How to Apply for Arlington County Building Permits
Whether building a new home, adding a room to your current home, adding a retaining wall, or wanting to clear out an old building that involves asbestos removal, you need an . While getting one has always been somewhat complicated, it has only become more so since the onset of COVID-19.
The Arlington County Permit Office may still be closed for in-person customer service. To file for a permit, you must do so online or on paper depending upon the type of permit. For those without an architecture or construction background, obtaining a permit and properly filing it is confusing. Not being able to deal with someone in person may make doing so even more daunting.
Don't fret. There is an easier way using DoNotPay!
When Do You Need a Building Permit in Arlington County?
This question may be easier to answer by asking why you don't need a building permit. Some of the numerous reasons you need a building permit in Arlington County include:
- Asbestos removal permit
- Use permit/variance application
- Evacuation right of way
- Family/caregiver suite permit
- Moving van/container permit
- Rezoning application
- Sign permit
- Mechanical permit
- Electrical permit
- Plumbing/gas permit
And there is a whole host of others. You can find the long list on the county's Permit Office website. To file for some types of building permits you need to visit the page Permit Arlington. For others, you need to visit the ePlan Review page, and for each, you will need to register for an account to use it.
How to Obtain an Arlington County Building Permit on Your Own
Since the office is closed for in-person services, to file for any type of permit you should look for information online. Determine which type of permit you need and follow the multistep process. The county offers online submission guidelines including:
- The support document requirements include maximum file size and type, layout page sizing, and revision guidelines.
- The plan set document includes its file size, page sizing, layout orientation, plan sheet layout, vector plan requirements, and pdf file requirements.
- The recommended naming conventions include the discipline codes and sheet number series descriptors.
- Requirements for the registered design professional electronic seal.
- And the best practices for acceptance and efficient review of the plans and drawings.
You know what? There really is a much easier way!
Choose the Hassle-Free Way of Filing for an Arlington, Virginia Building Permit
Using DoNotPay is quick and easy. File for an Arlington County, Virginia building permit in 6 easy steps:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
How Much Are Arlington County Building Permit Fees?
The fees involved differ from one instance to another. Arlington County offers fee schedules for inspections services, its zoning division, and the Department of Environmental Services on its website. But it is best to wait until after your application is submitted and reviewed at which time you will receive the total amount due and instructions to pay.
Currently, the only way to pay when you file a building permit yourself is online through an eCheck or by credit card with an added 2.5% fee. Again, there is no in-person service nor does the department accept payments through the mail.
With DoNotPay you don't have to worry about all that. It will automatically pay the necessary fees to speed up your permit process.
Why Use DoNotPay to File for a Building Permit?
There are three simple reasons:
|It's Fast||You don't have to spend hours deciphering the planning department lingo and locating the correct portal to apply for your permit.|
|It's Easy||You don't have to reformat your work to come up with the correct page sizing and landscape format.|
|You Will Be Successful||When using DoNotPay, you know the app will present your building permit request in the best manner possible.|
Use DoNotPay to File for a Building Permit Just About Anywhere
DoNotPay's app does not only work for Arlington County, or other Virginia counties and cities. If you need a building permit in Los Angeles or Chicago, Palm Beach County, or Sarasota County, Florida, we've got you covered almost everywhere in the nation.
Other Ways DoNotPay Can Simplify Your Life
Filing a building permit is far from the only thing you can easily take care of with DoNotPay. No, it can't babysit the kids, but it can:
- See if you qualify for a reduction in your property taxes
- Standardize your legal documents
- Get your dog licensed
- File an insurance claim
- Have a document notarized
- File a suit in small claims court
- Get you an appointment at the DMV
When you need to get something done and don't want to waste time scouring the internet for a solution, simply log-in to DoNotPay and ask it to take care of the problem. You might be surprised to learn how much it can do for you.