Get a Charleston County Building Permit Quickly

Planning Permissions Get a Charleston County Building Permit Quickly

How to Get Your Charleston County Building Permit

As more people are working from home, home remodeling and renovations have seen an upward spike. Whether constructing a new deck, building a new pool, adding extensions, or turning garages into guest rooms, thousands of Charleston Residents have been seeking to rework their homes.

When it comes to home construction and improvement projects, the word "planning permission" often conjures up images of dread and anxiety. Everyone seems to have only heard horror stories. While the process is known for being stressful and time-consuming, the ultimate result is typically determined by your level of preparation. is here to craft that path just for you.

Reasons to Get a Building Permit in Charleston County

Though it may seem strange, any remodeling project that entails changing the structure of your home almost always necessitates obtaining a building permit from your city or county. In many areas, even simple modifications such as erecting a fence require licenses.

You will likely need a building permit to:

  • Remove trees
  • Installation Solar Panels
  • Build a pool
  • Modify walls
  • Alter rooms to new uses
  • Change your roof
  • Demolish a section of your home

While many homeowners and even some contractors choose to disregard these regulations, doing so is incredibly risky as building permit breaches carry steep fines. If you ever sell your property, the new owner may sue you for unauthorized construction.

Your Contractor's Work May Not Be up to Standard

Your most significant risk, aside from a sunken property value, is the project itself. There's no assurance that your contractors will do an excellent job if they don't have the proper permits.

The consequences could be disastrous. For example, if you sell your property, those subpar modifications could cause you problems during the home inspection.

Your Homeowners Insurance May Not Cover the Unpermitted Repair

Another point to consider is that any unpermitted improvements may not be covered by your insurance policy and may even be illegal. It's especially worrying if there has been an accident or calamity in the area of your home. You might fall into a dicey financial situation if a house fire was caused by faulty wiring owing to poor electrical installation.

In a case like this, filing an insurance claim may be fruitless; your policy is unlikely to cover the problem, and you may be on the verge of difficult, costly litigation.

How to Get a Building Permit in Charleston County

What are the required documents for a Charleston County Building permit?

  • Site Survey Report.
  • Survey Plan
  • HOA approval
  • Development blueprints
  • Contractor Certification

Who Do I Contact to Get a Building Permit?

You will have to contact your Charleston County Planning Committee physically at their offices or online through the CSS web portal.

What Does the Process Look Like for Getting a Permit?

  1. Contact your Charleston planning department with the details of your project. If permission is mandated, you will be furnished with an application form and detailed requirements for approval.
  2. Fill the application form and attach all the required drawings and extra items requested.
  3. Pay any due fees and collect your building permit.

What Fees Are Associated With Getting A Permit in Charleston County?

Charleston County charges building permit fees depending on the total valuation of your development project.

ValuePermit Fee
$1,000.00 and lessNo fee, unless an inspection is required, in which case a permit is required, and a $50.00 fee shall be charged.
$1,000 to $2,000$50.00
$2,001 to $50,000$50.00 for the first $2,000 + $4.00 per $1,000
$50,001 to $100,000$242.00 for the first $50,000 + $3.75 per $1,000
$100,001 to $300,000$429.50 for the first $100,000 + $3.50 per $1,000
$300,001 to $500,000$1129.50 for the first $300,000 +3.35 per $1,000
$500,001 and up$1,799.50 for the first $500,000 + $3.00 per $1,000

How to Apply for a Building Permit Easily in Charleston County with DoNotPay

If you want to apply for a easily in Charleston County but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered. Create your own cancellation letter in 6 easy steps:

  1. Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
  2. Choose one of the following options:
    1. Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
    2. Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
    3. Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
  3. Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.

  4. Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and the timeline for the project.
  5. Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
  6. And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.

Why Use DoNotPay to Apply for Your Building Permit

DoNotPay is:

  • Fast --You won't have to spend hours making trips to the planning office.
  • Easy --You don't have to struggle to fill out lengthy application forms and get your documents in order.
  • Successful -- Our team of professionals will work with zeal to get your development started.

DoNotPay works across all entities with the click of a button. DoNotPay can help you apply for building permits in Charleston County and across several states and jurisdictions.

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

Not only do we handle building permit applications, but we also offer a variety of other consumer services, including:

Reach out to DoNotPay today, and we will get your consumer needs handled.

Want your issue solved now?