How to Apply for Catawba County Building Permits
The county's building department issues to allow construction, alteration, demolition, reconstruction, movement, or removal of any building. The building department allows some exemptions where simple constructions and alterations costing below $5,000 can go on without a permit.
However, before you commence any construction, it's important to confirm whether you need a permit or not and then apply for one if needed. While the exemption rules confuse most people, the permit application process can be more frustrating.
DoNotPay offers a more convenient and less frustrating way to apply for a building permit and get it within a short time. You'll only need to provide the information DoNotPay asks from you and then let them confirm whether you need a permit for the construction and guide you through a quick application process if you need a permit.
When Do You Need a Building Permit in Catawba County?
The most overwhelming question that people ask is, "Do I need a building permit for this?" This is because of the different rules exempting some construction activities from requiring a permit.
In general, you'll need a building permit for residential or commercial construction activity. But, you won't need a building permit if the construction, repair, installation, or alteration costs below $5,000 in a farm building. This rule only applies if your construction doesn't add any load-bearing structures.
Such load-bearing structures include exterior walls, girders, beams, headers, footings, rafters, and floor joists. This means that you can do other alterations like painting, molding, interior walls, and door openings without needing a permit.
Accessory structures like exterior storage in a family dwelling may require a permit if it exceeds 12 feet in any direction. You'll also need a zoning permit from the building department.
You may also need plumbing and a mechanical permit if you make installations that alter the original design. But if you are only replacing the parts with similar parts, you'll not need a permit for the work to proceed.
On the other hand, electrical installations of any kind, however minor, will require an electrical permit. There are no exceptions when electrical alterations are involved.
Also, all commercial constructions will require a building permit.
How to Get a Building Permit in Catawba County
During the application process, you'll need to submit the following details:
- An overall project plan and other architectural details
- Location of the project
- Estimated costs of the whole construction, including site work, materials, and labor
- Signature of the owner
The county's building department may review the proposed project before issuing a , depending on the size of the project.
Who Do I Contact to Get a Building Permit in Catawba County?
You can always contact Catawba County Permit Center at 828-465-8399 and leave a message for any information you may need on getting a building permit. The agents at the permit center will get back to you and direct you on the process of applying for a building permit.
How to Apply for a Building Permit Fast in Catawba County Using DoNotPay
Through DoNotPay's new Planning Permissions product, we'll help you:
- Check if your project even needs a building permit in the first place
- Contact any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission
- Generate a step-by-step guide on how to start and complete your building permit application process
If you want to apply for a building permit fast in Catawba County but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered. Create your own cancellation letter in 6 easy steps:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
Why Use DoNotPay to Apply for Building Permits in Catawba County?
With the confusing exception rules for constructions requiring building permits, it's important to always be sure whether you need a permit or not so that you don't conflict with the law. DoNotPay is a great choice for checking and applying for a building permit.
This is because DoNotPay is:
|Reliable||DoNotPay understands all the building laws in Catawba County, and you can count on it for the best services.|
|Fast||The sooner you get your building permit, the better. So DoNotPay quickens the process so that you get a building permit in no time.|
|Convenient||You can use DoNotPay any time and get help with a building permit for all your building projects.|
Building without the required permit may attract hefty fines and cost you more than you intended to spend. DoNotPay will help you get a building permit without hassle.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay can help you get building permits not just in Catawba County but also in other places like:
- Palm Beach County
- Los Angeles
- Sarasota County
- And many more!
Check out DoNotPay's Planning Permissions Product page for all the information you need.