Bite Lawyer?
Whether for you or your child, you can contact a dog bite lawyer if an incident occurred with another person's dog that led to a bite or injury. It's even possible to sue if damage occurs to your property. The lawyer can help you receive additional compensation for your pain and suffering, especially if the owner was negligent in their behavior.
For example, perhaps you initially thought covering your medical expenses would be enough. Now, you realize the wound will take longer to heal, and you need some time off work to do so. It's now cutting into your ability to earn a living and making you miss out on wages. A lawyer can help you achieve an average settlement of upwards of $30,000.
What Are the Dog Bite Laws in Illinois?
Various laws pertaining to dogs have been set in Illinois.
- A dog owner or keeper is liable for injuries or damages a dog in their care commits.
- An owner may be held negligent if the dog was out of their care or if they knowingly possessed a dangerous pet.
- A landlord may be held liable if the dog is attacked in a shared or public area within the building or on the grounds.
Start by Contacting Chicago Animal Control
It's wise to make a complaint to animal control immediately following the incident. This gets the dog bite on record, so you better your chances of proving the incident and injury in court. The dog is often put into quarantine as well or taken from the household so it cannot harm another person in the meantime.
The City of Chicago Animal Care and Control is responsible for these complaints. Give them a call, and they'll send an officer to assess the situation and take the dog into custody. This facility also handles
- Pet adoptions
- Assistance with lost pets
- A low-cost vaccine clinic
- The Homeward Bound Animal Placement Program
- Foster care and the Doggy Day Out Program,
among other things.
Chicago Animal Control Hours, Location, and Contact Details
Animal Care and Control generally operates daily from noon to 7 pm, though certain services may not be available for the full duration of that timeframe.
|Address||2741 S. WESTERN AVE.
CHICAGO, IL 60608
|Phone Number||(312) 747-1406|
Contact Animal Control With the Help of DoNotPay
You may not have the ability, or be in the right mind frame, to make a dog bite complaint. Let DoNotPay handle it for you, so you don't have the unneeded stress at this challenging time.
- Search "animal" on DoNotPay, find the Animal Control product, and select whether you've sustained a physical injury.
- Select whether you would like to report this incident to your local government agency, or demand compensation from the pet owner.
- Tell us more about the incident, including when and where you were injured, a description of the animal that caused the injury, and the contact information for the pet owner (if known).
DoNotPay will send a demand letter to the dog's owner requesting they pay for your expenses. We'll also make a report to animal control so they're aware of the dog's dangerous nature and can handle it as needed.
Suing for a Dog Bite
You'll need a dog bite lawyer if you're hoping to sue. However, it's also possible to get the process started with DoNotPay's Sue Now product. It only takes a few simple steps, and we'll mail the correct documents and forms on your behalf. Those steps include
- Select the "Sue Now" product after you log into DoNotPay.
- Entering the dollar amount you believe you are owed - typically the amount charged for any hospital bills.
- Select between the demand letter or court filing forms.
- Describe your reasons for filing the claim and submitting any details about your case.
To find a lawyer yourself, you can ask around to other neighbors, family members, or friends who have gone through a similar situation. Otherwise, an online search for options nearby may help you find some well-rated choices.
What Else Can DoNotPay Tackle?
DoNotPay strives to provide any service you could need. Whether it's finding a Chicago dog bite lawyer, reporting your incident with animal control, or something completely unrelated. We work across all cities, companies, and circumstances.
- DoNotPay helps you determine dog bite laws everywhere, including Texas, California, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.
- DoNotPay assists you with making reports to animal control facilities, no matter if it's in Los Angeles, Atlanta, Miami, or elsewhere.
- DoNotPay can help you report a neighbor's night hound who seems to bark at all hours.
- DoNotPay discusses crime victim compensation in Illinois and other states.