Successfully Apply for a Baltimore City Building Permit With DoNotPay
Applying for a can be a frustrating experience, particularly if you don't know all the steps and regulations involved. You'll have to deal with multiple city offices, extended phone hold times, and archaic paper form applications.
As life returns to normal after months of restrictions, more people are looking to renovate, repair or build new structures, resulting in you spending more time and resources getting the permit.
Due to these complications, many people avoid getting building permits altogether and just risk working on their projects without one, even though it is illegal. This is where DoNotPay comes in.
Reasons to Get a Building Permit in Baltimore
The City of Baltimore Building Codes mandates anyone with building plans to obtain a building permit to ensure public and property safety and compliance.
You are required to obtain a building permit if you are planning to:
- Construct, enlarge, alter, repair, rehabilitate, demolish or move any structure.
- Erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system.
- Change the occupancy or use of any structure or land.
- Perform any grading or excavating.
In summary, all significant alterations or replacements, renovations, modifications, and reconstructions require a building permit. For instance, obtain a permit if the project is:
- Placing boards on a property for security reasons
- Adding or upgrading electrical outlets or voltage
- Adding a gas stove
- Building rooftop or rear decks
- Building a swimming pool
- Changing a building's use or occupancy
- Building or altering a chimney
- Demolishing a structure
- Erecting a fence
- Erecting or hanging signs
- Installing a furnace or HVAC system
- Installing a lawn irrigation system
- Moving a building…to name a few
If you aren't sure whether your building projects require a permit, don't hesitate to contact the city's housing office to make inquiries.
Now, you might be wondering why you need a when you can erect your structure, no harm, no foul.
Well, here's why:
- Avoid hefty fines and penalties, as the law requires you to obtain a permit before you commence building.
- Ensure public health and safety. The law permits an unqualified or unlicensed person to build or obtain a building permit.
- Ensure compliance as the city inspector will ensure the work is done according to the city's building codes.
- Protect the value of your structure by maintaining proof of compliance.
How to Get a Building Permit in Baltimore
According to the law, you are required to obtain a building permit before you commence any work.
The various ways of obtaining a permit in Baltimore include:
|In-Person||You can visit:
Baltimore Housing's state-of-the-art One Stop Shop
417 E. Fayette Street, Room 100; Baltimore, MD 21202
Monday to Friday
|Online||The city of Baltimore has an online e-Permit portal where you can apply for your building permit.|
Either way, the law requires you to carry/attach copies of:
- Permit application (for in-person applications. Download the application forms online).
- Contractor's license number.
- A detailed description of the work to be performed, including sketches if necessary.
- For major alterations, new construction or additions plans are drawn to scale as well as a site plan if necessary indicating the existing structures, proposed work, and property lines.
- Method of payment (check, money order, or cash).
Both methods have a few challenges; they are time-consuming, tech-reliant, health risk, especially in-person applications, tedious, and the list goes on. If you decide to DIY the permit application process, you are ready to do more groundwork before the real work begins.
But why should you experience such challenges when DoNotPay provides you with a faster, more convenient, automated, less frustrating way of obtaining your permit?
What Fees Are Associated With Getting a Baltimore City Building Permit?
Sec 109 of the Building, Fire, and Related Codes of Baltimore City contains a long list of the fees associated with the various works requiring a building permit.
In addition to these fees, a non-refundable $25 application fee applies to all building permits.
If you need more clarification, you can go through the hassle of consulting the city's housing office or let DoNotPay handle the whole process for you and have your building permit in a jiff so you can begin construction ASAP!
How to Apply for a Building Permit Hassle-Free in Baltimore Using DoNotPay
There is little guarantee of success when you decide to DIY the application process.
If you want to apply for a building permit fast without a hassle in Baltimore but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered. Create your own cancellation letter in six easy steps:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
Why Use DoNotPay to Apply for a Baltimore City Building Permit
It's evident the hassle you risk experiencing by applying for the building permit yourself. But if you let DoNotPay handle the process, you will enjoy:
Get steps closer to building your structure
- An easy and convenient application process
- Super-fast and guaranteed results
- 100% compliance as per the law
- Save time and resources
- By-pass any red tape and bureaucracies by following the exact steps
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay is an ultra-modern tool with multiple capabilities. It can do more than help you apply for a Baltimore City Building Permit, including:
- Help with various standardized legal documents
- Notarize various documents
- Help you reduce property taxes
- Fight insurance claims on your behalf
Connect to numerous businesses with the click of a button.
Don't let any complicated processes hinder you from building any structure you wish. Let DoNotPay help you apply for a Baltimore City Building Permit so you can focus on the important part of your project.