What You Need to Know About the CalOPPA Complaint Form
Is your data safe on websites and mobile apps? Do you feel threatened by a company's Terms of Service (TOS)?
As websites collect and share user data without proper notification, California provides a way out. With the CalOPPA Complaint Form, you can draw a company's attention to issues in their TOS. It all starts with knowing your rights as a California resident and how to fill the form.
If you feel you can't go through the drama of spotting and reporting violations, try DoNotPay. This article will discuss the CalOPPA Complaint Form and how you can use it.
What is the CalOPPA Complaint Form?
In 2016, the CalOPPA Complaint Form became the official website for California residents to report cases of CalOPPA violations. It enables the Attorney General to decide the best action against businesses ignoring CalOPPA provisions. Now, residents of California have an easier means to report alleged CalOPPA violations.
What Are the Potential CalOPPA Violations Against a Website?
When a business commits any of these offenses, you can file against a violation:
- Inapplicable or incomplete TOS.
What Does the Term "Personally Identifiable Information" Mean Under CalOPPA?
CalOPPA defines Personally Identifiable Information as data of individuals a website captures and maintains for various purposes. Examples of these data include:
- Personal name
- Home address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Social Security Number
- Other means of contacting an individual
What Are the Penalties for Violating CalOPPA?
Violators can pay up to $2500 if found guilty for each case of non-compliance with the law. You're liable for an individual violation whenever a California resident uses your non-compliant website or app.
Though you can report CalOPPA violations through the form, only the California Attorney General can take action.
The California Attorney General introduced the CalOPPA Complaint Form to encourage users to report defaulters. With that, California residents can pressure online businesses to protect their data.
The CalOPPA Complaint Form allows you to select the relevant boxes for your report. It has a space for you to give a detailed description of the violation, and you can also add extra information that you feel will aid the investigation.
If you're ready to report any CalOPPA violation case, follow these steps below:
- Go to the California Online business and company complaint page
- Enter your personal information: Name, Address, Email, and Phone number
- Type the name, address, and phone number of the company
- Write your comment against the violation
- Click the boxes to accept the declaration and authorization
- Submit your complaint
How Can You Submit Your CalOPPA Complaint Form Through Mail?
CalOPPA Complaint Form does not make provision for you to upload supporting documents. If you have copies of documents to offer, this option is for you. All you can do is download the form, print it, and report via mail.
Here are the steps to follow for mail-in complaints:
- Go to the website to download this form
- Print and fill in the form
- Mail to Attorney General's Office California Department of Justice. Attn: Public Inquiry Unit P.O. Box 944255, Sacramento, CA 94244-2550
If you're not happy with a website's service, you have the right to report. But how can you file a complaint when you don't know the website's offense? One way to spot a violation is to scan the company's terms of service (TOS).
Many people fail to analyze a company's TOS, and in turn, become prey. As a customer, any company that ignores your privacy rights breaks the law. But it can be much harder to know which privacy laws are ignored or violated. DoNotPay has a way to make you live a less stressful life.
DoNotPay makes it even easier to spot CalOPPA violations and make a report. We can help you scan websites and analyze how it affects your privacy.
How Can DoNotPay Help You Report Violations Under CalOPPA Complaint Form?
You can tell that it takes a lot of time and effort to complete the CalOPPA Complaint Form. But it takes an even greater effort to scan a website's TOS and spot a violation.
- Go to the Analyze Terms and Services product on DoNotPay.
- Enter the website domain you would like to scan.
- Wait for DoNotPay to identify any legal violations on the website (it should only take a few seconds!) If there are violations, proceed to drafting a demand letter.
- Enter how much you want to receive in compensation and the company name.
- Enter your contact information so the company can contact you.
DoNotPay will generate a demand letter on your behalf with every legal violation we identified that you can send to the company.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay can help you to analyze these company's TOS:
Get in touch with DoNotPay to get prompt help with filing the CalOPPA Complaint Form!