Easily Change a Mailing Address in Illinois in 5 Steps
Moving to the Prairie State can be exciting, but the many decisions you need to make and tasks you need to do can pose stressful. But don’t put off what is arguably one of the most important tasks: changing your mailing address in Illinois.
Doing an Illinois address change can be tricky, especially if this is your first time changing your USPS address. Your Social Security and DMV information will also need to be updated so you can continue enjoying informed delivery.
So, how do you change your mailing address in Illinois? The best approach depends on your specific circumstances, and how much time and effort you’re willing to put into this process.
How Long Does It Take to Change a Mailing Address in Illinois?
Filing a USPS change of address form isn't always as difficult as it seems. The process can take as little as a few minutes or hours, depending on which platform you are using to change your mailing address. But you must update your mailing preferences and subscriptions to continue receiving mail to your new address.
It is also worth mentioning that initiating the process of forwarding your mail to your new address can take up to two weeks or more. That's why we recommend starting the process as early as possible so any new mail can be forwarded to your new address.
When updating your address, you will also want to contact your:
- Utility companies
- Any other services you are subscribed to, so they can change your mailing address individually.
This can be a strenuous and time-consuming process. But it doesn't have to be.
How to Change Your Mailing Address in Illinois by Yourself
The USPS is the only official entity mandated by the government to handle your mail. Therefore, you are obligated to notify the USPS whenever you're moving to a new place.
As mentioned, changing your Illinois mailing address is a fairly straightforward process. You can use two options to change your mailing address yourself.
1. File for an Address Change Online
If you’re comfortable navigating the USPS’s bureaucratic website, you can:
- Fill out the PS Form 3575 at the official USPS website
- Enter your debit or credit card details and billing address to verify your identity
- Choose the type of address change you want to make
- Pay the $1.10 fee for the change (this will automatically be charged on your card)
You will also be required to provide your email address and other personal identity and contact information in case they need to contact you.
2. File for an Address Change at Your Local Illinois Post Office
You can also change your mailing address at your local post office. The office personnel will guide you through the entire process. Only that this time, you will not be charged and will also be eligible for international addresses.
Use DoNotPay to Change Your Mailing Address in Illinois
Thanks to the DoNotPay app, you can now change your mailing address in Illinois without worrying about the time constraints and delayed processes. DoNotPay provides you with the technological aptitude to change your mailing address from the comfort of your mobile phone or personal computer.
Even so, the complexity of changing your mailing address can make the process time-consuming and stressful. This can make it difficult to handle other important things for the move.
The DoNotPay app will provide you with all the information you need to change your mailing address in Illinois.
|It’s Fast.||All it takes is a few minutes or less to complete the process|
|It’s Easy.||No hunting down forms or returning them to the post office; just complete the simple process right in the app|
|It’s Successful.||Receive a confirmation right away and begin receiving your forwarded mail in as little as seven days|
Let the DoNotPay service change your mailing address in Illinois while you handle other important tasks.
How to Use DoNotPay to Change Your Mailing Address in Illinois
Changing your mailing address using the DoNotPay service is very straightforward. If you want to file a change of address but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:
1. Tell us the new address and when you want to start forwarding your mail
2. Tell us who is moving (is it just you, your family, or your business)
3. Select whether it's a temporary move or permanent
4. Add the option to extend your mail forwarding period beyond 12 months (you can get your mail delivered from your old address for up to 2.5 years)
5. And that's it! DoNotPay will take care of the rest on your behalf. You should receive a confirmation email from USPS after your request is completed.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
The DoNotPay app works across different entities and helps make your work easier. Other services of DoNotPay may be of interest to you include:
- How do I change my mailing address?
- USPS address change not working
- Informed delivery USPS change address
- How to change mailing address when you move
Use DoNotPay to help you take care of your business quickly and swiftly. Join us for more information about our services and how to change your mailing address in Illinois successfully!