Easily Get an Annulment in California Without a Lawyer
Marriage annulment in California means a marriage never occurred. The reason this is determined in this way is that it should not have occurred in the first place. The marriage was not legal and, therefore, never valid.
Reasons for an Annulment in California
Some marriages are never valid in California. A marriage between parties who are too closely related, an incestuous relationship, is not valid. A bigamous marriage is also invalid when one or both parties are married to others at the time of the marriage. Annulments can be applied for in several circumstances in California, including
- Underage 18 at the time of the marriage.
- Prior existing marriage with other parties (other than bigamy), such as a missing spouse who was thought to be deceased but was not.
- Unsound mind.
- Fraudulent marriage.
- Forced marriage.
- Physical incapacity.
Each of the reasons above may have complex situations attached to them and should be reviewed thoroughly before assuming an annulment is the way to go. DoNotPay provides more detailed explanations for any applicable reason based on your specific circumstances.
What Is the Time Limit to Apply to Have a Marriage Annulled in California?
An annulment can be filed at any time, but there is a time limit to apply depending on the reason for the annulment.
|Underage 18 at the time of marriage.||The person who was a minor at the time of marriage has four years after turning 18 to file for an annulment. Their parents may file at any time until the minor turns of age.|
|Prior existing marriage.||If either party was still married to another, the other spouse might file for either party in the marriage as long as both parties are still alive.|
|Mentally unsound.||If one party is determined to be of unsound mind, the other party or a conservator may apply for annulment at any time as long as both parties in the marriage are still alive.|
|Fraudulent marriage.||A person who was deceived by marriage has four years from the discovery of the fraud to apply for an annulment of the marriage.|
|Marriage by force.||If one party claims to have been forced to marry, they have four years from the date of marriage to file for annulment.|
|Physically incapacitated.||One party may file for an annulment within four years of the marriage if their partner becomes physically incapacitated.|
Applicants for annulment must pay close attention to time limits for application because they vary greatly depending on the reason.
There Are Consequences to Be Considered When Getting an Annulment in California
- Children of an annulled marriage - when a marriage is annulled, the paternity of the children does not exist and must be established. Parents may need to ask a court to assist with paternity determination as well as establish support, visitation, and custody arrangements.
- Division of property - Community property laws for marriage in California will no longer apply. Division of property and/or debt will need to be determined without the same rights that the parties would have in divorce. An exception could be asserted if one or both of the parties can prove that they married in good faith, unaware of invalidating circumstances of the marriage.
The rights of a putative spouse could be at play and can complicate attempts of the parties to move on. DoNotPay provides information about these circumstances as part of the process.
Get Your Marriage Annulled Instantly With the Help of DoNotPay
When you are ready to apply for an annulment in California or in any state, you will have all the tools you need. It can be a difficult decision to make. DoNotPay wants to make sure you are prepared for the decision as well as for making the actual application.
A letter will be created for you by DoNotPay for Family Court once you are ready to apply for an annulment. You will also be provided adequate information about annulments in California to make sure you are fully informed about your decision.
DoNotPay is the perfect solution to preparing for an annulment. It can be frustrating to make this important decision on your own. DoNotPay makes the entire process as easy as possible.
It only takes three steps using the DoNotPay method:
- Search for Annulment on the DoNotPay website.
- Kick-off the process to see if your marriage is eligible for an annulment.
- Answer some specific questions about your marriage and see if your state law allows for an annulment.
DoNotPay makes it as easy as possible to get prepared to apply for an annulment.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do For You?
DoNotPay helps with many issues that come up for many people. We can help with these as well as many others.
- We have links for you to get you a fishing license online in any state.
- Snapchat is more than talk. There is money to be made on the Snapchat app.
- Make sure you have a tourist visa for your overseas trip.
- Pay for your parking tickets or appeal them here.
- Find out if you are eligible for property tax waivers or abatements.
Check out these links and search our easy-to-use app for other issues we can resolve for you.