How to Find the Best Online Schools for High School Students
High school is a teenager's last big step before heading off to college. Some students thrive in cyber schools far better than a traditional high school. With so many virtual programs to consider, how do you find the best online schools for high school?
It often takes hours just to comb through various schools and rank a few promising picks. If you have a special needs child, the process can take even longer. Never rush yourself into such an important decision: let DoNotPay help.
The Best Online Schools for High School Students in the U.S.
Researching through numerous pages of online schools to find the best one can be challenging. We've put together a general guide of the top online high schools in the U.S. to help your search:
|School||Location||Cost||Student to Teacher Ratio||Testing
|Stanford University Online High School||Redwood City, CA||$26,570||14:1||1480 on SAT
33 on ACT
|16 AP courses, including post-AP and university-level offerings|
|George Washington University Online High School||Ashburn, VA||$12,000||13:1||1300 on SAT 32 on ACT||Instruction in five available languages and multiple AP courses|
|Laurel Springs School||West Chester, PA||$14,000||N/A||1180 on SAT 24.6 on ACT||65 world language courses, more than 30 extracurricular clubs, and 233 college prep courses|
|King of Prussia, PA||Free||18:1||1140 on SAT 25 on ACT||Students can choose their own classes, a live class or self-study regimen, and attend field trips|
|Broward Virtual School||Coconut Creek, FL||Free||19:1||1180 on SAT 25 on ACT||Many extracurricular activities and an advanced learners program for gifted children|
|iUniversity Prep||Grapevine, TX||Free||36:1||1230 on SAT 28 on ACT||Individualized learning programs with a great mixture of both pre-AP and AP courses|
|University of Nebraska High School||Lincoln, NE||Free||9:1||1230 on SAT 26 on ACT||Flexible enrollment and course schedules, plus college prep courses|
|The Davidson Academy||Reno, NV||$15,000||4:1||1510 on SAT 34 on ACT||Tailored for gifted students and offers individualized learning plans|
How to Find Good Online Schools for High School By Yourself
If you want to try and find a good online high school through your own research, expect to follow these steps:
- Read about the school online.
- Call the school to request more information. You can also request a brochure.
- Visit the school's physical location (if applicable).
- Work with your child to explore which courses would be best for them.
What to Look For In Online Schools
While online schools might seem more laid-back than traditional schools, the learning programs can still be very rigorous. Of course, some students can also have trouble switching to online classes and subsequently fall behind.
Typically, you want to find an online school with:
- Good technological infrastructure and support
- Quality curriculums
- Positive testimonials
- Opportunities for social interaction with classmates
- Licensed teachers, preferably with years of experience and higher learning degrees
What to Look For in High Schools Online
When it comes to high schools in particular, you need to look for:
- College prep courses
- Custom and flexible learning schedules
- Tutoring and counseling services
- Easy credit transfers
It can be hard to find an online school that ticks every one of your child's educational must-haves. Between raising their kids and often working full-time jobs, parents don't have a lot of time for diligent research. DoNotPay is here to do the hard work for you.
DoNotPay Can Easily Find the Best Online Schools for High School
DoNotPay takes all the stress out of finding the perfect online high school. You don't need to do any research beforehand, giving you more time to actually prepare your child for the upcoming academic year.
If you want to find the best online schools in your area but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 4 easy steps:
- Go to the Best Schools Search product on DoNotPay.
- Let us guide you through the different priorities you can filter by, including whether you're looking for a private school vs. public school, your ideal student to teacher ratio, and what grade level you are looking for.
- Tell us how you want us to rank the results (by what's most important to you!) Some examples include, best schools overall, most diverse, best teachers, etc.
- Enter the search area you want to search in for. The wider the area, the more schools we can match you with.
Why Use DoNotPay
DoNotPay can find the perfect school (online or otherwise) for you or your child. We also locate the best schools for gifted children, troubled youth or kids with learning disabilities, including autism.
Our School Search Tool always:
- Finds the best results quickly
- Simplifies the school selection process
- Shows you only the most relevant results based on your unique criteria
DoNotPay Makes Any Decision Easier
So sign up today!