Can You Get Compensated for an Avista Power Outage?
We rely on electricity to run our businesses/homes and keep us safe. What happens when Idaho and Washington residents face an and lose business revenue, miss deadlines, suffer property damage, or even experience a personal injury? You can request a refund, credit, or even a cash payout if you incur damages during the blackout, either alone or with the help of a third-party advocate like DoNotPay.
Here's what you need to know to be successful when you ask for compensation.
Get Compensated for an Avista Power Outage: The DIY Way
If you're building a case on your behalf, it's important to document every detail you can that shows you are entitled to compensation. This can be a tedious job, but it shows you're serious about your claim, and your losses were not insignificant. (If all this seems a bit too much, you can skip this section and learn about DoNotPay's easy online claims process).
The "Evidence" You'll Need to Build Your Case
- Record the date, times, and duration of the power outage.
- Go to AVISTA's outage map to see if the outage is "on their radar." There won't be much helpful information, other than the number of customers affected and the number of outages in the immediate area.
- Note whether you reported the outage and what time you made the report.
- Do an inventory of any items that were lost or damaged during the outage.
- Estimated lost sales or income
- Home and/or business electronics
- Medical electronics
- Interrupted internet service
- Any injuries incurred
- Refrigerated or frozen food and medication
- Any other damages or incurred costs
- Ask your medical provider for an itemized medical bill.
- Photograph all damages or injuries
- Make physical prints of your pictures if you plan to mail your compensation request.
- Rename digital files to include your first initial and last name for easier identification
Don't forget to include your service address, account number, and any names on the account. We recommend you enclose a photocopy of a recent Avista bill.
How to Get Compensation for an Outage on Your Own
Once you have all your information, gather printed copies and state your request in a cover letter.
|Call Customer Support||To ask who is in charge of claims, their direct phone line, and their mailing address, we recommend calling Customer Support at (800) 227-9187 for residential customers and (800) 936-6629 for business customers.|
|If customer support is unable to help you, mail your claim with delivery confirmation to:
Customer Service, MSC-34
P.O. Box 3727
Spokane, WA 99220-3727
If you got a direct line for the person in charge of claims, be sure to follow up in one week.
How to Get Compensation for an Avista Power Outage Using DoNotPay
If you want to get compensation for an outage but you're not confident you can manage the job on your own, DoNotPay has you covered in 9 easy steps:
- Go to the Outage Refunds product on DoNotPay.
- Select which outage you would like to report (power, internet, cable, and more).
- Select your energy provider and enter your account number.
- Indicate when the outage started and how long it lasted.
- Verify your account information.
- If you want to be reimbursed for losses related to a power outage, choose whether you want to be reimbursed for personal injuries, damaged property, or both.
- Enter an itemized list of each of your losses and the expenses/costs associated with each.
- Upload documents or photographic evidence that proves your losses. Also, add the names of any witnesses who can attest to your losses if possible.
- Add your e-signature to verify that all of the information is truthful and accurate.
Does DoNotPay Help With Other Types of Outages?
Yes! We'll help you file a claim with any power or internet service provider across the United States, including these:
What Else DoNotPay Can Do For You
DoNotPay got its start fighting parking tickets for its members. Now, we offer hundreds of services that save time and money and make our members' lives easier, including:
- Robocall compensation
- Jump the phone queue for any company
- Neighbor complaints
- Get help with bills
- File insurance claims
- File a customer complaint
- Appeal parking tickets in any city
Why Should You Use DoNotPay?
You should rely on us because we're…
- Fast—You don't have to spend your valuable time sitting on hold, making photocopies, or going to the post office.
- Easy—Our nine-step process will wrap up your claim in just a few minutes, with minimal hassle.
- Successful—We'll send Avista a professional letter requesting compensation on your behalf, likely with far better results.
Give us a trial run by letting us file your Avista power outage claim today. We promise you'll love what we can do for you!