How to Get an Annulment in Washington State

Annul My Marriage How to Get an Annulment in Washington State

How to Get a Marriage Annulment in Washington State

Marriage is a big and important step for everyone. Sometimes, though, we make a mistake when we first get married, either in when we marry, in whom we marry, or even in how we go about the marriage ceremony. If you made a mistake in your marriage and want an annulment in Washington state, there are a few things you need to know.

Obtaining an annulment can be quite a challenge. You will have to prove some very specific conditions to obtain an annulment rather than having to file for a divorce. If you're interested in an easier solution, though, DoNotPay may be able to help. Let's look at what annulment looks like in Washington state, how much it costs, and why you may need support.

What Is an Annulment in Washington State?

There is no such thing as an annulment under the law in Washington state. Rather, the action you would take to annul your marriage is called a "Declaration Concerning Validity." In Washington, you can request that the court invalidate your marriage. However, you cannot request an annulment as such an action is not available under Washington's law.

If the court decides to invalidate your marriage, you are free from that marriage. Basically, under the law, the marriage never occurred. However, you are still responsible for any children born during the marriage, and you may receive judgments from the court concerning child support, alimony, property division, or similar items.

If you want to know more about Washington Law, you can contact them here:

Washington Family LawContact Portal
Phone Number(844) 923-2645
FacebookFacebook Page
TwitterTwitter Account

What Are the Grounds for Getting an Annulment in Washington State?

If you would like to see your marriage invalidated, you must provide evidence that one of the following situations was true in your marriage:

  • You are close relatives who are not allowed to marry under the law.
  • One or both spouses was not legally old enough to marry AND did not have permission from the court or a parent. This provision also requires that you and your spouse did not cohabit when you were old enough to legally marry.
  • One or both spouses was legally married to or a registered domestic partner of another person at the time of the marriage.
  • One or both spouses was unable to understand and appropriately consent to the marriage because of alcohol, drugs, or some other mental incapacity. This provision also requires that you and your spouse did not cohabit when you did understand the marriage had taken place.
  • One spouse married because of force or fraud but did not willingly cohabit with the spouse after the force stopped or the fraud was discovered.
  • The marriage was not legally obtained in Washington and was unlawful in the state in which it took place.

If you can prove any of these provisions, the court is likely to rule in your favor and allow you to invalidate your marriage under Washington law.

How Do I Get a Marriage Annulment in Washington State?

If you are interested in a court-ordered invalidation of your marriage in Washington state, there are a few steps to take.

1. Find a lawyer

To obtain legal invalidation, you will probably need to speak with a lawyer. Getting the right paperwork and sending it to the right place can be a challenge. A lawyer can help you figure out what proof you need, what forms to fill out, and how to file them.

2. Fill Out the form

After you've spoken with a legal expert, you will need to fill out a form requesting marriage invalidation. This form will ask you to provide such information as:

  1. Your names and residences.
  2. The date and registration of your marriage, as well as if you're still living together.
  3. The reason for your request.
  4. Whether you want a divorce or legal separation if the marriage is deemed ineligible for invalidation.
  5. Whether the court has legal jurisdiction over you and your spouse.
  6. If you or your spouse is pregnant and/or whether you have children together.
  7. Whether the court has legal jurisdiction over the children.
  8. A parenting plan and child support plan for taking care of your children after the invalidation.
  9. What property you and your spouse share and how you would like it divided.
  10. Any debts you and your spouse share.
  11. A plan for spousal support if necessary.
  12. Whether you would like a Protection Order or Restraining Order.
  13. Whether you need a name change.
  14. Signatures of the petitioner and, if agreeable, the respondent.

3. File the Form

After completing the form, you will need to send it to the appropriate court in your county. A lawyer can help you find the right court, or you can look it up on Washington's Legal Help website.

What Happens After a Marriage Annulment in Washington State?

Once you have filed for invalidation, the court will render a decision. The court will likely also approve or disapprove your parenting plan and provide guidance if there is a need for you or your spouse to provide alimony. If the invalidation request is not granted, you will have to either petition the court or file for a divorce instead.

How to Annul Your Marriage With Help From DoNotPay

Finding legal advice, filing for invalidation, providing the right proof, and sending your paperwork to the right court can all be challenging tasks. If you don't have the time to perform these tasks and are concerned that you won't know how to go about them, you can find help from a legal service such as DoNotPay. DoNotPay can file for an annulment for you with a few easy steps:

  1. Search for Annulment on the DoNotPay website. 
  2. Kick-off the process to see if your marriage is eligible for an annulment. 
  3. Answer some specific questions about your marriage and see if your state law allows for an annulment.

DoNotPay can then send a letter to your local family court or provide you with a helpful handout in case you're not yet sure whether you want to file for invalidation. It's that simple!

What Else DoNotPay Can Do

In addition to supporting you through an annulment, DoNotPay can help you perform a wide variety of other tasks to save time, stress, and money. For example, DoNotPay can help you:

If you'd like to see all that DoNotPay can do to help you, sign up for an account today!

Want your issue solved now?