Learn About Your Local Animal Control at Columbia, SC
Protecting animals and yourself is an important part of being in a community. If you're a resident of Columbia in South Carolina, that's what your local animal control office is for. Learn more about animal control in Columbia, SC, and what to do about problems with animals, plus what DoNotPay can do for you if you're having issues.
About Columbia, SC Animal Control
The animal control services for the City of Columbia can do a lot for its residents. Some of its featured services include:
- Picking up stray animals.
- Responding to calls of animal abuse.
- Helping rehome animals.
- Working with people to keep possession of animals.
Columbia, SC Animal Control Location, Hours, and Contact Details
|Address||127 Humane Lane
Columbia, South Carolina 29209
|Office Telephone:||(803) 776-PETS (7387)|
|Website||City of Columbia's animal control|
|Hours of Operation||Monday to Friday||8:30 AM to 5:00 PM|
Columbia, SC Dog Bite Laws
As part of South Carolina, Columbia follows all applicable state laws with regards to dog or animal bites. Some of the things you should know about this include:
Who Is Liable if a Dog Bites Someone?
Columbia is part of South Carolina and follows its statute on dog bites: Section 47-3-110. This means that the owner of a dog is liable if they bite someone, under the conditions that the person bit was in a public place or occupying the dog owner's private property lawfully. In the hypothetical situation where a burglar breaks into your home and a dog defends you, the burglar can't sue you if they were bitten while illegally occupying your property. Additionally, a dog's owner is not liable for a bite if the person bitten did something to provoke the animal into biting them.
What to Do if You’re Bitten by a Dog
If you've been bitten by a dog, the first thing to do would be to tend to your injuries. Once you're in stable condition, it's a good idea to call animal control at (803) 776-7387.
Can You Sue Someone for Dog Bites?
In most cases, you can sue the dog's owner if their dog bites you. Like we mentioned, though, you don't have grounds for a case if you've provoked the dog into biting you somehow. You should also be aware of the "scienter" liability laws: (Giles v. Russell, 225 S. Ct. 513, 180 S.E. (2d) 201 (1971). Also see McQuaig v. Brown, 270 S.C. 512, 242 S.E. (2d) 688 (1978) and Conoley v. Riel, 279 S.C. 521, 309 S.E. (2d) 291 (1983).) This states that dog owners that should reasonably expect violent or aggressive behavior from their animals have a special duty to contain them to prevent someone from being bitten.
It would strengthen your case if you have reason to believe the dog that attacked you is of a breed labeled as aggressive or has bitten someone in the past. If someone has been bitten after all of that, it would mean the owner has been particularly negligent in their duties to the animal and other people.
How to Sue for a Dog Bite in Columbia, SC on Your Own
If you've been bitten or attacked by a dog, you may wish to hire a lawyer and sue the owner. If you've never done this before, there can be a lot you don't know about the process, not to mention the time it takes to do it right. This is one reason why DoNotPay is a good alternative to doing it yourself, since using our Sue Now product can help file your claim in minutes with a lot less hassle. If you want to do it on your own, though, here's what you can do:
- Contact animal control to let them know a dangerous dog has bitten you.
- Get the dog owner's contact information.
- Get in touch with a local lawyer. If the firm you contact initially does not handle dog bite cases, they'll likely be able to recommend you to someone who can help.
- Explain the situation to your lawyer and say that you want to take action.
- Collect as much evidence as possible about the situation, including witness testimony and receipts for any expenses needed for your medical care or the like resulting from the incident.
- Decide what you want from your lawsuit. This could range from the reimbursement for your medical expenses or wages lost as a result of not being able to work during recovery, to compensation for pain, disfigurement, disability, or emotional damage.
- Sign off on the paperwork your attorney provides to allow them to file the case.
Reporting an Incident to the Columbia, SC Animal Control With DoNotPay
If you're having problems with animals and need to contact animal control in Columbia, SC, you can use DoNotPay to help. Just follow these three easy steps to get started:
- Search "animal" on DoNotPay, find the Animal Control product, and select whether you've sustained a physical injury.
- Select whether you would like to report this incident to your local government agency, or demand compensation from the pet owner.
- Tell us more about the incident, including when and where you were injured, a description of the animal that caused the injury, and the contact information for the pet owner (if known).
And that's it! DoNotPay will file the demand letter or government report on your behalf with your incident details. You should hear back from them directly with further questions/confirmation regarding your demands.
Why Use DoNotPay to Recover Your Gaming Account
The reason why DoNotPay has been successful with its continued service is due to to the fact that its:
- Fast—You don't have to spend hours trying to solve the issue
- Easy—You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in solving your problem
- Successful—You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you
DoNotPay Can Handle Animal Control in Multiple Places
DoNotPay can help you with animal control issues in more places than just Columbia, SC. We process claims in places like Los Angeles and the rest of California, Atlanta, Miami, Pennsylvania, Texas, Ohio, and everywhere else. It's a simple matter to get what you're owed when you use our service.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay has a lot of other services beyond just dog bite claims and animal control. You might be interested in some of our other products, including:
- Getting compensation for crimes
- Contacting your representatives
- Posting neighbor complaints
- Filing in small claims court
No matter what you might be troubled with, DoNotPay is here to help. Try the app today to start saving time.