The Easiest Way to File an Annulment in Delaware

Annul My Marriage The Easiest Way to File an Annulment in Delaware

Everything You Need to Know About Getting an Annulment in Delaware

Are you confused about the difference between an annulment and a divorceWere you married in Delaware and curious about the local laws regarding getting an annulment in Delaware

If so, look no further than this complete guide to annulment, where you'll learn everything you need to know about how to get an annulment in The First State on your own. Then, you'll learn how you can use DoNotPay to end your marriage successfully. 

Do I Have Grounds for Petitioning for an Annulment in Delaware? 

You may have grounds for petitioning for an annulment in Delaware if:

  • One spouse was seriously mentally impaired at the time of the marriage
  • One spouse hid the inability to consummate the marriage from the other
  • One spouse was not a legal adult and did not get appropriate consent

Keep in mind, the above list is by no means comprehensive; rather, the above denotes the three most common grounds for getting a Delaware annulment. Also, note that consent for a minor to get married in the state of Delaware must be granted by:

  1. The minor's parent
  2. The minor's legal guardian
  3. An appointed Delaware judge

How to Get an Annulment in Delaware

To get an annulment in Delaware, you first need to go to your local family court and file a petition for annulment. Then, you must wait 20 days or until your spouse responds to the petition.

It is possible to get an annulment without the other person; in fact, the process will be faster if they don't respond. The process will also go quickly if your spouse responds and agrees to the annulment. If they contest the grounds of the annulment, you will have to prove your claims in court to get your annulment.

The table below explains where you should go for an annulment in some populous counties of DE.

Kent CountyIf you are in Kent County and considering an annulment, you will need to go to 400 Court Street Dover, DE 19901.
New Castle CountyIf you are in New Castle County and considering an annulment, you will need to go to 500 N. King Street Wilmington, DE 19801.
Sussex CountyIf you are in Sussex County, you will need to go to 22 The Circle Georgetown, DE 19947.

Do I Qualify to Get an Annulment in Delaware? 

Are you worried about annulment qualifications in Delaware?  If so, you're not alone. One of the most commonly asked questions is ”Do I qualify for a marriage annulment in Delaware?”

Here's the lowdown on who qualifies for an annulment in Delaware:

  • A couple who has lived in Delaware for no fewer than 180 days preceding the petition for annulment (this applies to marriages and civil unions)
  • A couple with at least one member who has been stationed in Delaware on military orders for at least 180 days prior to the petition for annulment (this applies to marriages and civil unions)
  • A couple who lives in a state that does not allow for the dissolution of the civil union that was duly performed in Delaware

How Much Does a Delaware Annulment Cost? 

Are you worried about how much an annulment costs in Delaware? If so, you will be pleased to know that filing for an annulment costs far less than filing for a divorce. Specifically, you will be charged $165 if you are filing for divorce, but you will only be charged $90 if you are filing for an annulment in Delaware.

Once the process is complete, you can get a certified copy of your annulment for $4. That said, if you don't need a certified copy of your annulment, you can get a non-certified copy for only a dollar. Also, you should be aware that an additional fee may be assessed if your records are archived at the time of your request. 

Do I Need to Pay for a Copy of the Annulment in DE?

Yes. If you request a copy of your annulment by mail (send to the Family Court Records Department in your county of residence), you can pay by money order or check. If you request a copy of your annulment in person, you may pay with cash, a check, money order, or credit card.

Be advised, if you request a copy of your annulment by mail, in addition to your payment, you must include your:

  • Full legal name as recognized by the Social Security Administration
  • Date of birth
  • Notarized signature

Also, you should keep in mind that per Delaware Code Title 29, §4312, a notary may charge no more than $5.00. With that being said, if you are a current armed forces member or veteran, you shouldn't have a problem finding a notary that will waive their fee to thank you for your service.

Use DoNotPay to Instantly Handle Your Annulment in Delaware

Are you having trouble figuring out how to get an annulment in Delaware? If so, we're here to help. You can use DoNotPay to petition your local family court for an annulment if your marriage was never legally valid. The best part is that this can be accomplished in just three quick and easy steps from the comfort of your own home.

  1. Search for Annulment on the DoNotPay website.


  2. Kick off the process to see if your marriage is eligible for an annulment.


  3. Answer some specific questions about your marriage and see if your state law allows for an annulment.


You might be surprised to learn just how easy it is to go through the steps that they have set up for you here. They just know that this process is a stressful one for everyone involved, and they want to take some of that burden off of your shoulders. If they can do so by creating something simple for you to follow, then that is exactly what they will do.

DoNotPay Helps In Many Other Ways

DoNotPay has crafted a number of other programs that you can use in your life to bring about greater results in terms of how much you are able to get done in your day. Here are a few of those products:

You will find that they continue to add more and more items to the list as time goes on. They know that many people need help with some of life's tasks, and they are willing to do what is necessary to help them out. If you don't see what you are looking for, get in touch with DoNotPay and see if they can create something specifically to help you out. There is a good chance that they can.

Want your issue solved now?