How To Get the Alameda County Property Tax Senior Exemption

Do You Qualify for the Alameda County Property Tax Senior Exemption?

Blowing out the 65th candle on your birthday cake comes with certain benefits, especially if you live in Alameda County, CA.

If you have never heard of the Alameda County property tax senior exemption, it is time to and learn what exemptions you qualify for and how to lower your future tax bills.

California Property Tax Senior Exemption—School District Taxes

You can qualify for a homestead exemption for school district taxes if you are:

  • 65 or older
  • A disabled residence homestead owner

California citizens can get this $10,000 homestead exemption together with the $25,000 one that is available to all homeowners.

In this state, you are also entitled to school parcel tax exemption. These exemptions can lower your property tax bills by $100 or up to $1,000, depending on the district.

Lots of K-21 districts provide exemptions to senior citizens but do not publicize this fact or apply the exemptions automatically. That is why you should arm yourself with knowledge about property tax exemptions for seniors and methods that will help you pay only what you must.

If you would like to compare property taxes in California with other states, DoNotPay provides a list of states that have low property taxes.

How Do You Qualify for the School Parcel Property Tax Exemption?

To qualify for the school parcel property tax exemption, you must:

  • Be 65 or older
  • Live in the home that is your primary residence
  • Request, complete, and file an application

Your district should provide the application forms, and you will need to submit proof of:

  1. Age
  2. Residency
  3. Ownership

Some districts require eligible citizens to fill out a new application every year, but others do not. Check with your district whether they renew this exemption automatically.

Be careful not to miss the application deadline since most districts set a specific date. You might need to apply in May or June to receive an exemption for the tax year starting July 1.

Your district might be flexible and grant you an exemption retroactively if you miss the deadline.

Alameda County Property Tax Senior Exemption—Parcel Tax and Measures A and B1

Citizens of Alameda County need to pay the parcel tax whose purpose is to:

  • Retain good teachers
  • Protect core academic, arts, and athletic programs in Alameda County schools

Measures A and B1 of the parcel tax provide $12 million annually to Alameda Unified School District (AUSD).

Who Qualifies for Measure B1 and Measure A Parcel Tax Exemption?

You are eligible for an exemption if you:

  • Own and occupy a property as your primary residence
  • Are 65 and older
  • Receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits (SSDI) for a disability (regardless of age)

Property owners who receive SSDI cannot have a yearly income over 250% of the 2012 federal poverty guidelines issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The details are available in the table below:

Persons in HouseholdMonthly IncomeAnnual Income

Besides filling out the application, you will have to include proof of:

  • Ownership
  • Birthdate
  • Residence

If you receive SSI or SSDI, you also need to provide a Benefits Verification Letter.

Senior Head of Household Credit in Alameda County

To qualify for the Senior Head of Household Credit, you need to meet the following requirements:

  • You are 65 or older on December 31 of the tax year
  • Your adjusted gross income is not over $79,539
  • You qualified as head of the household for at least one of the previous two years
  • Your qualifying person died in the previous two years

If you meet the above-listed eligibility criteria, you can claim up to $1,499.

Alameda County Homeowners’ Exemption

To qualify for the Alameda County Homeowners’ exemption, you need to own and live in a home that is your principal place of residence. You will get up to a $7,000 reduction of your property’s full cash value.

Once you file for the homeowners’ exemption and receive it, you do not need to file it again unless you move from the residence.

For more info about available property tax exemptions for senior citizens and property tax assessment in California, check out DoNotPay’s guides.

DoNotPay Will Show You How To Reduce Property Tax Bills

DoNotPay has a database with updated property tax information. Provide the specifics of your property, location, and other basics, and we will generate a guide customized for your needs.

Your part of the job is easy and brief:

  1. in a web browser
  2. Locate our Property Tax feature
  3. Answer a few questions about you and your property

You will get your own property tax exemption and appeal instructions containing information on how the property tax assessment process works. Review them and initiate the procedure of reducing your future property tax bills smoothly.

Clear Out Your Daily Tasks Fast With DoNotPay

Are your parking tickets piling up, but the process of appealing them is way too complicated? Do you struggle to pay your bills but are not sure how to get an extension? Is it time to extend your driver's license, but reaching the DMV is a nightmare?

DoNotPay will turn all of these dreadful tasks into easy-to-do items you can check off your agenda quickly!

Get rid of spam emails, texts, and calls quickly using our AI-powered app!

Learn how to secure compensation from airlines, get your college fees waived, claim your lost funds, or reduce your property tax—all with a few clicks!

Subscription Issues? DoNotPay Can Help!

If you are looking to test out a service, think twice before disclosing your payment info. Companies will often ask you for your credit card details even when signing up for a free trial—they charge you once the trial expires.

Use our virtual credit card, and don't worry about unwanted charges!

Our credit card gets automatically approved for any free trial, but it rejects any real charges since there is no money on it.

DoNotPay will locate and cancel all your unwanted subscriptions without you having to deal with customer service reps.

We can also help you request refunds from companies or take them to small claims court if they refuse to cooperate.

Want your issue solved now?