How to Win Against British Gas Debt Collection Agency
No one wants a disconnection, the constant phone calls from the agency, or a trip to the courthouse. When you feel like the doesn't understand that you're struggling to clear your bill, you long for a shoulder to lean on during that difficult time.
Fortunately, DoNotPay takes the burden off your back by contacting the agency on your behalf and looking for loopholes in their terms and conditions to get your debt written off or buy you some time to look for the money.
Who Is the British Gas Debt Collection Agency, And Why Are They Contacting Me?
is a subsidiary of the British Gas Company, and its main objective is to collect dues owed to the company. When your bill is overdue, it is forwarded to the agency, which pursues you until you pay. The constant pestering will annoy you, so you should act immediately after receiving the first letter.
Is the British Gas Debt Collection Agency A Scam?
No, the debt collection agency is real, and it serves the interest of British Gas, one of the oldest utility firms in the world.
What if I'm Struggling to Pay My British Gas Debt?
Once you realize that you cannot pay your bills, you may contact the gas company immediately to draw a payment schedule that works for you. Failure to do so puts you at risk of disconnection or being sued (in extreme circumstances).
Here’s how you can reach the company for any inquiries, disputes, or appeals:
|British Gas Company Contact Information|
|Phone Number||0333 202 9804|
|Registered Address||Millstream, Maidenhead Road
Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 5GD
|Company Details||British Gas Services Limited,
registered in England and Wales No. 03141243
VAT No. GB 684 9667 62
However, sometimes you don't have any money, and you know a payment plan will not work. In such circumstances, you contact a law firm like DoNotPay, to help you have the debt written off.
What Do I Do When the British Gas Debt Collection Agency Contacts Me?
Before they contact you, you will have a couple of emails from the parent company asking you to pay your debt and forward you to the debt collector. Email them back or call as soon as you get the first email, especially if you're sure you don't owe them any money.
If they don't correct the situation, report them immediately to any of these conflict resolution firms:
|Energy Ombudsman||0330 440 1624|
|Ofgem complaints||020 7901 7295|
|Citizens Advice||0808 223 1133|
|Money Advice Service (Money Helper)||0800 138 7777|
If the issue is already forwarded to the debt collector, you have a right to confront the bureau to prove that you indeed owe them.
Here's what to do:
- Check the details on the bill and make sure it's yours. Sometimes, they send them to the wrong addresses.
- Write/email them back immediately and ask them to prove the debt. The agency should send you a detailed account of how you accrued the debt.
- Know your rights:
- If the debt is older than 5 or 6 years, you're exempted from paying it as long as you did not attempt to clear the bill within the 5 years.
- If the cannot provide detailed proof of debt (in writing), they must cancel the bill.
- If you could not afford the high energy costs and tried all kinds of interventions, including seeking the British Gas Energy Support Fund, you can ask for debt cancellation.
- Refrain from signing the letters you send to the collector, and instead print your name.
- Once the company proves, you owe them, clear the debt at once or contact them for a flexible payment plan of up to 60 months.
How Do I Write Off My Debt With DoNotPay?
Thousands of people like you contact debt mediators like Ofgem, Citizens Advice, and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) every day, so you have to wait your turn. Unfortunately, the long wait will hurt your credit score, and you don't want that.
DoNotPay excels in contacting the debt collector on your behalf and resolving your issue in record time to safeguard your credit score and save you from emotional turmoil. All you need to do is:
- Search "debt collection" on DoNotPay.
- Answer a series of questions about the debt collectors, including when you were contacted and how you were contacted, so we can determine if they have violated any debt collection laws.
- Decide which course of action you want to take based on our guidance, such as filing a debt verification request, demanding for the collectors to stop contacting you, or reporting them to a professional trade association.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
Let DoNotPay :
- Help you get a refund from Amigo and Provident.
- Stop Marston bailiffs from harassing you.
- Resolve your pension issues at DWP.
We Are Here for You
DoNotPay helps people like you get their British Gas debt written off, for we know you don't accrue debt intentionally. and let's help you, too.