The Basics of an Annulment of Marriage in Alaska

Annul My Marriage The Basics of an Annulment of Marriage in Alaska

How to Get a Marriage Annulment in Alaska

A marriage can be annulled for a variety of reasons, such as being underage, intoxicated, or mentally incapacitated. This could mean your marriage was legally void from the start. Instead of getting a divorce, it's possible to have the marriage annulled in cases like those mentioned here. So, how do you get your marriage annulled in Alaska?

The process of getting an annulment can be frustrating, as the laws are typically different in every state. However, DoNotPay is there to happily guide you through the entire process. DoNotPay can write a letter to the local family court or give you an information sheet on annulment in Alaska, or any other state.

What is an Annulment in Alaska?

In the state of Alaska, there isn't an official court action known as an annulment. However, you can have your marriage claimed legally void by a judge, which is basically the same thing. This also means the marriage was never legally binding in the first place. 

There's only a slight difference between an annulment and a legally void marriage. In both cases, you are no longer married to the other person.

  • An annulment is when a marriage has "legal nullity", and it's like the marriage never existed if a judge grants the annulment.
  • A void marriage in Alaska never had a legal foundation in the first place.
  • It has no legal effect whether you went to court or not. 

Grounds for a Void Marriage in Alaska

Alaska only has seven situations in which you can have a marriage voided. If you've voluntarily lived with your spouse, you'll have to go through a divorce instead of declaring the marriage legally void.

You can void marriage in Alaska if:

  • Your spouse was already married to another person
  • You are more closely related than third cousins
  • You were forced or coerced into the marriage
  • You or your spouse was severely mentally ill
  • You were underage when you got married and didn't obtain consent from your legal guardians
  • Your spouse committed fraud to receive consent
  • You and your spouse have not consummated the marriage

How to Get Your Marriage Voided in Alaska

Getting a marriage voided may not be as hard as it is in other states, but Alaska does not have any official forms for a person to fill out to void a marriage. You'll likely want to hire an attorney to draft forms on your behalf. If you ask a judge to void your marriage, your spouse does have the legal right to fight you in court to have the marriage declared valid. You also must be a resident of Alaska to void your marriage. 

To get your marriage voided in Alaska:

  1. Hire an attorney. You'll need one to draft the paperwork for you since there aren't any official forms for a voided marriage. It's also a good idea to do this in case your spouse wants to fight you in court.
  2. If you're facing custodial/child support issues due to the voided marriage, you'll want to get it figured out with your spouse before going through with filing for a voided marriage. Assets are only divided in court when a couple goes through a divorce.
  3. If your spouse decides to fight the void in court, you'll need to build a case with your attorney/lawyer.
  4. Finally, ask the judge to void your marriage. The judge will either rule in your favor or the favor of your spouse, depending on the circumstances.

What Happens After Your Marriage is Voided in Alaska

After a marriage is declared void in Alaska, it just means you and your spouse go your separate ways. Assets are not divided up, and the marriage never had a legal foundation. Child support and custody may be discussed in court, as long as it's brought up to your attorney. You will likely have to prove your spouse is the parent of your child, but this can be done easily through a DNA test. 

Get Your Marriage Voided in Alaska with the Help of DoNotPay

Because Alaska has different laws regarding annulment, it can be pretty confusing to try and get your marriage voided. However, DoNotPay can still offer you help. Whether it's by writing a letter to your local family court or providing you with information on what to do, DoNotPay is there for you through the entire process.

It only takes 3 steps:

  1. Search for Annulment on the DoNotPay website.


  2. Kick off the process to see if your marriage is eligible for an annulment.


  3. Answer some specific questions about your marriage and see if your state law allows for an annulment.


And that's it. Depending on what you want to do, DoNotPay will contact a family court on your behalf, or provide you with helpful information on the next steps. 

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

Almost anything. DoNotPay has many services to offer, and it's not just regarding marriage. DoNotPay can help with:

Whatever life throws your way, DoNotPay is there to save the day.

Want your issue solved now?